Toyota heads for worst loss since '50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I refuse to lead this thread to a foriegn VS domestic thread. This place is full of that. But, going further, this really shows how messed up our beloved country is right now. The manufacturing sector is bleeding. First we lost the big Steel markets, now it looks like it's gonna be cars. You can't succeed being just a service oriented economy -you gotta make stuff. While we are losing our manufacturing base and our economy weakens.....overseas are BUILDING their manufacturing base and their economies are GROWING. What a shift, huh?

GM has to go back to the days when they cared about what was rolling off the asembly line...until that happens I'll be behind the wheel of a Toyota.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
"...Every car manufacturer is feeling the pain right now, no exceptions."

Hyundai seems to be doing best followed by Subaru, both still showing sales gains.

Subaru showed decent sales gains with the Forester, riding on the coat tails of being named Motor Trend SUV of the year. All other Subaru models are down.

I'm sure Hyundai had an up-tick due to the "if you lose your job we'll buy it back" thing. Can't see sales continuing to increase if things continue this way.

Too bad so sad. Toyotas quality had dropped like a jet with out engines. I have owned a 5 of them over the years.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
"...Every car manufacturer is feeling the pain right now, no exceptions."

Hyundai seems to be doing best followed by Subaru, both still showing sales gains.

Subaru showed decent sales gains with the Forester, riding on the coat tails of being named Motor Trend SUV of the year. All other Subaru models are down.

I'm sure Hyundai had an up-tick due to the "if you lose your job we'll buy it back" thing. Can't see sales continuing to increase if things continue this way.
Wait till taxes go up to pay for the CEO bonus as the fat politicians.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
Originally Posted By: crinkles
things seemed to have fallen off a cliff down here the last month... incredible speed with which it happened.

That's the really frightening thing, is how fast this has all happened. Everyone is holding on to their money right now, paying off debt, and preparing for the worst. I bought a new pickup in August, and a month later is when this all started. Needless to say I would have never bought it knowing the economy was going to tank like it has. I still have a job, but my hours have been reduced. I work no more than 40 a week, and I consider myself to be blessed. I really didn't like a lot of overtime anyway. But at this point, who knows where this thing is going to bottom out. I remember talking with a friend 15 years ago (from the Pittsburgh area) that if we continue to allow jobs to move overseas the whole country is going to turn into one big Pittsburgh. I hope this doesn't happen, but it sure appears that way.
Economists have predicted a bad ecomony comming for a couple of years. the consumers have no clue and don't care that the products are made overseas. I am in fear of when the screwing done to the little people by the politicians/corporations/governments finally hits us.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Economists have predicted a bad ecomony comming for a couple of years.

Some of them have. Others said there was no problem.

Originally Posted By: PT1
I refuse to lead this thread to a foriegn VS domestic thread. This place is full of that. But, going further, this really shows how messed up our beloved country is right now. The manufacturing sector is bleeding. First we lost the big Steel markets, now it looks like it's gonna be cars. You can't succeed being just a service oriented economy -you gotta make stuff. While we are losing our manufacturing base and our economy weakens.....overseas are BUILDING their manufacturing base and their economies are GROWING. What a shift, huh?

GM has to go back to the days when they cared about what was rolling off the asembly line...until that happens I'll be behind the wheel of a Toyota.

Then you can now ditch the Toyota now. I see everyday quality vehicles going out the door.
grin2.gif

Its no big deal, its just a bump in the road for Toyota.

Why do so many people talk about doom and gloom like its the end of the world ?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why do so many people talk about doom and gloom like its the end of the world ?

Because that's all they hear on the "news".

Man how did the economy get so bad? Oh well, let me just drive my Toyota to Walmart, put a bunch of Chinese [censored] on my credit card and then go back to the 5 bedroom house I can't afford to make the mortgage payment on. This economy thing is everybody's fault but mine.

Yep. The guy across the street from me bought for 300k and is selling for 150k. That's a typical story now. The bankers blame it on the government, the government blames it on the bankers.

A pox on both their houses.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Man how did the economy get so bad? Oh well, let me just drive my Toyota to Walmart, put a bunch of Chinese [censored] on my credit card and then go back to the 5 bedroom house I can't afford to make the mortgage payment on. This economy thing is everybody's fault but mine.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32

thumbsup2.gif
So well said

^^^ reminds me something my brother told me yesterday....

he was telling me that he saw a Van Lines moving truck at his neighbor's house across the street from him. The family spent Sat and Sun packing up and moving all their stuff in the truck cause on Mon, they were going to get kicked out and the police would have forced them to leave and the locks on all the doors would have been replaced.
frown.gif

The family was in such a rush, they didn't even say good bye to the friends in the neighborhood, maybe the were too embarrassed.

Then you can now ditch the Toyota now. I see everyday quality vehicles going out the door.
grin2.gif

X2. GM is making some really nice cars and trucks as is Ford and Chrysler. Sadly old perceptions die hard. It's 2009 not 1979. The Big 3 make some really nice vehicles but people have it in their head that they are still making the Pinto, Vega, and K cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back