Engine Oil Filter for Chevy 5.7 Vortec

Hello all,
I'm a newbie and I have a question for the brain trust here. I recently purchased this '78 Nova which has a 5.7 Vortec crate motor in it of unknown vintage. I'm planning on doing an engine oil change and was wondering if all these engines used the same oil filter, or do I need to get under the car and get the number off the existing one. Looking to go with a Wix, Purolater, AC Delco, or some other quality brand. (edit - Mod) Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20230705_172010.jpg
    IMG_20230705_172010.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably a PH30 (I'm more familiar with Fram numbers) but a PH5 would fit if you have the ground clearance.

The PH30 is a short, fat filter with a gasket that goes close to the OD of the filter. The PH5 is the same diameter, but almost double the height, iirc.

It'd be best to know the year of the engine.

Hello all,
I'm a newbie and I have a question for the brain trust here. I recently purchased this '78 Nova which has a 5.7 Vortec crate motor in it of unknown vintage. I'm planning on doing an engine oil change and was wondering if all these engines used the same oil filter, or do I need to get under the car and get the number off the existing one. Looking to go with a Wix, Purolater, AC Delco, or some other quality brand. Thanks!
Sounds like you need 2 look under there and see what Oil Filter is on there and then come back with the brand and numbers. I see you are a newbie! We do not make fun of certain oil filters anymore. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
There's only 2 possible thread sizes, I'd lean towards it being more likely Imperial 13/16, any 13/16-16 filter will work so long as you have enough ground clearance, but It couldn't hurt to check to make sure it doesn't use the metric filter that was used on some later small blocks.

Cant go wrong with fram on a 350

First off, my apologies to the mods and anyone else here I offended! I will edit my post accordingly. Additionaly thanks to everyone who responded thus far.

First off, my apologies to the mods and anyone else here I offended! I will edit my post accordingly. Additionaly thanks to everyone who responded thus far.
It's probably a PH30 (I'm more familiar with Fram numbers) but a PH5 would fit if you have the ground clearance.

The PH30 is a short, fat filter with a gasket that goes close to the OD of the filter. The PH5 is the same diameter, but almost double the height, iirc.

It'd be best to know the year of the engine.
racer12306, ty!

Sounds like you need 2 look under there and see what Oil Filter is on there and then come back with the brand and numbers. I see you are a newbie! We do not make fun of certain oil filters anymore. LOL
Brian123, Ty!

There's only 2 possible thread sizes, I'd lean towards it being more likely Imperial 13/16, any 13/16-16 filter will work so long as you have enough ground clearance, but It couldn't hurt to check to make sure it doesn't use the metric filter that was used on some later small blocks.
blufeb95, Ty!

Cant go wrong with fram on a 350

Yourhomiematt, Ty!

I wouldn't worry so much about Fram anymore, the Extra Guards are made fairly well but I'd probably go with at least the Tough Guard or even the Ultra, PH30 is the correct number which also correlates to the TG30 & XG30 filters. You could also use Purolator or even the AC Delco.

Fram's website shows a 78 Nova w/ 350 has 13/16-16 threads so I'd go with that.

I wouldn't worry so much about Fram anymore, the Extra Guards are made fairlinind mindy well but I'd probably go with at least the Tough Guard or even the Ultra, PH30 is the correct number which also correlates to the TG30 & XG30 filters. You could also use Purolator or even the AC Delco.

Fram's website shows a 78 Nova w/ 350 has 13/16-16 threads so I'd go with that.
Merek, I'll keep that in mind Re: Fram, ty!

Back