Toyota Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GF's dad has a 2012 Sienna limited v6 AWD. We live in a part of NH with roads that are steep, winding, challenging. Especially in bad snowy weather like today. That Sienna is the best handling, best performing vehicle in the family in all conditions. Including my Escalade. Accelerates fast. Shifts are smooth. Great braking and power steering. Handling is really good. I know because of taking a few rides with her dad. He's been deaf since childhood, so he can't tell how hard he's working that van. Stomping on the gas up steep hills. Slamming on the brakes on the way back down. Going into corners at a rate of speed that scares us all. Tapping him on the shoulder as he goes too fast on the highway. Its so smooth you can't tell how fast you're going. He's been treating it like that since new. 130k miles so far. It needed a water pump. And he goes through brake pads every other year lol. Thats not the vans fault. No other issues. So.. yeah. Its a good van.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Did you do the drain and fill yourself? I know it's not so easy on newer Toyota's because they don't come with a dipstick anymore.

I did a drain and fill on my Sienna myself. It's kind of a pain. I removed the pan and changed the filter. Going forward, I will only change the fluid without dropping the pan. It's too much hassle to remove the pan, and the filter is basically a screen that only catches large chunks anyway. It's not really worth the time. I had to unbolt the transmission mount and loosen an engine mount and jack the transmission up a few inches to access some of the pan bolts (the subframe is in the way).

Draining the fluid is easy - it has a drain plug. Refilling is pretty easy - It has a fill plug, and you use a pump to refill it, just like a differential. Making sure the fluid level is correct is the tricky part. You need to make sure the fluid temp is between 109 and 113 *F, or the level will be wrong. Not all scanners will display the ATF temperature. I used a Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor and the Torque Pro app. I talked more about how I did that in this thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...id-change-on-toyota-vehicles#Post5278431

Originally Posted by cb_13

Admittedly there's absolutely nothing joy inspiring about driving a Transit Connect they handle like an 80's station wagon!

They're underpowered too - since they share drivetrains with the Focus and Escape. It's fine for around town as Ford focused them for the city. But load the passenger version up with people and you'll be wanting more power to keep moving.

So, I was in the same boat. Had 2013 BMW X5 35d, an excellent vehicle in every aspect except space. With second child on the way and the fact we do a lot of long trips, I figured big SUV is an answer.
Soon, I realized that I am not getting anything meaningful compared to X5, but losing a lot in driving dynamics. So, I decided to go Sienna way only bcs. engine 2GR-FE is pretty stout and 6 speed automatic is very reliable. Plus, compared to SUV's, they are much cheaper used. I needed AWD, that was a must, so SIenna was only option. Got 2015 with 42k, Limited.
I bought used in 2018, but under no circumstances I was going for 2017 and younger due to issues with 8 speed. Also, new engine, although on paper looks stronger, is in real life weaker at lower rpm's, and older engine is already very lazy at low rpm's.
How is it?
Family wise, it is an excellent choice. I would go with it again since is it super practical. You cannot beat minivan for family needs, and AWD, while super simple and compared to our Tiguan and especially BMW, not to be proud of, it does its job especially since I have snow tires on the vehicle.
Now, coming from BMW I never got over how cheap it is inside, that it rattles all around, that suspension regardless that it is soft, transfers more bumps than my 328i, that need like 10 miles for engine to warm up, and engine has useful power only between 4000-5000rpm for any vehicle passing etc.
It immediately had similar issues like my Land Cruiser in Europe. Brakes are not of highest quality and rotors will start vibrate if you are bit aggressive. Solved with EBC brakes. Battery regardless that it moves electric sliding doors, electric trunk etc. is actually smaller than in my Tiguan or 328i, which does not have electric trunk or not to mention sliding doors. Expect sudden death, which happened to me last fall. Upgrade battery capacity if you get it. Expect rattling windows, mirrors that move (there is way to fix it). If you get Limited like mine, you will have JBL system. If you like loud music like I do, consider sound damping as once you hike up music, everything starts rattle.
However, I am starting to think on trips to Home Depot it might be more useful than pick up truck. Three kids? Minivan is the only way to go.

Last edited:
You are so fancy, so bourgeoisie edyvw
lol.gif

Originally Posted by edyvw
Three kids? Minivan is the only way to go.

An old friend and his wife I knew since high school had kid #3 in planning stages. They outgrew their 2010 Forester and now they were about to outgrow their 2012 Highlander. They didn't want to buy a Tahoe or Expy so they got a Sienna XLE AWD and they love it. He's still driving the Forester as his DD, he still works at the family bakery but the wifey considers the Sienna her DD.

A minivan is the only thing outside of an Element or a long-bed pickup truck that can comfortably swallow 4x8 sheet goods and other things with ease. In my parent's 05 Sienna, I've hauled a new water heater, sheetrock, bikes and other things.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by bbhero
You are so fancy, so bourgeoisie edyvw
lol.gif

hey someone has to do it
smile.gif

Might as well be you then ..
lol.gif

I have a Toyota sienna. A 2008 model with 336,000 miles. It does not use oil between oil changes. It runs great! I use Mobil1 5w-30 ep and go 20,000 miles on each oil change. I changed the water pump out at 327,000 miles. I change the tranny fluid every 50,000 miles and the coolant out every 100,000 miles. I change out the spark plugs every 125,000 miles. I change out the brake fluid every 50,000 miles. so far, so good. The Toyota sienna van is the best van to buy of all of the minivans IMHO.

Have had good luck with my 2012. Battery and charging system has been fine with an East Penn power source. Drain and fill every 40000-50000 miles. Coolant flush around 117000. I haven't done plugs yet. Very reliable with the door and airbag recalls performed. I would avoid the 17 and up since they went to the 8 speed. I also think those years has a different type of injection. Maybe port and direct injection. If the water pump needs replaced is that a good time to do plugs as well?

Originally Posted by oilstudent24
Have had good luck with my 2012. Battery and charging system has been fine with an East Penn power source. Drain and fill every 40000-50000 miles. Coolant flush around 117000. I haven't done plugs yet. Very reliable with the door and airbag recalls performed. I would avoid the 17 and up since they went to the 8 speed. I also think those years has a different type of injection. Maybe port and direct injection. If the water pump needs replaced is that a good time to do plugs as well?

I would do coils too, as you really do not want to come back to that again unless you made another 120k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back