Towing with cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do it, add an extra cooler for the auto tranny. Also, don't be afraid to lock the tranny in a lower gear.

Honestly, I'd agree with what people are saying about possibly renting something for the trip. IMO, anything FWD makes a pretty terrible tow vehicle, as you're shifting weight rearward on the suspension, so getting moving uphill in the rain can be fun.

Nick, I disagree with most everyone. In Europe even smaller cars tow more then what you have in store.

Is it an automatic? If so just monitor the color/smell of the tranny fluid when you get there and get back. You might have to change it sooner then expected, but that's the only nit here.

I towed a 1,000+ lb trailer with my 2007 Toyota Yaris from Seattle to Nashville with no incident, nor handling issues. My Yaris has a 1.5L but less power then your Cruze, and it is a bit smaller car too. Sure it had less get up but it was not so bad that it was dangerous to get on freeways. I checked the auto-tranny fluid upon arriving in Nashville and it was a tad darker then expected, so instead of changing it out at 50,000 miles, I'll do it at 40,000, which means I have 10,000 to go since the last change.

The trailer I was pulling was filled to the gills, and was longer then my car. and the car was filled with stuff to the point of nearly bursting open. During the trip to Nashville, we got a lot of strange stares, and often these lookers would laugh in disbelief! We averaged 75 MPH that trip, but our MPG dropped from a usual 40 to 21 MPG.

We towed that same trail on another trip; from Minneapolis to Seattle a year before, and we had to climb over a few mountain ranges such as the cascades, with no problems, no handling issues.

The only big difference is that my car was made in Japan, which means it is nearly indestructable; can't speak to that for your Cruze however.

My car has over 136,000 miles and I have spent $0.00 on repairs. It runs perfectly today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lovcom
The only big difference is that my car was made in Japan, which means it is nearly indestructable; can't speak to that for your Cruze however.

Oh Lord that just made my day
crackmeup2.gif

You'd have to be a working mechanic that works on all makes to really understand what I wrote...or like me, having had several American cars new, and every single one was was very unreliable.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Oh Lord that just made my day
crackmeup2.gif

Mine too!
crackmeup2.gif

So it isn't that the Cruze is too small to tow a camper and a full payload of people, it's that it's American! Too bad somebody hasn't made a fifth wheel hitch for the roof of the Yaris.

nah, the Cruze should do the trick just fine...but it being a Chevy would make me a bit nervous...my wife's ex-husband works as a mechanic at a Chevy dealership in the midwest....I hear a lot of his stories...he drives a 2002 Accord.

You can do the "God and Country" thing, but I'd rather go for quality :)

Last edited:
Because I didnt give you an answer you liked, I;m a trill?

Grow up...and accept the fact that you will not always like the postings of others.

You can do the "God and Country" thing, but I'd rather go for quality :)

I did go for quality and have no complaints. Maybe that's why my truck's transmission fluid doesn't turn dark after towing a small trailer.

My dad's Civic Hybrid, made in Japan, has never towed anything in its life and has probably never had a payload of over 500 lbs. and is a frequent visitor to the Honda dealer for things like transmissions and the hybrid battery pack. Luckily Honda has covered $7000-$8000 in repairs under warranty.

I suggest you either rent, or buy the wife something really nice to help convince her why you need the Equinox. Cars can typically tow more than they are rated, but towing and passengers are a very heavy load.

It happens that Hondas and Toyotas can come as lemons.

The thing is, this is often the EXCEPTION and not the rule. With other makes, lots of problems are the rule. This was the case with every single domestic car I purchased over the last 3 decades, and never with any Japanese product I have bought. Having said that, I'm not often surprised when I hear of people getting Japanese lemons...which are no less "sour" then American ones lol

Last edited:
I'd agree that a lot of cars are under-rated.
My car is rated, I believe, 1000lbs?
Ridiculous.
My Grandpa's Ranger is 5k lbs, IIRC.
I have a bigger engine, stronger transmission, and, most importantly, bigger brakes.
The 1997 CV with TOW package was rated up there too. Its been declining since even though the brakes, frame, engine, and transmission have had changes to make them stronger/more powerful.
Widespread opinion is it was underrated to push people to the SUVs.

Last edited:
C'mon guys, let's not get this thread locked because of off-topic banter about foreign vs. domestic. Does every thread HAVE to come to this??

Nick, personal liability is the key here. As others have noted, if you're over your limit (and you will be), you'll be the first in the courtroom, and that's not worth ANYTHING to me. The reasons behind the tow limits being the way they are may not apply to you (no respect for the road or equipment or whatever). But the liability always applies to you. There will always be cowboys out there who have towed more than somebody else with less equipment than somebody else and they'll come on here and post about it.

It's simply not worth the risk of going to court over something like this. The rest of your life isn't worth trading away because of not renting a vehicle or driving a separate vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
C'mon guys, let's not get this thread locked because of off-topic banter about foreign vs. domestic. Does every thread HAVE to come to this??

Nick, personal liability is the key here. As others have noted, if you're over your limit (and you will be), you'll be the first in the courtroom, and that's not worth ANYTHING to me. The reasons behind the tow limits being the way they are may not apply to you (no respect for the road or equipment or whatever). But the liability always applies to you. There will always be cowboys out there who have towed more than somebody else with less equipment than somebody else and they'll come on here and post about it.

It's simply not worth the risk of going to court over something like this. The rest of your life isn't worth trading away because of not renting a vehicle or driving a separate vehicle.

This seems like wise advice to me. Most likely you'd be fine with the Cruze, but you're toying with fate.

What about overheating the brakes and causing an accident? Sure the cruze can probably tow the load, but can you drive in traffic and be safe with that load? I say no, take the SUV.

I think the vehicle can pull the trailer and weight.

I would be scared to attach 1000lbs behind me in relatively light car like the Cruze for two reasons:

1) Stopping quickly
2) swaying your light car and likely flipping it

I believe liability insurance works much different abroad have many exclusions. The US the vehicle maker and insurer is on the line.

I towed 2500 lbs(half capacity) behind my Acura MDX and with 6 passengers and noticed the weight in stopping. The stability control system at least is designed for a trailer and recognizes it back there to help stabilize the vehicle.

I think if could be done safely, but at low speeds like 55MPH and under. I'm not sure you want to go faster fully loaded and pulling a trailer without brakes. Again, it could be done, but not safely.
Your choice.

Actually there is a guy (engineer) that pulled a trailer with ultra light plane with a prius for quite a distance. But, one person in car, lightly loaded and at 50MPH or under.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

I towed 2500 lbs(half capacity) behind my Acura MDX and with 6 passengers and noticed the weight in stopping.

With that kind of weight, trailer brakes are a must. I pull a boat with my RAV4 at the towing limit (3500 lbs), but with trailer brakes, stopping is as effortless as without trailer.

Japanese lemons...which are no less "sour" then American ones lol

That we can agree on.

Quote:
Nick, personal liability is the key here.

Agreed, that's what it really comes down to. I think the Cruze can definitely handle the weight, but it will be a huge liability if anything at all happens. Better to play it safe and cover your bases by using a larger vehicle so the load is well within its legal capacity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back