Toyota oil filters and timing chain rattles.

I've had the same occasional defect with YZZD3 filters causing noisy rattle on cold startup after sitting overnight/weekend, fixed each time by replacing the filter with another YZZD3. And each time the take-off filter drained empty after sitting base-down on my oil drain overnight, as they mount on the engine.

So I've been looking for a good alternative with YZZD3's taller body and larger filtration area, found this Wix XP with same bypass pressure and base gasket specs (compared to their part# specified for the '07 4Runner):

Here's the Wix page for it: https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1863384

Got one on order at my local NAPA and will report back with observations.

Here's the Wix page for it: https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1863384

Got one on order at my local NAPA and will report back with observations.
Update: I didn't buy this filter. Here's my thinking and I'm interested in feedback:

In an application where the filter mounts threads-down on top of the engine, no ADBV is going to prevent the filter canister from draining at least partially given the oil can pass thru the filter media and into the "clean" side.

Granted the clean route is restricted by the engine's bearing clearances, so this flow is somewhat limited with the engine shut down. But some emptying of the filter canister via oil flow through the filter media and discharge through the clean outlet is unavoidable in this design.

A higher-volume filter canister will take more time to refill during initial startup...resulting in a longer delay in delivering pressurized oil to the engine's bearings.

Therefore, my thinking is that going too big on filter canister volume works against the goal of engine longevity in a top-of-engine-threads-down filter mount application. Any thoughts?

Update: I didn't buy this filter. Here's my thinking and I'm interested in feedback:

In an application where the filter mounts threads-down on top of the engine, no ADBV is going to prevent the filter canister from draining at least partially given the oil can pass thru the filter media and into the "clean" side.

Granted the clean route is restricted by the engine's bearing clearances, so this flow is somewhat limited with the engine shut down. But some emptying of the filter canister via oil flow through the filter media and discharge through the clean outlet is unavoidable in this design.

A higher-volume filter canister will take more time to refill during initial startup...resulting in a longer delay in delivering pressurized oil to the engine's bearings.

Therefore, my thinking is that going too big on filter canister volume works against the goal of engine longevity in a top-of-engine-threads-down filter mount application. Any thoughts?
I did an ADBV test a while back where the filter sat for a week with the base down, and the filter was still full of oil. The oil did not drain out through the media into the center tube and out the center hole. I don't think it would when mounted on the engine either. If you punched a hole in the dome, then the oil trapped in the filter would drain out the center tube. It's kind of like when when a straw can hold liquid as long as you have you finger over the end, but release your finger an the straw will empty.

Any 4-cylinder Toyota made after 2010 has startup rattles. Camry, Corolla, etc. Can't say if it's because the owner gets **** oil or filter, though

Or their oil pressure pump design is weak.

I had a 1988 Camry 4 cyl and the filter no matter which brand was empty when removed after sitting over night.

Back