Toyota Oil Filter Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for resurrecting this 1.5 year old thread, but it answered my question on which correct Toyota oil filter to use. Or at least for my vehicle. Quickly: 2012 Tacoma 2.7L base, SR5 4X4 5-speed manual. I'm now starting to do my own oil changes since I'm tired of dealer shenanigans. Toyota Owners website STILL states my vehicle should be using the Toyota oil filter 90915-YZZD1. This is the Denso made in Thailand. The dealer recently sold me the 99015-G2 saying this replaced the D1 (for once I got the truth I believe). I went through all my service receipts since I bought the truck new in late 2011 and dealership has used FOUR different oil filters the last 7 years: The 90915-YZZD1, D3, G1 & G2. A quick check shows the dealer used the D1 & G2 the most. I found on e-steal a decent bulk price for the D1. The G2 are about $3 to $4 more.? Oh well, guess I'll wait until Denso quits making them and I'll start purchasing the more expensive G2 Made in U.S.A.. Thought I'd share.

I have a 2005 Tacoma with the 2.7. I started with the 08922-02011, then 90915-yzzd1, then 90915-yzzG1, and last time I bought 4 of the 90915-yzzg2. I did my own servicing after the first several free ones at dealer and bought my filters at the dealer. So far, and it's been over 2 years since I bought some, they gave me a discount for buying several filters a time. Last time I bought , the price averaged about $4.75 each. Each time they said the new filter number was the current one to be used.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Thanks for your help. It's still very weird when I follow the flow in my OP and it gives me that particular recommendation . What got me thinking yesterday while watching the Parts Mgr was his indecisiveness while trying to figure which filter to get me. He seemed very unsure...

That's BS trust me if you brought that car into the Stealership to have your oil changed you'd never hear they didn't have the right filter to go on your truck because they couldn't figure it out you need a new dealer trust me. Go to Walmart and look on their little filter finder. Beside a Tough Guard has much better efficiency than a Toyota filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Thanks for your help. It's still very weird when I follow the flow in my OP and it gives me that particular recommendation . What got me thinking yesterday while watching the Parts Mgr was his indecisiveness while trying to figure which filter to get me. He seemed very unsure...

That's BS trust me if you brought that car into the Stealership to have your oil changed you'd never hear they didn't have the right filter to go on your truck because they couldn't figure it out you need a new dealer trust me. Go to Walmart and look on their little filter finder. Beside a Tough Guard has much better efficiency than a Toyota filter.

Walmart has Toyota filters on the shelves now. Maybe your filter is there?

Walmart has Toyota filters on the shelves now. Maybe your filter is there?

So far no Toyota Oil Filters on my local Wally World shelves. They do offer them via internet sales. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by goodtimes
Originally Posted by goodtimes
The D1 and G2 are interchangeable, use one or the other, all the same except where it's made and the design. Does the G2 have louvers instead of round holes in the center tube?

It may be because Denso Thailand is having a hard time producing enough filters, is my guess why the G2 is a preplacement for the D1

The G2 has round holes in the tubes, made in USA, and red/pink silicone valve. ON the top of the canister it has stamped "F07J31E2G"

I believe that was made July 31, 2017, and having round holes is something other Purolators are no longer using. Any sign of the ADBV extending into the inlet holes and having cuts? Interesting Toyota chose round holes over louvers. I would use them if everything checks out, especially for $4.

Puro has been known to make filters per tight OEM spec and QC. If anything, Motorcraft and Mopar filters survived Teargate and Cutgate compared to their main lines.

Not always. Sometimes a Motorcraft will tear.

[Linked Image]

Dome end tear.

[Linked Image]

Thread end tear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back