Toyota '07 engines belt or chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched and can't find an answer.
Is there a website to find out what each engine uses for timing?
My son is looking at buying a Camry.Either 4 or 6cyl.
And I'd like to see if the new almighty 5.7 is belt or chain.
Having two Toyota vehicles in the fleet('99 Camry/'02 Tundra) needing belt replacement at about the same time is hard on the wallet!
Thanks
RichR

I do believe the Camry has a chain in the 4 cyl. Your son had better have deep pockets as the acquisition of those 2 extra cyls. has a premium of close to $3,000.00. Most articles I've read say go with the 4 cyl. in the Camry. The 6 cyl may also request the dreaded Premium fuel.

I know the 2.4L 4 uses a chain. I have on in my Scion tC and oilbabe has one in her Camry.

If he goes the Camry route, he will probably get a winner. Oilbabe has 154K on the clock and the only repair on her Camry has been a torn CV boot. Sure, we've done maintenance, tires, battery, oil changes, plugs, filters, and brakes. But the only thing broken was a torn CV boot.

Not an exciting car, but it goes everyday.

www.gates.com has a guide for the timing belt intervals of pretty much any vehicle ever made. If your engine isn't in their guide, then it doesn't have a timing belt.

The 4 cylinder on the Camry is chain driven and so is the 5.7V8 in the Tundra. I am not sure on the 3.5V6 I would ask the either the lead service writer or one of the technicians or the parts guy at the counter. Bryan thinks the V6 is chain driven and it probably is. Most of Toyota's newer engine designs have been going back to chain drive.

The Camry has the 2GRFE
GR series engine info

The 2GR-FE is a 3.5 L (3456 cc) version. Bore remains at 94 mm but stroke is reduced to 83 mm. Output is 268 hp (200 kW) at 6200 rpm with 248 ft.lbf (336 Nm) of torque at 4700 rpm on 87 octane, while 91 octane provides a small boost in performance of 4 hp to 272 and 6 lb-ft to 254. This version features Toyota's "dual-VVT-i", variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust cams. Valves are driven by roller-follower rocker arms with low friction roller bearings, and a unique, concave cam lobe design to increase valve lift over the traditional shimless lifter type system of the 1GR-FE. This increases overall cylinder head height to accomodate the slightly taller roller rocker system. Moreover, the cylinder head is segmented into 3 parts: valve cover, camshaft sub-assembly housing, and cylinder head sub-assembly. As such, this valvetrain is used across all other GR engines with dual VVT-i.

Applications:

2005 Toyota Avalon
2006 Toyota Aurion
2006 Toyota RAV4 V6
2006 Toyota Estima V6
2007 Toyota Previa V6
2007 Toyota Tarago V6
2007 Toyota Camry V6
2007 Lexus ES 350
2007 Lexus RX 350
2008 Toyota Kluger
2008 Toyota Highlander

My 2006 Highlander (a 3MZ-FE) is also belt driven.

I have never understood the motivation for a belt....it doesn't sound right that I need to replace it every 100K miles (what if it broke before that, the #@$%! this sure will last 60K warranty and after than I am on my own)..

Sucks, when my 2000 Nissan had a chain why not these #@$%! vehicles in 2006!!

We have a sales brochure for the new Tundras here in the office and it has a cut view of the valvetrain. Its clearly a belt driven valvetrain as it show the two belts and associated hardware. Maybe this is wrong????

The 4.7 is belt driven the 5.7 is chain driven, the 1grfe and other aluminum block GR series engines are chain driven. For the real deal go look at one.

Looking at a Tundra ad in the latest Truck Trend which is focusing on the 5.7. It is no doubt a belt in the ad. Do you think Toyota would show a pic of the 4.7 cutaway because they think the average buyer wouldn't know the difference? Well maybe, because they show a picture of some tubular exhuast and they are calling it "headers". Maybe they think if they call it that we'll all go "oooooo, that is so cool Toyota, you are the first to do that!" Just because you make an exhaust out of tubes (Ford has been doing it for years, better than cast iron but certainly not free flowing headers) doesn't make us all gullible. Got to love advertising at it's finest.

Quote:

. . . Got to love advertising at it's finest.

Well how, exactly, would you characterize something along the lines of, ummmm, "like a rock"? How gullible do you have to be to take any meaning from that??? Let's face it, they all advertise, foreign and domestic, and the vast bulk of the "info" in the ads is pure blather.

Back O/T, belts seem to be fading from the Toyota line. As Bryan indicated the older 4.7L V-8 is belt driven, as is the last remnant of the xMZ series (the 3MZ, still found only in the Highlander and V-6 version of the Solara).

Quote:

I do believe the Camry has a chain in the 4 cyl. Your son had better have deep pockets as the acquisition of those 2 extra cyls. has a premium of close to $3,000.00. Most articles I've read say go with the 4 cyl. in the Camry. The 6 cyl may also request the dreaded Premium fuel.

The 6 is a no brainer with the Accord over the I4. I get 25 mpg without any full synthetic ever used.

Coming soon this summer...

ekpolk, bout the same as I do from "Oh what a feeling". I always thought like a rock refered to boat anchors anyways. It's all noise to me no matter who does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back