Toyota Composite Oil Filter Cap STUCK - Any guidance?

There is a DIY way to convert the 2ZR/1ZR Corolla/Prius engines to take a Toyota Fx/N1 or 4967/4386/51394 filter using OE Toyota parts - the filter housing is swapped out. No need for expensive aftermarket adapters.
If I had one of those vehicles, that conversion would be the first thing I would do to it..... With the exception of using a Fram 4967 filter.

There is a DIY way to convert the 2ZR/1ZR Corolla/Prius engines to take a Toyota Fx/N1 or 4967/4386/51394 filter using OE Toyota parts - the filter housing is swapped out. No need for expensive aftermarket adapters.
Awesome! Is there a method for the vertical filters like Camry and Tundra?

Yes, but due to clearance only Tacoma, 4Runner, or Tundra (different part #, but you get the idea) models can use it.

EDIT: It does specify Camry, but I recall my 2015 was pretty close to the ground as it is, can't imagine the adapter and a filter!

If I had one of those vehicles, that conversion would be the first thing I would do to it..... With the exception of using a Fram 4967 filter.
If you install the housing properly, it is fine. Our GS has the cast aluminum housing, now my friend's Corolla does as well.
Now if I can just get my hands on my grand niece's strippie Corolla...

But it is a drag when you run into a super stuck one like this one.

I'm sure you could purchase the Toyota conversion, and from there go with most any remote mount kit that would bolt up to it. They include Stainless Steel braided lines, fittings, a remote oil filter mount, along with mounting brackets.

If you wanted you could probably go with one that allows the use of a full sized oil filter. Like a Motorcraft FL1-A, or a Fram PH8-A.

2018 Corolla 1.8 takes a spin-on can, or at least mine does. I see both types listed when I look up the filter online.

For that model year, it looks like the block adapter is exactly the same except for a union that the can screws onto (#15600A). When I think about my 2010 Vibe with the "element type," it's hard to imagine how that would work. The same diagram comes up for a 2010 Matrix, though.

a1_152696B.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
More like Sunglasses,it's that obvious. The fact is these type of disasters are far more prevalent with these molded, plastic housings. Not to mention far messier. Not only that, but many are destroyed upon removal, (much like the photo in this thread shows).

It doesn't matter what happens to a steel canister in order to get it off, because it's going in the can regardless. No matter how you look at these things, they're far more problem prone. Especially when you've got some kid doing it for a few bucks above minimum wage, with the mechanical aptitude of a bullfrog.
Sorry, but that kid will still mess up elsewhere. Steel caps or whatever, o ring is still present in catriges. Even if it is canister type, they can overtighten etc. Not to mention drain plug tightening.

The problem is not material. The problem is the education of workers. I am sorry, but minimum wage or not, the worker has to be properly educated about what it is doing. Manufacturers won't design dumb-proof vehicles bcs. someone might take it to Jiffy Lube. They are designing vehicles with. numerous variables in mind. The guy in Jiffy lube is really not the priority there.

The problem is not material. The problem is the education of workers. I am sorry, but minimum wage or not, the worker has to be properly educated about what it is doing.
That will never happen. The turnover rate is too high, because the pay is too low. And sadly it's a vicious cycle that will never be broken, because people want cheap, fast oil changes.

That translates to uneducated workers who screw up on a regular basis. Until they either quit or get fired.... Then the cycle repeats.

That will never happen. The turnover rate is too high, because the pay is too low. And sadly it's a vicious cycle that will never be broken, because people want cheap, fast oil changes.

That translates to uneducated workers who screw up on a regular basis. Until they either quit or get fired.... Then the cycle repeats.
I think you also get passive aggressive workers who either "quietly quit" or deliberately sabotage vehicles. There's basically zero chance of personal liability for them but the business is on the hook.

My local Jiffy Lube has paid for shops to replace oil pans if the drain plug threads are damaged beyond repair (if they're caught) and replace engines that were never filled.

That doesn’t have anything to do with material.
If Toyota puts everything you wanted, you would complain about price.
I had issues unscrewing drain bolt on FIL Honda bcs. they tightened it too much at the dealership. Screw up is always option, regardless of wage or establishment.

Back