Toyota 2AZ-FE 2.4L high oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is this sight so difficult to search?

I'm quite sure this topic has been hashed over, as it is well known that this engine burns oil. There are lawsuits, etc. however, I'm having difficulty finding a few good suggestions about how to proceed from people that have had some success.

I have a friend with a 2009 Pontiac with this engine, built at the Freemont, CA. Plant. 114,000 miles

Burns two quarts every 1000 miles. Looking for the best course of action to possibly correct or ease the problem, if possible.

Apparently its deposits around the oil control rings that are the culprit, right?

Please, I'm interested in persons suggestions only with direct knowledge of this issue.

Thanks in advance!

You didn't turn up anything doing your search?.. weird, i found multiple threads on BITOG about the oil burning issue on that engine....

Even a quick Google search turned up numerous web pages detailing possible fixes to info on lawsuits...hmm.. and you couldn't find anything? 🤔

Last edited:
I have a 2008 RAV4, burns a quart every 1200. I got a notice in 2015 of extended warranty to 10 years 120k I believe. The threshold was MORE than a quart every 1200....so I let it go. I did find some oils seemed to burn less. The motor has too small of holes in the piston so the oil cannot flow back to the sump. I would assume some oils might do a better job of cleaning these holes or perhaps just flowing back to the sump better.

I have been running 0-20 and seeing lowered use. For summer thought I would try 10-40 for the heck of it, see how much it uses.

Well a 2009 car is ten years old, and 100k+ miles,

I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to take care of you on this one. I'd have an indy mechanic yank the motor out and fix it.

I suppose we have been lucky with out 11 Scion with the 2.4L, it uses about 1/2 quart per 5k runs on 5w20 Pennzoil with jiffy lube filters.

Look into the extended warranty and see if that's a possible avenue.

The native BITOG search isn't all that great. If you want to search a topic on BITOG, I'd recommend using google to use search by typing in the subject of your query and adding "site:bobistheoilguy.com". For example,2AZ-FE 2.4L high oil consumption site:bobistheoilguy.com.

Originally Posted by JustinH

I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to take care of you on this one. I'd have an indy mechanic yank the motor out and fix it.

I suppose we have been lucky with out 11 Scion with the 2.4L, it uses about 1/2 quart per 5k runs on 5w20 Pennzoil with jiffy lube filters.

If lots of people on BITOG used only that much oil they'd be tickled pink.

Last edited:
It's ready for the oil-burning fix: new pistons and rings. The parts aren't a lot, but the flat rate for the labor is 20+ hours. If he's not the original owner of this Vibe, I can imagine that Toyota hasn't found him with their notice. He should waste no time getting to a Toyota dealer if he wants it fixed out of Toyota's pocket.

Go to Toyota dealer, challenge is that is a Pontiac Vibe.
Hopefully, the Toyota dealer honor the extended warranty.

Your friend may only have a few days because IIRC, it depends on the date the car was put in service (bought).
It is a 10 years from date of service.

Last edited:
Why would Toyota be responsible? They sold the block to GM, I don't know if a long one or short; did GM make any mods to the engine by adding its own pistons or rings or whatever. Fighting a losing battle methinks.

better than girlfriends 13 malibu LS 2.5L DI down to a qt on a thou with 63 thou easy miles, it took oil from new + continually got worse, last changes were 5-40 that slowed it for a bit!

apparently you are not reading my posts. Toyota EXTENDED their normal warranty, just for cars like you have.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Why would Toyota be responsible? They sold the block to GM, I don't know if a long one or short; did GM make any mods to the engine by adding its own pistons or rings or whatever. Fighting a losing battle methinks.

Toyota sold the whole motor to GM. Who is responsible.....good question.

Originally Posted by philipp10

apparently you are not reading my posts. Toyota EXTENDED their normal warranty, just for cars like you have.

Just because you extended your warranty to get government off you back doesn't mean they really did anything. I'd like to really hear from someone who Toyota really fixed this problem for some people here on BITOG. Having said that I own a 2004 Toyota and its been nothing but normal maintenance.

Last edited:
My wife has the 2007 Camry 2.4L. When I lost my job in 2009 I started changing her oil. It was around 45,000 miles and I decided to go with mobile 1 syn. I noticed their was very little oil in the engine. Must have been 2-3 qts low. I googled the issue and EVERYONE was having the same issue. I took it to dealership. Long story short...they wanted to do oil consumption study. Wanted us back at the dealership every 1,000 miles to check oil. I called Toyota regional and the guy asked me for the VIN. The next week Toyota put a new engine in her car under warranty. This was 2009-2010. Now their is a TSB out I think. Low tension rings and piston change.

Just another example how far automobile companies are going to get better fuel economy...not all their fault? Government is pushing for fuel economy AND low emissions.

Originally Posted by warrior
My wife has the 2007 Camry 2.4L. When I lost my job in 2009 I started changing her oil. It was around 45,000 miles and I decided to go with mobile 1 syn. I noticed their was very little oil in the engine. Must have been 2-3 qts low. I googled the issue and EVERYONE was having the same issue. I took it to dealership. Long story short...they wanted to do oil consumption study. Wanted us back at the dealership every 1,000 miles to check oil. I called Toyota regional and the guy asked me for the VIN. The next week Toyota put a new engine in her car under warranty. This was 2009-2010. Now their is a TSB out I think. Low tension rings and piston change.

Just another example how far automobile companies are going to get better fuel economy...not all their fault? Government is pushing for fuel economy AND low emissions.

It is their fault. Government is pushing requirements IN COORDINATION with auto manufacturers. Actually, in EU auto manufacturers have more swing over emissions than any other lobbying organization.
Also, why other manufacturers do not have that issue? They also have to meet those standards.

My 2009 Scion tC 2AZ-FE can burn up to a quart every 1500 miles depending on what brand oil I use. The owner's manual actually states normal consumption is up to 1 liter (1.1 quarts) per 600 miles.

For my car spec (four quarts of 0w20/5w20), Valvoline full synthetic w/ maxlife technology 0w20 works incredibly well. I still use oil, but only a quart every 3-4k miles.

Originally Posted by Charlie2015
My 2009 Scion tC 2AZ-FE can burn up to a quart every 1500 miles depending on what brand oil I use. The owner's manual actually states normal consumption is up to 1 liter (1.1 quarts) per 600 miles.

For my car spec (four quarts of 0w20/5w20), Valvoline full synthetic w/ maxlife technology 0w20 works incredibly well. I still use oil, but only a quart every 3-4k miles.

All manuals of all manufacturers state that.
It gives them flexibility to not address slew of warranty issues.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Yes but it doesn't guarantee you're going to buy your next car from them. Its a business decision they want your business or they don't.
Chevrolet made that decision once they lost my business for 36 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by edyvw

Yes but it doesn't guarantee you're going to buy your next car from them. Its a business decision they want your business or they don't.
Chevrolet made that decision once they lost my business for 36 years.

I am not saying anything about that. I am saying that in every manual it says that 1qt per 600 miles is acceptable.
Of course, in reality we all know that that is serious issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back