Toyota Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking into a mini van as my family is just outgrowing the wife's Ford Edge. The Edge has been a spectacular vehicle for us but two rear facing car seats and a booster are not going to fit comfortably in the back. Had considered a Chrysler Pacifica but it seems like everyone I've talked to that has had one has had issues with it. I would be looking in the
2016 and up age range. So is there any common issue with the Sienna I should be looking for? Is it a good vehicle overrall? I'm not too familiar with Toyota as I've always owned and worked on Fords and GM products.

Our second choice would be to move up to a Ford Expediton as I'm familiar with what to look for on those. The fuel mileage difference is pretty significant between the two and we both feel that a mini van just has the advantage over a truck based suv when it comes to people hauling.

Sienna, Odyssey, Pilot, Highlander, all good vehicles. Sienna might have a slight leg up on the Odyssey but we love our Odyssey.

I have a 2017. There was a problem with the transmission but they replaced it under warranty.
Toyota ended up extending the transmission warranty for all Sienna.
They sent a letter to be kept if transmission ever fail.

Mine is around 51K now, the transmission was replaced at around 19K.
No problem so far.

It is not perfect van but so far the engine has been very reliable, there is nothing to replace on my part except oil.

2015-2016 Sienna is a great choice. In 2017 or 2018 they went with a 8 speed transmission and there was been some issues with that. 2015-2016 is a solid year.

Last edited:
I have a 13 Sienna that just turned over 100k. Other than recall work, it has been flawless. It chews through tires. We love it.

Our 2012 Toyota Sienna just had the alternator go out. New accessory belt and alternator. 95,000 miles. My mechanic said he has been seeing this around 100k on these. Otherwise been flawless.

The Sienna seems more trouble free compared to the Odyssey, no VCM to worry about - the 8-speed can be finicky.

The usual Camry/Avalon/ES and Highlander/RX caveats apply to the Sienna but the 2GR-FE/FSE in the newer ones has proven to be a relatively solid motor.

We have a 2011 with the 6speed transmission that's been great up to 135,000. This was the first year of the body style they still make now. It is much larger than my Pilot on the inside, and no timing belt, but not nearly as nice in the interior. Would buy again to haul kids.

One other note, the third row folds flat but the middle row you have to remove. This is easy for me, I'm not sure my wife has the upper body strength.

Originally Posted by bepperb

One other note, the third row folds flat but the middle row you have to remove. This is easy for me, I'm not sure my wife has the upper body strength.

The ones on the 3rd gen 2011-on models are almost Lexus-like and heavy on the Limited models. I've always called the Sienna a Lexus in soccer mom drag, it does drive, sound and mostly felt like a Lexus ES or RX.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mbacfp
Our 2012 Toyota Sienna just had the alternator go out. New accessory belt and alternator. 95,000 miles. My mechanic said he has been seeing this around 100k on these. Otherwise been flawless.

I had to replace the alternator on mine at around 135k.

I bought mine last year at 132k miles and aside from the alternator, it's been perfect. I have 140k now. I chose a Sienna because I wanted AWD, and the Sienna is the only minivan built within the last 15 years with AWD (although Chrysler will be offering AWD on the Pacifica next year). It's excellent in the snow.

2013 Sienna XLE with 107k miles only issue was the sliding door which was repaired as part of a recall. Brakes have lasted over 60k miles. Tires won't last their full warranty period but that is a minivan issue not a Sienna.

Coming from my 2004 Quest, this van has been a welcome pleasure.

Originally Posted by exranger06
Originally Posted by mbacfp

I had to replace the alternator on mine at around 135k.

I bought mine last year at 132k miles and aside from the alternator, it's been perfect. I have 140k now. I chose a Sienna because I wanted AWD, and the Sienna is the only minivan built within the last 15 years with AWD (although Chrysler will be offering AWD on the Pacifica next year). It's excellent in the snow.

We have the limited no AWD. Ours doesn't burn any oil...so I'm hoping to get to 140k and beyond. Recently did a drain and fill of transmission fluid. OP, we drive this car everywhere and our kids watch TV, etc. Not babied and has been great up to 95k miles (alternator actually shorted out).

Went through the pain of airbag recall and sliding door recalls...but it is a great vehicle.

The Sienna sliding door system is fairly robust and doesn't seem too terrible to service unlike the Odyssey. Aisin-sourced, the motor that works the main cable is in the door. Unlike the Odyssey, you don't need to discharge the HVAC or drain coolant since the working bits aren't in the rear quarter panels.

The actuator motor tends to be the thing that goes out the most, if you're comfortable taking it part the small 12V motor is replaceable.

[/quote]

We have the limited no AWD. Ours doesn't burn any oil...so I'm hoping to get to 140k and beyond. Recently did a drain and fill of transmission fluid. OP, we drive this car everywhere and our kids watch TV, etc. Not babied and has been great up to 95k miles (alternator actually shorted out).

Went through the pain of airbag recall and sliding door recalls...but it is a great vehicle.[/quote]

Did you do the drain and fill yourself? I know it's not so easy on newer Toyota's because they don't come with a dipstick anymore.

Originally Posted by diyjake

Went through the pain of airbag recall and sliding door recalls...but it is a great vehicle.[/quote]

Did you do the drain and fill yourself? I know it's not so easy on newer Toyota's because they don't come with a dipstick anymore.
[/quote]

I had the drain and fill (transmission and coolant) done by my mechanic. Then 3,000 miles later coolant was drained again to put in new alternator...so coolant should be real clean.

Well that was easy enough
lol.gif

I wanted to do it to mine but sold it around 70k miles.

Toyota makes great cars
smile.gif

The Sienna is as good as any other Toyota

I'm surprised you're not considering the Transit Connect, being that you like Ford and looking for a minivan
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Toyota makes great cars
smile.gif

The Sienna is as good as any other Toyota

I'm surprised you're not considering the Transit Connect, being that you like Ford and looking for a minivan
crazy2.gif

I'd love a transit connect. Easy to work on cheap to buy(especially on d plan), very utilitarian. The wife hates them, she wants all those bells and whistles. That's why she was so drawn to the Pacifica initially.

Admittedly there's absolutely nothing joy inspiring about driving a Transit Connect they handle like an 80's station wagon!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back