Toyota Hybrid: 150,000 mile Battery Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While waiting for my dinner to cook tonight, I opened up a brochure on the 2007 Toyota line-up and on the very last page, I noticed in small print that the expected battery life for the battery pack is 150,000 miles based on laboratory bench testing.

I had always thought that Toyota had refrained from making any specific statements regarding hybrid battery life, other than, the battery should last the life of the vehicle. While the Hybrid battery is warrantied for ten years or 150,000 miles in my state, it's still rather unwelcoming information to me if the battery pack is truly designed to only last 150,000 miles.

Now, I did a Google search and found the following info from the official Toyota website:

Quote:

Q: How long do the high-voltage batteries last?

GS: We designed them to last for the life of the vehicle. We're aware of owners who have racked up a quarter-million miles without replacing the batteries.

From: http://www.toyota.com/html/hybridsynergyview/2006/fall/battery.html

So, why does that information contradict what I read tonight, from the Toyota brochure?

IMG_0777-1.jpg

Comments?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure "life of the vehicle" means 150,000 miles these days.

The comment about a quarter million miles is them blowing smoke up your you know what; of course there are owners who haven't replaced the battery in that long. It says nothing about the battery still working efficiently for those owners, my money is on it is not.

Frankly, I'm impressed they can get the batteries to hold out for as long as they do, I can't seem to get a set of NiMH rechargeable for my digital camera to last more than a year or two.

Fact of it is, no company-- not Toyota, not Honda, not GM, not BMW, really designs its cars to last more than 200,000 miles any more. Sure some of them make it that far, and farther, but it's not the norm.

GMH tried to convince the Australian Government that the "design life" of a modern car is 80,000km (50k miles), and that people certainly should not be allowed to take a 1970's vehicle, repower it, and put it back on the road.

Ford jumped on board, and also confirmed that the "design life" of a Ford was 80,000 km.

Until the public cottoned on to the fact that these statements were causing resale prices to drop.

Then the car manufacturers dropped that line, and went to 10,000/15,000km services.

A friend of mine is an engineer for parts(seals). Design life is 150k miles however those 150k miles are not easy ones in their extrapolated tests.

Driven pure city I believe that # is reasonable which is the hardest driving not only on engine but cycling of battery. I have a feeling those who driving on the highway(higher mileage) are much easier vehicle and battery but no real proof to back that up.

So you figure in the 2 grand for batteries at 150k, which makes 150k in the hybrid cost ??? vs ??? for a comparable non hybrid?

In fleet service we have well over 100 Prius's in service in California and as many the other 49 states. Because of the driver requests and the reliability these vehicles are kept past the usual 20-120k miles of other fleet vehicles, often to 200k. We have never had a battery failure except in one crashed Prius that wiped out the car. The main battery pack has been a zero problem. Most expert opinions about the Prius come from those that may have test driven the vehicle or read about it but not from long time owners or techs that service them. And by the way, the battery in the totaled Prius did not leak or move out of it's mounting and the driver and passenger were unhurt. This car was stopped at a red light and was hit by a van full of visitors from the south that was traveling at 50mph per CHP report. The battery did not harm anyone, did not short out or leak and did not become a missile that would kill the passengers. This kind of performance is a disappointment to many but the Prius is a pretty good car.

Quote:

Frankly, I'm impressed they can get the batteries to hold out for as long as they do, I can't seem to get a set of NiMH rechargeable for my digital camera to last more than a year or two.

Of course, your camera does not have a sophisticated computer system constantly measuring and adjusting a bunch of variables so as to "mother hen" the maximum life from its NiMHs. As surprisingly small as the Prius' battery is, it's actually larger than theoretically necessary for its intended purpose. Toyota determined that battery life is maximized under certain conditions, most notably that charge state must not drop below about 40% or rise above 80% of total capacity. So in some sense, the capacity below 40 and above 80 is "wasted," but it is there to ensure that the NiMH battery can be used "properly." There are also concerns about how fast juice flows in or out, and with temperature. The ECU monitors these parameters and manages things so that the goal of long battery life is never compromised.

Alas, the ECU can't do much to protect the battery, or the car for that matter, from a speeding van full of -- well -- any folks legal or otherwise.

I'm not sure I buy the 150k mile battery life prediction. Really, think about it. Does it make any more sense than saying this engine or that will last x miles? I'm thinking that, in the long run, things like climate conditions, driving patterns and habits, vehicle loading, and so forth, will result in a pretty wide range of actual real-world results. And remember, many of the early Prii are now at or beyond this mark, and so far as I can tell, there hasn't been a rash of "old battery" replacements happening.
cheers.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

GMH tried to convince the Australian Government that the "design life" of a modern car is 80,000km (50k miles), and that people certainly should not be allowed to take a 1970's vehicle, repower it, and put it back on the road.

Ford jumped on board, and also confirmed that the "design life" of a Ford was 80,000 km.

Until the public cottoned on to the fact that these statements were causing resale prices to drop.

Then the car manufacturers dropped that line, and went to 10,000/15,000km services.

Not only that, but much fewer people would be able to own vehicles. My first car was a Daytona that had 177,995 miles when I bought it. And the Crown Vic I just got has 226K(only 106K on the current engine/tranny/suspension though).
Limiting vehicles to a mandated retirement at 50K means that almost no used cars will be in lower price ranges.

50K is just silly. If the car you are designing can only affordably handle 50K, you need to perhaps design less stressed devices...like legos.
laugh.gif

Quote:

While waiting for my dinner to cook tonight, I opened up a brochure on the 2007 Toyota line-up and on the very last page, I noticed in small print that the expected battery life for the battery pack is 150,000 miles based on laboratory bench testing.

I had always thought that Toyota had refrained from making any specific statements regarding hybrid battery life, other than, the battery should last the life of the vehicle. While the Hybrid battery is warrantied for ten years or 150,000 miles in my state, it's still rather unwelcoming information to me if the battery pack is truly designed to only last 150,000 miles.

Now, I did a Google search and found the following info from the official Toyota website:

Quote:

GS: We designed them to last for the life of the vehicle. We're aware of owners who have racked up a quarter-million miles without replacing the batteries.

From: http://www.toyota.com/html/hybridsynergyview/2006/fall/battery.html

So, why does that information contradict what I read tonight, from the Toyota brochure?

IMG_0777-1.jpg

Comments?

Thanks.

Critic , I just reread everything on the link you provided .

My question to you is 'where is the contradiction' by Toyota ?

BTW , For those that are interested and can read , within the link there is a section covering a Toyota provided simple estimate of the cost of a simple battery replacement .

From the link ;

GS: We designed them to last for the life of the vehicle. We're aware of owners who have racked up a quarter-million miles without replacing the batteries. ( So this could be legitimately anywhere from 8/100 to 10/150 ) .

Q: What would it cost to replace a complete battery pack?

GS: Less than $3000, plus labor.

Q: How long is the warranty?

GS: The high-voltage batteries are warranted for eight years or 100,000 miles, and under California regulations the battery warranty extends to 10 years or 150,000 miles.

-----------

If you search the Internet , the more recent total cost to replace the battery are being reported as between 3600.00/4700.00 . This varies in not only the usual ways (location , etc ) but also is sometimes effected by recommendations to replace other related components .

There is another group reporting in the 5000.00 - 6000.00 $ range , at least some of these seem to have been based on higher (older) battery and conponent prices .

Critic , in just general and informal laymans terms the useful economic life of a vehicle in the USA is pretty much bounded by roughly 8yr./100k thru 10-12yrs./150-160k .

Also relevant here is that in Japan the upper limit of a modified definition of useful economic life (current) is pretty close to 7-8yr/100k .

None of this ( in a limited sense ) is bad nor does it reflect poorly on hybrid batteries ; its just the way part of it it is for light duty automotive .

The hightest modern 'design durability factors' that you can even find an inkling of are in the the 10-12 yr.? range and 200,000 miles .

I haven't made a study of this by any means but so far , the only things I 've seen using these higher standards that even look remotely creditable concern GM ATs and GM brake hoses . Thats not a whole lot of stuff .

Yes , many things go way past that (including whole vehicles ) and no , we really haven't much real information in this regard in the public domain .

There is much more to this ; battery life is not controlled in the same way transmission and IC engine is .

TIME , battery charge/discharge cycles (qualities and quanities ) , temperature ( esp. heat ) effect battery life more rapidly and certainty , miles are basically completely meaningless - if you have all the other information .

This can appear to create some confusion and paradoxes when comparing a battery equiped hybrid to a conventional in terms of life expectencies .

Here is just a simple example of that .

Its easier for the current crop of hybrid batteries to pull 250 - 500,000 miles (assuming semi ideal duty cycle and user factors ) in say , 3-6 years than it will be to go thru 80,000 miles in 8-10-12 years , depending .

Now compare that thought to a 'conventional' powertrain in the same circumstances - its 'more likely' to be reversed .

A battery is just a different animal than an IC Engine .

twocents.gif

In other words if you're buying a used Prius, better include the possibility of having to spend another 2-3 grand for batteries in your negotiation. And if you're a dealer trading for one, you could find yourself with another 2-3 grand invested in the trade in than you thought. Money you can't get back when you sell it.

Quote:

A battery is just a different animal than an IC Engine .

True -- but... Of course, one thing that the ICE doesn't have going for it is the computer constantly monitoring and adjusting variables with the specific goal of ensuring long life.
========================================================

Quote:

Thats why ill never buy a hybrid.

That's a pretty extreme statement, in my judgment.
ARB, I realize that I'm a relatively unusual case, since I drive close to 40k miles per year, but don't forget -- general statements in this area are pretty worthless. You've got to look at a given driver's specific circumstances to determine whether a hybrid (or any car, for that matter) makes sense. In my case, when you consider the car I came from (just a G35, not a Suburban or something like that), with my fuel savings alone, I could install a new traction battery almost every year, and break even (assuming gas at ~$3 per gallon).

Taking it a step further, I did buy a USED Prius that was Toyota Certified Used. When I bought it last year, it had only 15k miles, and with the TCU program, I get a 7/100 wty (upgraded for a few hundred to "bumper-to-bumper" coverage). I'm now up to almost 50k miles, with only a software upgrade and oil changes to report. I really doubt that they'd offer this car through the TCU program if they had any serious indicators that the traction batteries aren't reliable. And we've had Prii on our shores for over six years now, and so far, no mass failures...
cheers.gif

Quote:

In other words if you're buying a used Prius, better include the possibility of having to spend another 2-3 grand for batteries in your negotiation. And if you're a dealer trading for one, you could find yourself with another 2-3 grand invested in the trade in than you thought. Money you can't get back when you sell it.

I don't need to get that money back in a trade. Same point I made in the last post, but compared to the car I was driving before (G35), and with my mileage, I save just about enough gas money every year to install a new traction battery. I've had the car for just over a year now, and the battery is going strong. So I guess if I suffer just one battery replacement during the rest of the car's life, it's a freebie now. And my savings in the future are all gain. I can live with that. This said, I was a little irritated with the car today. I was in a hurry to get home and so I drove ~85-ish on I-10 for the last 25 miles -- and it dragged my tank mileage down to a miserable 46 mpg.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Quote:

True -- but... Of course, one thing that the ICE doesn't have going for it is the computer constantly monitoring and adjusting variables with the specific goal of ensuring long life.

Just offhand I can think of the knock sensor used to continuously adjust timing, and the oxygen sensor used to continously adjust air/fuel mixture--both of these contribute to long engine life. There's many other things that the modern fuel injection computer does to ensure long engine life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back