Toyota bigger than top 3, CR car maker rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota handles expansion differently than the other vehicle manufacturers. When they expand or upgrade and existing plant or build a new plant it's with cash which greatly reduces the planning and overhead. Saving on the interest and long drawn out approval processes amounts to more money and time to built the next plant. And they pay vendors often times ahead of the terms on a contract. It means that these vendors respond well to the next project and the next. On many construction contracts they pay a bonus for performance and quality unlike Ford and GM that chisel away at every possible opportunity and make an industry of delaying or deferring payments. Ford calls it cash flow management and GM calls it efficient cost accounting. Vendors for Ford and GM have other more down to earth names used to describe the process as it effects them.

Toyota has been using the same engines in their cars for a lot of years. They find engines that are reliable and get good mileage and use them a long time.

My 2003 Corolla has been recalled about 5 times. I'm awaiting parts to repair my airbags. They recommend that no one sits in the passenger seat.

Toyota tries to make the best cars/trucks. Maybe not the best in any one category but overall, the best.

I was surprised to find out that Toyota is so much bigger than Honda.

My Saturn starting to fall about at 125k miles. No more GM cars for me.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
One thing about Toyota is that they make a lot of things that GM, Ford, and Chrysler do not.

A forklift that says "Chrysler" or "Fiat" on it is a scary thought.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
it's rather simple. toyota decided long time ago to produce fuel efficient cars while the BIG 3 were busy making monster trucks and SUV or polishing the chrome finish.

It's more than that. Toyota is managed for to stay relevant and thrive in the long term, they don't just try to maximize next year's profit or market share. Hybrids and hydrogen tech are one sign of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrU9xI8d8DI
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Toyota handles expansion differently than the other vehicle manufacturers. When they expand or upgrade and existing plant or build a new plant it's with cash which greatly reduces the planning and overhead. Saving on the interest and long drawn out approval processes amounts to more money and time to built the next plant.

Wait, I thought smart people (and businesses) financed stuff and didnt turn away from "free" money...

Originally Posted By: Nebroch

It's more than that. Toyota is managed for to stay relevant and thrive in the long term, they don't just try to maximize next year's profit or market share.

This comes down to how different the economies work. American investors are "all" about returns, and don't give a [censored] about the industry...burn it to the ground if it raises 50 cents a share! Asian investors are in it for the "company" and the health of the company, for a modest long term profit. The Japanese business culture is very racist as well.

American businesses are doomed by selfish investors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: morepwr
Tesla best overall? That kind of makes me laugh when it is a $89K vehicle. For that kind of money it better be a great car! Still cant take a road trip to Vegas in it though.

Heck,can't even take that thing from Houston to Dallas!

I am neutral..... Japanese or American.... The issue really for American Car Co. is perception. Remember when "Made in Japan" meant [censored]? It was in the 60's and 70's. Then GM = quality. But the Japanese turn this around slowly to the point they are now riding the wave of this reputation. So lower profits in the late 70's and 80's until they got it right and now they are racking in the profit even when their quality falls a little. American Co built good cars but they have not been able yet to change the perceptions of the consumer, because it has been too few great models, for no long enough. If shareholders are patient and think with their brain, they would do exactly what the Japanese did and invest for the long run, and demand quality out of the America Car co. I can't wait until this happens. The Germans have the same issues but I believe them to be in fact worse in quality than GM and Ford, for now. They are riding the "drives like a champ" reputation but even this is now changing in the case of BMW....

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: Nebroch

It's more than that. Toyota is managed for to stay relevant and thrive in the long term, they don't just try to maximize next year's profit or market share.

This comes down to how different the economies work. American investors are "all" about returns, and don't give a [censored] about the industry...burn it to the ground if it raises 50 cents a share! Asian investors are in it for the "company" and the health of the company, for a modest long term profit. The Japanese business culture is very racist as well.

American businesses are doomed by selfish investors.
Overpaid management.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I was surprised to find out that Toyota is so much bigger than Honda.

Honda started out as part vendor for Toyota in the 50's, they started with manufacture piton ring for Toyota.

Their first product that sell to consumer was motorized bike then motorcycle then tiny cars (N360, N600 and S600) with motorcycle engines from 360cc to 600cc.

Until early 70's Honda was number 7 or 8 of Japan car companies in term of volume, behind Toyota, Nisan, Mazda, Isuzu, Daihatsu, Suzuki ... I think they are either number 2 or 3 in Japanese now.

Why is this even a thread? Toyota is one of the largest companies in the world, no [censored] they have more income than any other car company.

Originally Posted By: Icecube
Remember when "Made in Japan" meant [censored]? It was in the 60's and 70's.

i'm too young for that, but i remember the korean car = major POS in 90's. now, they lead in some areas and are mainstream in other.

now, made in china is POS, but it will change too. GM is still catching up, except for the volt.

Originally Posted By: Icecube
I am neutral..... Japanese or American.... The issue really for American Car Co. is perception. Remember when "Made in Japan" meant [censored]? It was in the 60's and 70's. Then GM = quality. But the Japanese turn this around slowly to the point they are now riding the wave of this reputation...

Toyota was actually a pretty good manufacturer. For every argument one could make for a Land Rover Series III or a Jeep CJ5 there is a valid counterargument that makes the case for a Land Cruiser FJ40

The original Corolla had no timing belt (OHV) and its slant 4 design made it easy to maintain. (they were such cheap cars that they were seldom actually maintained) Really basic car. Live solid axle. Leaf springs rear. 4 wheel drum brakes They weren't safe in in accident....especially vs American cars in '68. Neither was the Volkswagen Type 1 or Fiat 128. It wasn't a bad car.

The Japanese have a history of great metalworking skills, I'm not certain they were working with the best qualities of steel in the '70s. That's okay. Neither were the American small cars.

Gas prices went throught the roof in '73. That cheap Corolla that a family bought didn't fall apart as fast as the neighbors' Vegas and Pintos. So maybe they buy a Celica or Corona next

Originally Posted By: HangFire
How the mighty have fallen. I keep hearing GM is bigger than Ford again, it hardly matters when Toyota is bigger than all 3 combined.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/busines...ysler/23852189/

US 2014 earnings before interest and taxes
$6.5 billion for GM,
$6.3 billion for Ford,
$3.9 billion for Fiat Chrysler

Toyota:
$24.5 billion for the fiscal year ending March 31.

This is interesting but then so is the fact that BMW, who is much smaller than all above still managed to earn ~8 billion euros ranked in the same way; roughly 9.1 billion dollars. Mercedes was 8.28 billion euros; 9.4 billion dollars. The VAG group was 11.7 billion Euros in 2013, or 13.3 billion dollars.

Profit doesn't tell the whole story. I know Ford is still paying down all their loans for example.

What I found interesting was another statement from the first part of that article: Toyota makes 4x the profit per vehicle than GM does. That's simply incredible.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What I found interesting was another statement from the first part of that article: Toyota makes 4x the profit per vehicle than GM does. That's simply incredible.

Part of the larger profit per vehicle is Toyota didn't have to spend a lot of money in term of incentives to dealers and buyers to sell their vehicles, the main reason is consumers think that Toyota vehicles are 1 of the most reliable if not the most reliable. The other reason is legacy cost per vehicle is much less for Toyota compares with GM, Ford ...

Keep in mind that the these are numbers equating to profit before interest, taxes, and business expenses, so they are legit no matter the level of debt or extenuating circumstances. Values (below) correlate directly to the automotive products consumers are buying.

Quote:

US 2014 earnings before interest and taxes
$6.5 billion for GM,
$6.3 billion for Ford,
$3.9 billion for Fiat Chrysler

Toyota: $24.5 billion for the fiscal year ending March 31.

Toyota runs a tight ship. Bravo to their management.

Pity to hear the standard class warfare lines in this thread about payroll and shareholders, too many folks are so worried about what someone else is making. A bit more focus on themselves would likely help them to become higher earners.

Finally, since CR doesn't verify vehicle ownership I pay little attention to them. Stats are only relative if carefully examined, and they fail immediately here with my first point of interest.

It is important to note that stats do not apply to individual cars, only to groups of cars, assuming the basic premise of ownership is even verified...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back