Toyota 5.7 Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone up on these ?
Any help getting around the "Factory Lockdown" on the cartridge replacement #@$%!?
There has to be a screw on filter that will fit and function reliably etc.....

SS/LS

Too new of a vehicle to see if anyone has dumped the factory cartridge mount for remotely mounted filters or standard filter cans.

There is nothing wrong with OEM cartridges. If you truly want better filtration, toss in a remote bypass like from Frantz, Oilguard, Amsoil, or Motorguard.....

If this engine is as good as the 4.7L, then its probably immune to oil or filter chosen!

Its not the filter its self,prolly fine Im sure ?
Problem is the mess and hassle of cartridge R/R.
The motor is most likey the most bullet-proof one in production,looking forward to many miles of hassle free ownership.Cant say that for that 06 POS Silverado I traded for it
laugh.gif

Surely WIX can match the thread and filter volume pretty easy ?Im clueless as to how you go about thread measurement(s)
and then cross referencing to match something in the WIX inventory
confused.gif

SS/LS

If the new V8 is as good as the old one, it's going to be a pretty good engine. The 4.7 is as close to unbreakable and can be. We use one to drive a ball mill at a mine site. It's been there several years and just keeps running, no matter how hard we run it. It gets loaded like a truck engine never would.

How many miles have you got on the truck? If you just have a 2-3 thousand miles, then don't bother changing the filter and reuse it. These filters can go a lot longer than they are typically used.

Yeah and I aint liken none of it !!
Its a Factory/Dealer move to force consumers into the dealer shop for revenue.But hopefully companies like WIX will step up to the call and steal the show for the less trusting wrenchs of the world
smile.gif

SS/LS

Quote:

You will be seeing more and more cartridge filters on new vehicles to come.

The aftermarket will step in. It'll just take a while. It took a year for aftermarket filters to show up for the Mazda 2.3 MZR. And, it took 2-3 years before all brands were represented.

I also don't see how Toyota can be 300k filters back ordered. Have they sold that many 5.7's needing oil changes already? Or do the 1500 NA dealers want to stock 200 filters each in their parts department?
smirk.gif

Its because automakers are trying to be enviro conscience!

Cartridge filters drain more oil which can be recycled. Cartridge media is recycled easier. And, there is reduced steel waste when compared to a can filter.

How many do-it-yourselfers have oil filter crushers to squeeze out old oil? how many just throw the filter in the trash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back