Toyota Dumps Prius As Sales Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Hybrid and electric cars were the rage when gas prices where high. The grandfather of the category has been the Toyota (NYSE: TM) which recently fell on very hard times. Sales of the hybrid were off 26.7% to 11,027 in June and 25.2% to 67,405 for the first six months. Incentives on the Prius have dropped to .9% for 72 months.

Quote:
Virtually every large global manufacturer has one or more hybrid models. This was not the case when the Prius first hit the market. Even Toyota current has hybrid and FCV (fuel cell vehicle) of its Camry, Avalon, RAV4, Highlander, and Marai models. In a sense, Toyota competes against the Prius.

The Prius is lost, virtually, in an ocean of new competition. And, there is not evidence that the ancient hybrid can battle its way back into the lead it once held. The flood of competition is too great, and being first to market no longer has any value.

http://247wallst.com/autos/2016/07/03/toyota-dumps-prius-as-sales-collapse/?yptr=yahoo

I think the main reason is ugly styling of both exterior and interior.

I posted in another thread 2016 Chevy Volt sale increase substantial over last year, both month of June and year to date. This tells me low gas price is not the main reason for Prius failure to capture/retain customers. Yes, Prius is a hybrid and Volt is plug-in hybrid, but both are intended to save gas. I don't know if Toyota drops the Prius Prime plug-in hybrid or not.

Yea, but the article fails to mention when production will end.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
confused2.gif

That's the thing....a misleading thread is started with only one link that does not state that Toyota is discontinuing production. In fact the last paragraph states: "And, there is not evidence that the ancient hybrid can battle its way back into the lead it once held"....which implies the sales "war" will continue.

What was the purpose of this thread? As gas prices drop, hybrids and economy car sales decrease...no big surprise here.

Last edited:
I think the op confused that article as being from an actual news source. No one discontinues a car selling 130,000 units per year.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
Toyota will be replacing it with the all new hybrid platform, the 2017 Prius Prime:

Toyota Prius Prime

Where is it said that Prime is replacing current Prius? It's very different and more expensive animal.

Originally Posted By: aualtima3.5
Clickbait article. Why post this junk?

Tesla astroturfs tend to hate Toyota.

Last edited:
Well, in any case, if they don't fix the styling it will only sell to geeks and nerds...

The Volt (Ampera in EU) is selling well, seems sort of OK styling wise and is plug-in... Existing Prius models are now out dated ...

Last edited:
They just revamped Prius for 2016,no way they are dumping it or replacing it with another car after just 1 year.... Even Toyota isn't that stupid.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
Originally Posted By: Al
confused2.gif

That's the thing....a misleading thread is started with only one link that does not state that Toyota is discontinuing production. In fact the last paragraph states: "And, there is not evidence that the ancient hybrid can battle its way back into the lead it once held"....which implies the sales "war" will continue.

What was the purpose of this thread? As gas prices drop, hybrids and economy car sales decrease...no big surprise here.

What do you expect I do ? Searching/finding 10-20 sources to confirm certain news are legitimate ?

247wallst.com is a good source of news, that why I posted it.

Toyota dumps this current Prius may not have the meaning you're looking for, it may means Toyota dumps current styling and go back to similar previous styling.

Summary, I started a thread about a car from a legitimate source. If you agree then it is okay, if not I can't do anything about it.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch

I don't deny that like Tesla, if you searching you should find I posted at least 1 post criticized Tesla for their Supercharger station usage in California.

I praised Toyota for their exceptional reliable vehicles of all types in many posts.

I posted my dislike of new Toyota/Lexus front end styling, I posted my dislike of many Toyota interior styling,especially the ones with instrument clusters in the middle of the dash.

I do have my own opinions about things that may not agreed by someone. I hate the new Prius from the first time I saw few pictures of it, I hate it even more when I saw one in person. Since Californian bought more Prius than any other states, I hate it when I have to see it every minute when I am driving. I wish it early death so I don't have to look at it everyday.

Prius owners are funny. Porsche drivers are the jerks.
lol.gif

I dont think anyone seriously believes a Prius is being discontinued...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I don't deny that like Tesla, if you searching you should find I posted at least 1 post criticized Tesla for their Supercharger station usage in California.

I praised Toyota for their exceptional reliable vehicles of all types in many posts.

I posted my dislike of new Toyota/Lexus front end styling, I posted my dislike of many Toyota interior styling,especially the ones with instrument clusters in the middle of the dash.

I do have my own opinions about things that may not agreed by someone. I hate the new Prius from the first time I saw few pictures of it, I hate it even more when I saw one in person. Since Californian bought more Prius than any other states, I hate it when I have to see it every minute when I am driving. I wish it early death so I don't have to look at it everyday.

It's alright HTSS_TR, this guy doesn't even know the difference between "astroturf[ing]" and "shill". Seems to have a firm grasp of "troll", though
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Yes, Toyota probably lost many Prius sales because of the styling. I'm no fan of it either. But still, it delivers very good value for money. With a base price of 24,200 usd one gets a car, which achieves 55 MPG* with low maintenance costs and supposedly has a good resale value.

*Toyota's promise is 54/50 MPG, germans are logging ~4,3 l/100 km / 55 US MPG.
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebersicht...amp;powerunit=2

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
Toyota will be replacing it with the all new hybrid platform, the 2017 Prius Prime:

Toyota Prius Prime

Where is it said that Prime is replacing current Prius? It's very different and more expensive animal.

It's just a plug-in version of the regular Prius. More expensive but gives the option of charging at home and operating on pure battery power. Hardly a sign the Prius is being "dumped".

2016 Honda Civic is another car that shows the seriousness of Prius falling sale.

Civic is a compact car, its customers are mostly price sensitive and they concern more about running cost. So far this year Honda sells more Civic than last year while compact car sell is falling.

Car buyers know the good from the bad. Toyota knows 25-30% dropping is very serious, if everything is better than previous year then why sale drops that much ? The only thing stands out is its ugly styling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back