Toyota 90915-YZZG1 Made in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
As flow is an insignificant consideration in pc filter use, I don't have that concern in my filter selection. Been many threads/posts confirming that fact so need to beat the horse.

Pleats look uniformity looks acceptable to me. Certainly in line with the well respected Mahle in the link. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2935612

As for age of filter, perhaps with the date code it could be confirmed but I won't speculate.

No doubt in my mind it's Purolator made, and it got the job done for the OP for his 5k oci. Really all that matters here.

But as with any choice, don't like it don't use it.

PmYmwdw.jpg

IYF4ssR.jpg

KvxvMqv.jpg

xxLibU6.jpg

yFzijbE.jpg

Last edited:
Date code = Aug 25, 2014. So really new stuff.

So wondering of all the dealership sold filters will be USA Purolator made now.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

No, Denso makes the majority of filters for Toyota. I have a YZZD1 installed right now that's the exact same size as this filter.

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063

No, Denso makes the majority of filters for Toyota. I have a YZZD1 installed right now that's the exact same size as this filter.

So which Toyota filters are USA/Purolator made ... only a select few?

Yowsah, now those are some definitive pics of a Puro made Toyota oem. So much for the discontinued, NOS from a decade ago conjecture.

Looks like a P-type sealing gasket too. That would be a Toyota spec.

Thanks for the follow up pics.

Now this filter is one I KNOW a bunch about.

I had used this filter or its predecessor (08922-02011) since 1994 when Toyota switched to the Denso non-end cap designed YZZD1s and D3s. The local dealers except one who is 45 minutes from me switched away from this G1s to the D1s and D3s. For a couple of years, I bought the G1s from the dealer who was out of my way when I was over there - but that became a pain.

After recognizing the design as a Purolator, I called them about three years ago and asked them specifically about switching from the YZZG1 to the PureOne and specifically asked about filtration efficiency. I ultimately ended up talking to one of the actual engineering folks in North Carolina about it and he left me with the impression that they had access to the filtration specs for the G1 as when I inquired he went off and looked some stuff up and came back to the phone and said the filtration oh the PureOne would exceed that of the G1 and I should feel comfortable using it. And I did so for about two years until the tearing of the PureOnes started to become an issue. The oil color stayed clearer with the PureOnes, but I never had a problem with the YZZG1 or its predecessor.

Because of the tears, I've moved to Wix 51348s from Oreilly's and have been happy so far.

Hopefully, this helps.

Originally Posted By: burch2217

I had used this filter or its predecessor (08922-02011) since 1994 when Toyota switched to the Denso non-end cap designed YZZD1s and D3s. The local dealers except one who is 45 minutes from me switched away from this G1s to the D1s and D3s. For a couple of years, I bought the G1s from the dealer who was out of my way when I was over there - but that became a pain.

After recognizing the design as a Purolator, I called them about three years ago and asked them specifically about switching from the YZZG1 to the PureOne and specifically asked about filtration efficiency. I ultimately ended up talking to one of the actual engineering folks in North Carolina about it and he left me with the impression that they had access to the filtration specs for the G1 as when I inquired he went off and looked some stuff up and came back to the phone and said the filtration oh the PureOne would exceed that of the G1 and I should feel comfortable using it. And I did so for about two years until the tearing of the PureOnes started to become an issue. The oil color stayed clearer with the PureOnes, but I never had a problem with the YZZG1 or its predecessor.

Because of the tears, I've moved to Wix 51348s from Oreilly's and have been happy so far.

Hopefully, this helps.

I used to run the 51348 on my Tacoma and noticed a startup knock. Switched to OEM filter and it went away. I'm currently running the D1

As with most OEM's their efficiency is generally kept proprietary. Again thanks to Amsoil we know the Denso made oem to be that stated previously in this thread. Purolator or any manufacturer for oem isn't going to just release that specific info.

The P1 being rated 99.9%@20um in this application would be difficult to top (tears excluded) by most any, let alone an oem. Is this Puro made as low as the Denso oem no end cap type? Even with a different construction, without testing no way of knowing for sure.

What is known thanks to this thread now, the topic'd G1 is made by Purolator, has been around for a little while and continues to be made as shown. And at least based the posters commenting from personal use including the OP, have exhibited no issues.

Might be able to add a bit more :

Also seem to recall from the conversation that the engineer I spoke to said that the media associated with the G1 was "different" than that of the Classic and PureOne. Seems if I remember correctly, he said the G1 efficiency was better than Classic but not PureOne class. Based upon that, I suspect that the media is spec'd by Toyota and may be closer to that of previous Purolator designs. Which would be a good thing - wouldn't it?

As for knock with the Wix 51348, my engine is the 2.4L 4 cylinder 2AZ-FE, so that my filter is mounted on the bottom of the engine with the threading pointed up where OP's (Tmiller3063's) 3.4L 6 cylinder 5VZ-FE is mounted on the top of the engine, filter pointed down. I have also used a few FRAM TG3614s without noticing knock. Would be interested in knowing if other filters have knocked with the OPs six cylinder?

I agree with Sayjac's statements. My summary would add that if my local dealers had this filter available to me any time that I walked in, I'd be using it...... And if the PureOnes hadn't exhibited tearing issues, I would be using their PL10241 and not asing any questions. Maybe both Toyota and Purolator could learn from this - but I am only one little uniformed consumer from their perspective!

Originally Posted By: burch2217

Hopefully, this helps.

I used to run the 51348 on my Tacoma and noticed a startup knock. Switched to OEM filter and it went away. I'm currently running the D1

That is why I said my priority is flow over restriction. That is manufacturer's priority too. If the filter is really a recently made one I take it as a desire to cheapen more. Unless Denso can not supply enough filters...

^^^ The only time any flow reduction from a slightly more restrictive oil filter is noticed is when the oil pump in is pressure relief - which is very rarely. Otherwise, everything the pump puts out goes through the filter and engine.

So this whole "flow over restriction" thing is pretty much a moot point.

So for comparisons sake, which would you choose?

YZZD1 Denso Made in Thailand
Yz8PN9T.jpg

YZZG1 Purolator Made in USA
GqRw89c.jpg

Either one. What sort of informed decision could you make?

Both are Toyota-labeled filters that meet the minimum specification as stated by the manufacturer, whatever that may be.

I would guess that you could probably figure out where I would be parked at - I visited a dealership that was 45 miles from my place and bought them six at a time for newly two years. My vote is G1 and here is why....

Either filter meets the manufacturers specification. Your six cylinder doesn't have any start-up issues with either one. I have used the G1 or its equivalent for nearly twenty years and about 300,000 miles on two Toyota Trucks. Purolator told me the filter media is not what they use in their current Classic or P1 so tearing concerns are minimized and if it tears its Toyota's issue. They also told me that the filter efficiency is better than Classic but not P1 levels which implies it is much better than the Densos D1/D3 family's 50%.

Again, if I could walk into my local dealership and purchase a G1, I would be doing that even instead of buying any of the following: the D1/D3, PureOne, WIX, or ToughGuard. And when you pick yours up, can you pick up six for me? How's that for a recommendation!

So for comparisons sake, which would you choose?

YZZD1 Denso Made in Thailand
Yz8PN9T.jpg

YZZG1 Purolator Made in USA
GqRw89c.jpg

Isn't it obvious? No.1 of course.
If you do not have time to go to dealer, Denso First Time Fit is a better filter than both of these. Can be had for 3 bucks each.

Last edited:
The Made in Thia land Toyota filters don't have very good efficiency. That Purolator made Toyota filter probably has much better filtering efficiency, and also a silicon ABDV which is a plus.

There's no way to tell short of measuring it, right?

The Made in Thia land Toyota filters don't have very good efficiency. That Purolator made Toyota filter probably has much better filtering efficiency, and also a silicon ABDV which is a plus.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
There's no way to tell short of measuring it, right?

Correct ... it would have to be tested with special equipment per ISO test procedures.

Or you could do a "river_rat talcum powder test" and compare the USA made vs the Thailand made filter to see if there was a noticeable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back