Toyota license plate bolts/screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
question is what are the length and size threads on the rav4 license plate bolts?
why do I ask? , dealer put the temp tags on our new rav4 with 2 inch long bolts even when screwed down tight thebolt heads do not tounch the paper temporay tag and it tries to blow off (rips out on one side) and when the metal plate came. I had to put an inch of washers under the heads of the bolts. dealer is 200 miles away.
are the bolts metric or US thread? and how long- looks like a 1/2 inch long 3/8 inch fine thread would be fine? Hardware store probably has the right bolt.

just take it to a local hardware store and try out a few threads.

I forget what it is, but it is metric.

I bought some stainless screws for our scion, ended up working fine.

Yep, first thing (well maybe not the "first") thing I do when purchasing a "new" Toyota is to get me some SS license plate screws. They have metric threads. I would do what JustinH suggests.

Call the sales manager tomorrow and explain the situation to him/her. They should happily send out the correct hardware.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
dealer is 200 miles away.

Can't imagine a Toyota dealer being that far away anywhere in SC. You don't have to go back to the SAME dealer.

They're usually metric M6x1.0mm either phillip pan heads or 10mm flange heads.
[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

Or something like this if standard size
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

All can be found at a Home Depot in the hardware aisle where the drawers are or local auto parts store.

Last edited:
Pretty sure my Rav uses the same size as my 4Runner. M6x16mm is what came out. I used a couple from this set as replacements.
50 PCS Socket Head Cap Screw Assortment Set, M6 x 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm, and 25mm, Stainless Steel 304, Bright Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCPJJ26/

For security reasons because my wife travels on her job, I have these on all our vehicles. Stainless steel. They can be defeated with vice grips or the proper bit, but a thief might choose an easier target.

[Linked Image]

Dealer quality work strikes again.

When I got my used Corolla, the rear plates were held by cross threaded plated sheet metal screws. When they started to rust, I replaced them with Metric, after chasing the threads with thread reformers (Lang as resold by Craftsman).

When I got my used Camry, guess what was holding the rear plates? Same thing.

Skyactiv, Security Torx, that's a great idea. I might just pick up some.

M6x1.0 20mm for my toyota and mazdas. Do NOT use anything other than stainless steel screws. don't ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by windeye
M6x1.0 20mm for my toyota and mazdas. Do NOT use anything other than stainless steel screws. don't ask me how I know.

A search for M6-1.0 will get better results than M6x1.0. And 20mm is a bit long for some license plate mounts.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Two pages talking just about license plate screws?

Does it personally offend you?

My personal favorite mounting method is Volvo's. They have a nice stainless bracket with studs and 10mm acorn nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back