Toyota D4D engine, CEL turns on after driving 6 miles, no other symptoms. Ideas?

BIL has this 2011 Toyota diesel truck with the 3.0 D4D engine. Only 32,600 miles. I may be interested to buy it in the near future for the right price. Drives very good, no smoke from the tailpipe. Only thing is, the check engine light turns on after 6 miles of driving but with no other symptoms. CEL is never on after starting the engine, whether cold or already warm. Always turns on after 6 miles of driving. Disconnecting the battery cable for a while has no effect. Yep, CEL still turns on after 6 miles. It's not my car, I don't have an OBDII scanner, and he's not keen on getting it scanned yet. Any ideas on what the (hopefully minor) problem might be?

BIL has this 2011 Toyota diesel truck with the 3.0 D4D engine. Only 32,600 miles. I may be interested to buy it in the near future for the right price. Drives very good, no smoke from the tailpipe. Only thing is, the check engine light turns on after 6 miles of driving but with no other symptoms. CEL is never on after starting the engine, whether cold or already warm. Always turns on after 6 miles of driving. Disconnecting the battery cable for a while has no effect. Yep, CEL still turns on after 6 miles. It's not my car, I don't have an OBDII scanner, and he's not keen on getting it scanned yet. Any ideas on what the (hopefully minor) problem might be?
Generally the CEL is a sign of some anti-pollution equipment failure, but there may be more and without scanning it's impossible to say.

Why on earth wouldn't he scan it? That's literally the answer!

Since Toyota didn't sell a diesel truck in the US in 2011, this truck doesn't have to meet American OBD-II standards anyway, so the stuff that could be impacted is anyone's guess.

And "a warm place to live in" is additionally... not helpful.

Did miss thats its not your Toyota Hilux. If i would be you i would not buy that hilux with the 3.0L diesel. One of the worse diesel engine ever produced. Injector fails it can damage pistons. Also they are known to have cracked pistons as a issue. Try to aim on the 2.5 liter diesel. And the Hilux that are actually made in Japan. 2001-2004 is the best model. I own one and it have been bulletproof.

You can get one of those Bluetooth OBDII (ELM327 clone) dongles for less than $10 dollars shipped, no point in trying to guess what the problem is when you can actually find out.

Seriously? Do you go to a doctor and say, "it hurts here, any ideas on what the (hopefully minor) problem might be?" If you don't want to get it scanned, just put some black tape over the CEL.
In this case, you would just say that you hurt, and the doctor would have to guess where. 🙂

It is Toyota diesel. You need 32gb memory to list issues.
On top of my mind based on issues I had and known issues on my 3.0 D-4D potentially:
EGR
CR pump
Back pressure sensor on DPF (if it has DPF).
Injectors
Glow plugs
Glow plug control module.
Sometimes there are issues with turbo.

But, without scan, it is impossible to know.

Scan then diagnose the problem or start changing parts the the issue is resolved.

Glow plugs would not normally be an issue after 6 miles. I have never really studied OBDII In Diesel but my assumption is that it switches to closed loop and that's when the monitor sets off the code.

Diesels don't have a closed loop fuel control... they run inherently lean except at full pedal.

It's common rail, not an old school diesel. Seeing as it runs ok, I'd say an EGR fault...it may have the EGR removed, in which case it will always bring up a code.

Back