Toyota bigger than top 3, CR car maker rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Finally, since CR doesn't verify vehicle ownership I pay little attention to them. Stats are only relative if carefully examined, and they fail immediately here with my first point of interest.

It is important to note that stats do not apply to individual cars, only to groups of cars, assuming the basic premise of ownership is even verified...

I don't take CR too seriously either... but I do take seriously the fact that so many other people take CR seriously.
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Not that is matters...
CR's top 10 cars

Wow. That's a lot of Subarus. Based on what I just said above, I predict Subaru is going to have a very good 2015.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Except for a half dozen recalls, my 06 Avalon has been a good car.

That's what gets me. They all have black eyes lately, but no matter how you cut the numbers, Toyota came out on top in 2014. Maybe because the whole unintended acceleration floor mat thing is more years behind them than GM's ongoing ignition switch and Honda's airbag and reporting problems.
Originally Posted By: double vanos
To get to the top, all an automaker has to do is: produce reliable cars ( or trucks ) that are so desireable the customer will pay full price for them.

I don't know if I agree with that. Maybe "To stay at the top..." I would except that. To get to the top, they only need to make desirable vehicles. Reliability only figures into the staying part. Thus,
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Originally Posted By: double vanos
To get to the top, all an automaker has to do is: produce reliable cars ( or trucks ) that are so desireable the customer will pay full price for them.

That is an unfortunate truth about the big 3.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Icecube said:
Toyota was actually a pretty good manufacturer. For every argument one could make for a Land Rover Series III or a Jeep CJ5 there is a valid counterargument that makes the case for a Land Cruiser FJ40

In Australia (where rugged off road ability is arguably more important than most of the developed world), Land Rover had 95% of the 4x4 market in the '60s. Now the Toyota Land Cruiser is king, with Nissan and Mitsubishi claiming a respectable share of the market. Where are Land Rover?, well they sell some Range Rovers to the well heeled who want prestige over ability to keep going. Land Rovers still set the benchmark for off-road ability, but that's of small comfort broken down in the Gibson desert.....

Claud.

To say that "Toyota is plagued by recalls" is simply a symptom of having ones head stuck in the sand completely unaware of the world around them.

As I mentioned wayy back when the recalls started coming in droves...unintended acceleration for Toyota was the first, it is the new era for recalls for all auto makers. There has been a general tightening of the rules regarding reporting. Every car manufacturer has been involved with a recall, most of them with multiple recalls.

All chest thumping patriotism aside, the numbers tell the story.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Tesla best overall? That kind of makes me laugh when it is a $89K vehicle. For that kind of money it better be a great car! Still cant take a road trip to Vegas in it though.

Sure you can! Figure out a way to put a trailer hitch on it, then put a generator on a trailer!

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Tesla best overall? That kind of makes me laugh when it is a $89K vehicle. For that kind of money it better be a great car! Still cant take a road trip to Vegas in it though.

If you do to Vegas from California you can recharge battery at Barstow which is about half way between LA and Vegas.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Toyota has been using the same engines in their cars for a lot of years. They find engines that are reliable and get good mileage and use them a long time.

My 2003 Corolla has been recalled about 5 times. I'm awaiting parts to repair my airbags. They recommend that no one sits in the passenger seat.

Toyota tries to make the best cars/trucks. Maybe not the best in any one category but overall, the best.

I was surprised to find out that Toyota is so much bigger than Honda.

My Saturn starting to fall about at 125k miles. No more GM cars for me.

Toyota seems to treat their sub contractors as partners
in 60s and 70s GM had a practice of if a sub contractor "fixed" a GM problem, they still awarded the production to an in house GM division, rochester carb, harrison radiator, fisher body.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: Nebroch

It's more than that. Toyota is managed for to stay relevant and thrive in the long term, they don't just try to maximize next year's profit or market share.

This comes down to how different the economies work. American investors are "all" about returns, and don't give a [censored] about the industry...burn it to the ground if it raises 50 cents a share! Asian investors are in it for the "company" and the health of the company, for a modest long term profit. The Japanese business culture is very racist as well.

yes

American businesses are doomed by selfish investors.

yes they want it all, and this year

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1

Toyota seems to treat their sub contractors as partners
in 60s and 70s GM had a practice of if a sub contractor "fixed" a GM problem, they still awarded the production to an in house GM division, rochester carb, harrison radiator, fisher body.

Can you elaborate on this? I know that many of GM's suppliers were basically GM owned, like Guide Corp, Delphi, and GM basically screwed them. Spun them off and made them compete with new competition suppliers that wanted GM business... Since these companies relied heavily on GM, GM crushed them with price reductions, and being out bidded by the competition, they gone broke.
Quote:
In 1996, GM sold Oshawa and three other factories to a private equity firm called Joseph Littlejohn & Levy of New York. The newly formed supplier was dubbed Peregrine Inc.

In 1997, Peregrine generated revenues of $1.2 billion, and the company predicted that it would triple sales within a few years. Instead, Peregrine failed quickly. Sources say Peregrine was forced to sell to GM components that were priced so cheaply that it could not make money.

GM disputes those claims.

Another failed venture was Guide Corp., a spun-off supplier created by investment bankers. Guide was formed when Delphi, then a GM division, sold its lighting operations to Palladium Equity Partners of New York.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back