Toyota sludge at 8,700 miles, really??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that old thing. It could be true the engine looks like that, why not?

But with him "thoughtfully" adding oil to the coolant fill, it's an exercise in futility....

Bogus fake story. I've worked at Toyota/Lexus for over 20 years. First of all, the first picture shows a timing belt which is a replacement one. The OEM belts had no part numbers or white lettering, so it shows that the engine at least having a timing belt replacement before this sludge repair. Part of the repair procedure was to NEVER use solvents to clean the sludge. Only clean by hand, scape out & use rags only. Valve covers were also replaced with new updated ones. Valve covers on the last picture are original which makes me think this repair was way over the warranty extension or 150,000 miles. The oil cap is upside down too

Last edited:
mehullica is right..bogus..look at the exhaust manifold..that engine has been around the block a time or two..9000 miles, I doubt it..unless somebody did a trick with the odometer.

I don't know, the rest of that engine compartment looks pretty low mileage. If Grandma just drove down the street and back for 8,700 miles, I could see it being quite a mess.

Someone posted bogus information on the Internet? Tell me it isn't so.

Someone has an ax to grind or is upset because they got caught abusing their vehicle?

How many people do something stupid with their vehicle and then lie to cover their stupidity?

This story has made the rounds quite a few times. It's time to put it to rest.

Don't know if shenanigans or not. But I do hope they are not putting oil in the cooling system. The funnel is in the radiator cap IIRC my Sienna of similar vintage.

Ya'll, just like bonzai kittens: these bogus stories perpetuates on the internet and will not die, provided that there are someone who just, for the sake of reposting (for entertainment purposes), and the hit count will keep these postings alive forever.

If I'm to bust the truth out on the internet: most trolls and some posters are nothing but blowhards and (some are outright liers) more....they thought they can hide behind their monikers and pretend to be an astronaut or nuclear scientists (or competent mech, which happens here on BITOG on a regular basis) and post things that they can't even back up/support, or with little to no facts to back things up.

As internet discussion boards goes on, this is becoming fairly common...as I've had enough of bullpucky from toynation boards with lots of 1/2 arsh posters who pretend to be "somebody" but judging by their work posted, they are totally amateurish if not micky-mouse jobs, makes me laugh and question their integrity if not competency.

Don't believe in all the things out on the internet these days, and I'm also gradually cutting down (losing interest) in BITOG as time goes by ....to many loud-mouth blowhards who wants their final say but can't walk-da-walk and talk-da-talk...

Q.

Well, that rant goes hand in hand with your sig. Is that a repost? link?

You've lost that Bitog Feeling ...

Lost that bitog feeling

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Why would a 2001 only have 8,700 miles on it?

Perhaps Tegger posted this 10 years ago?

Originally Posted By: mehullica
The OEM belts had no part numbers or white lettering, so it shows that the engine at least having a timing belt replacement before this sludge repair.

The white lettering looks like it's on an accessory (serpentine?) belt that looks narrower than the T-belt.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
But with him "thoughtfully" adding oil to the coolant fill, it's an exercise in futility....

The funnel is just sitting on top of the coolant cap, not in the fill hole.
A bit of subtle humor, which obviously has escaped you.

So, do any of you nay-sayers have a website online that's 10% as informative as Tegger's?

Last edited:
The Toyota engine sludge thing is blown out of proportion. The average American isn't like us and pay attention to every mile we drive, what oil is in there or what conditions we drive. If you have some common sense the Toyota engines won't sludge. I had a 97' Camry with the 2.2L (included in the engine sludge era) and I took off the valve cover at 186k miles and it was spotless, just the slightest varnish.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Why would a 2001 only have 8,700 miles on it?

Perhaps Tegger posted this 10 years ago?

Yep. I put that up in 2005.

The story is 100% true. There's way more to the story than I am allowed to post online, even at this late date.

As for the red funnel inserted into the coolant neck but the text referring to adding oil, that is MY mistake. I have not updated the site in ages, but I did just fix this mistake. Circuitsmith is the ONLY person in ten years to have called me on that mistake, so a thank-you to him for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back