Toyota 2GR-FKS spark plug replacement

Anyone changed the plugs on this particular engine? I’ve got a 2017 Highlander with it and evidently Toyota calls for them to be replaced at 60,000 miles. I’m assuming due to stop/start system (which I very much dislike).

I’ve looked at a tutorial video online and it sure seems like three of the plugs are absolutely buried. I’m halfway considering letting Toyota do it. Anyone else know what service departments charge for this job? Napa Autocare repair estimator shows $140-$740 for labor 🤔. No auto store near me stocks the correct plugs (Denso FK20HBR8 or 3491), but they’re $12-$20/each depending on where you look online.

Anywho, anyone tackled this job themselves? I know it’s not rocket science, but I’ve not got much free time this month; however, if it’s going to cost hundreds I’ll have to make time.

Last edited:
It is super easy on the 2GR-FKS motors. They changed the placement of the intake plenum hangers - there is now one bracket on the right side (closer to the master). It is now a lunch hour job, at most.

Just beware of this plastic fitting that is connected to the rear:

1628438044525.jpeg

Anyone changed the plugs on this particular engine? I’ve got a 2017 Highlander with it and evidently Toyota calls for them to be replaced at 60,000 miles. I’m assuming due to stop/start system (which I very much dislike).

I’ve looked at a tutorial video online and it sure seems like three of the plugs are absolutely buried. I’m halfway considering letting Toyota do it. Anyone else know what service departments charge for this job? Napa Autocare repair estimator shows $140-$740 for labor 🤔. No auto store near me stocks the correct plugs (Denso FK20HBR8 or 3491), but they’re $12-$20/each depending on where you look online.

Anywho, anyone tackled this job themselves? I know it’s not rocket science, but I’ve not got much free time this month; however, if it’s going to cost hundreds I’ll have to make time.
I bet there are YouTube videos how to do it.
Labor costs are compliments of V6 transverse position in vehicles like that.

It is super easy on the 2GR-FKS motors. They changed the placement of the intake plenum hangers - there is now one bracket on the right side (closer to the master). It is now a lunch hour job, at most.

Just beware of this plastic fitting that is connected to the rear:

View attachment 66316
Thank you! I will take another look at it. The video I saw online was this. While that is the same engine the setup is slightly different for 2017, but it just seemed a bit arduous to access the back three plugs. On another note where do you reference torque specs for the plugs? Also in the manual it says the Denso FK20HBR8 is the correct plug and has a gap of 0.031. At auto parts stores it appears Denso 3491 may be the same plug, but has a gap of 0.032. Any idea if they’re actually identical?

Last edited:
You can also use Denso #4705 (the Iridium TT)

There is no meaningful difference between .031 and .032. The 8 in the long part number is 8 mm, and those 3-prong things can't be adjusted anyway.

You can also use Denso #4705 (the Iridium TT)

There is no meaningful difference between .031 and .032. The 8 in the long part number is 8 mm, and those 3-prong things can't be adjusted anyway.
Would the gap on the Denso 4705 of 0.04 be an issue?

Thank you! I will take another look at it. The video I saw online was this. While that is the same engine the setup is slightly different for 2017, but it just seemed a bit arduous to access the back three plugs. On another note where do you reference torque specs for the plugs? Also in the manual it says the Denso FK20HBR8 is the correct plug and has a gap of 0.031. At auto parts stores it appears Denso 3491 may be the same plug, but has a gap of 0.032. Any idea if they’re actually identical?
It isn’t as bad as it looks. Of all the transverse engines out there, this is probably the easiest one to do right now, IMO.

Just buy the plugs from the dealer with the intake gaskets.

It isn’t as bad as it looks. Of all the transverse engines out there, this is probably the easiest one to do right now, IMO.

Just buy the plugs from the dealer with the intake gaskets.
Do you replace the throttle bottle gasket on the '17 as well or does that not need to be removed?

Would the gap on the Denso 4705 of 0.04 be an issue?
It will not be an issue :)

Regardless, this is why I always prefer the 4-cylineder version of FWD cars available with I4 and V6 :D

They probably will last 100k with no problem, though, even though Toyota recommends 60k. Hopefully, NGK will come out with a ruthenium for the FKS soon

Reactions: FZ1
Do you replace the throttle bottle gasket on the '17 as well or does that not need to be removed?
The throttle body needs to be removed but the coolant hoses can remain attached. I do not replace the throttle body gasket, never had any issues.

Just a casual update.. my local dealership charges $816 just to replace the spark plugs. Yeah, I'll be tackling this job myself.
Book time is a bit under 3 hrs iirc.

It will not be an issue :)

Regardless, this is why I always prefer the 4-cylineder version of FWD cars available with I4 and V6 :D

They probably will last 100k with no problem, though, even though Toyota recommends 60k. Hopefully, NGK will come out with a ruthenium for the FKS soon
You may want to reconsider giving advice for things that you do not have experience with. Studying spec sheets is not a replacement for relevant experience, sorry.

I think it is bcs. DI. On 2GR-FE it is 120k I believe.
Correct.

Plugs were nasty at 60K on the DI motors:

The throttle body needs to be removed but the coolant hoses can remain attached. I do not replace the throttle body gasket, never had any issues.

Book time is a bit under 3 hrs iirc.

You may want to reconsider giving advice for things that you do not have experience with. Studying spec sheets is not a replacement for relevant experience, sorry.

Correct.

Plugs were nasty at 60K on the DI motors:
I saw your photos, just curious what your OCI is.

Back