Toyota coolant info request

Hey folks. I about to change the thermostat on my 2001 Toyota Sequoia so figured I’d do a coolant drain and fill while I’m at it. I looked thru my records and can’t find if I used OEM or aftermarket coolant the last time. The dealer says the new pink stuff replaced the red and that I’d need two gallons for a radiator drain and fill. Well, that’s about $65 bucks for OEM. If I need it, I’ll get it but I wondered if any of the OTC brands are good quality? Valvoline maybe? Thank you.

There are few choices depending on availability in your area.
All of them have "Japanese" or "Asian" in their bottle: Peak, Valvoline, Zerex, to name a few.
They are usually pink although there is version in other color for other Japanese vehicle.

Is it a concern to mix the old coolant with the new? My maintenance notes said I used a 50/50 mix and it appears to be the pink stuff. I assume using Zerex 50/50 mix would be acceptable? Thanks for the quick help.

Yep, it will be fine mixed. I would recommend a drain and fill at least once every 50k miles going forward, since you can't get all the old stuff out. (I hate taking dashboards apart to replace heater cores.)

I just bought and used the Peak OET (original equipment technology) pink Asian coolant, working great so far after 6,000 miles. Originally had factory fill in it. But Zerex has been around for a while and ive never heard of any issues with that stuff as well.

Yep, it will be fine mixed. I would recommend a drain and fill at least once every 50k miles going forward, since you can't get all the old stuff out. (I hate taking dashboards apart to replace heater cores.)
Yeah, I looked that up and holy cow that’s not a DIY project. Or at least not for me. Thanks for the assistance.

Zerex Asian, Peak OET red/pink, Pentofrost A1 or A4, Recochem OEM red or pink

The Lisle coolant funnel is awesome. Get one if you don't already have it.

There are few choices depending on availability in your area.
All of them have "Japanese" or "Asian" in their bottle: Peak, Valvoline, Zerex, to name a few.
They are usually pink although there is version in other color for other Japanese vehicle.
The pink Toyota, blue Honda/Subaru/Nissan, and Green Hyundai/Kia are all the exact same formulation, Phosphated HOAT coolant. I put blue in my Hyundai Accent when I did the water pump cause I was bored with the green.

Last edited:
Zerex Asian Red, Peak OET, or *gasp* Prestone Cor-Guard would be my picks. Cor-Guard is a pHOAT.

Yes, I said Prestone. Yes, there’s still 2-EHA and sodium neodeconate, a carboxylic acid related to sebacic acid which used in Toyota Pink. But, seeing how aggressive Toyota OE coolant is to their factory RTV sealant, I’m convinced Prestone will be just fine.

Back