Toyota oil filters and timing chain rattles.

Occasionally I pick up the Toyota oil filters @ Walmart. The number escapes me right now but it's the number that fits our 07 FJ.

Had one that let the chain rattles a few months ago. Ran a wix for a while and it was fine. Last time I used another Toyota filter and the timing chain rattles If the car sits a few days.

Anyone else have this problem?

I also have an '07 FJ (now 163k miles) and only used a Toyota oil filter for the first few OCI's when first new. Since then I've used Amsoil and now Fram Ultra's. A couple of years ago the chain started to rattle mid OCI, I believed it was the chain tensioner which runs off oil pressure. I bought a new tensioer but was never able to get the old one out to replace it. I couldn't get the pin to retract and there was limited space to work with. The tensioner eventually freed it itself up and the chain got quiet again, on it's own. That was probably 20k miles ago. It's been quiet ever since.

Update: I just took the Toyota filter off after the car had sat 1 whole day. Filter is bone dry! No oil at all. Didn't spill a drop.

Threw a champion with a silicone anti rain back valve on it. It's slightly shorter than the Toyota filter.

What's the filter mounting position? Base up, base down, vertical, angled, horizontal ... ???
Right on top. Threads down. Here is a pic from the internet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-203403.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-203403.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 202
I've had that happen too Chris. In the lady's 98 Camry. Pull the filter off and zeronoil comes out. And it's set in a fashion like yours. Other filters have had oil come out ofthem when removed from the block.

The Grand Marquis in my sig does it, but it's the chain tensioners leaking on mine, multiple filters haven't helped. Cranking for 15-20 seconds with the go pedal floored helps, though!

Interesting, on several cars I have owned with downward facing oil filters the filters all drained oil out if removed soon after the engine is stopped, and all were bone dry if left for several hours or overnight. I almost always let it drain all night. Bone dry. The oil is still behind the adbv but whatever could make it’s way out the center hole, did. All had small catch basins for the oil under the filter. The Maxima even had a tube from the catch basin so the oil would come out below. Never ever saw any difference between filters, and the Toyota ones acted the same as the Ultra, Boss, and others.

Occasionally I pick up the Toyota oil filters @ Walmart. The number escapes me right now but it's the number that fits our 07 FJ.

Had one that let the chain rattles a few months ago. Ran a wix for a while and it was fine. Last time I used another Toyota filter and the timing chain rattles If the car sits a few days.

Anyone else have this problem?
Does have coil spring orr leaf spring?

I’ve had long interval start up rattles on my v6 4.0 tacoma with a mobil1 filter and a Toyota yzzd3. In both cases I just swapped the filter for a new one and they went away.

Not bad for nearing 11 years and 150k miles. That’s like 20-30 filters over the life of the vehicle.

Back