Toyota CVT FE equivalent for 2014 Corolla

My friend bought a 2014 Corolla with 150K miles to replace his totaled TSX. The Corolla specs FE fluid which is pricey I'm sure.
And nothing special, I imagine. Gonna use Castrol or Valvoline.
Dunno the service history, if any.

Your thoughts? Extra points for real world Corolla experience. Thanks in advance.

My friend bought a 2014 Corolla with 150K miles to replace his totaled TSX. The Corolla specs FE fluid which is pricey I'm sure.
And nothing special, I imagine. Gonna use Castrol or Valvoline.
Dunno the service history, if any.

Your thoughts? Extra points for real world Corolla experience. Thanks in advance.
Hi, Jeff ...

Don't be so quick to dismiss the FE. If the spec calls for it, it's probably wise to use it. Remember, the Toyota CVT trans is not really a typical CVT transmission. I've worked with my sister and her Corolla.

Last edited:
Your trans requires toyota cvt FE spec'd fluid which castrol transmax cvt/atf states in their pds but valvoline cvt would seem like the better choice although it's more expensive.

That's correct. The gas uses a belt drive cvt like everyone else. The hybrid uses a planetary gear set based trans to combine the electric and gas motors.
This is an older E170 CVTi-S box, a conventional CVT if you will

The newer 2018+ E210 have the "Direct Shift CVT with launch gear"

Hybrid CVTs are an old school gear reduction box

Toyota brands the K120 as the “Direct Shift” CVT and includes a physical first gear (also known as a "launch gear") and nine additional simulated gears, for a total of 10. The launch gear is engaged when the car takes off from being stopped and transitions to the belt drive once the car picks up speed. The benefit of this system is that traditional CVTs tend to have low efficiency in lower gear ratios (creating a moment of sluggishness when starting from a stop).[2] Since the belts in this CVT are handling a more narrow band of gear ratios, belt angles and loads can be reduced, increasing shift speeds and offering a claimed 6% improvement in fuel efficiency.

Key word is friend. Do you want to be liable for an issue when the incorrect fluid is used and there is a failure? So, visit the dealer and order some.

I bought the 5 qt Lubegard jug (Amazon $60) and 6 qts of Aisin FE (Rockauto, $8.37 ea) CVT fluid. Each were $70 all in. I believe Aisin makes the transmission; not sure. I will do 2 services with the Aisin and see how the fluid looks.
If I don't use the Lubegard I have other vehicles, like my friend's high mileage '15 Altima, that can use it. All good.

I trust quality products; I cannot believe the Lubegard or Aisin fluid are bad for the transmission. I have never heard of a name brand ATF hurt a Honda or Toyota transmission. It would be all over these forums. Just my 2 cents.

Hi, Jeff ...

Don't be so quick to dismiss the FE. If the spec calls for it, it's probably wise to use it. Remember, the Toyota CVT trans is not really a typical CVT transmission. I've worked with my sister and her Corolla.

Apples to oranges.

The Hybrid Power Split device uses Toyota WS.

But the 2014 generation, there was no hybrid. so, it used the typical belt driven CVT. The hybrid was introduced in the 2020 generation, and the belt CVT also had a physical 1st gear for "takeoff"

Back