2016 Ram 1500 Hemi towing impressions

I've had my truck for a few years now and thought I'd just share my opinions on how this truck does towing. I hear a lot of folks saying no one does real work with a half ton and I like to think that mine has to earn its keep from time to time. I tow heavy for maybe 5% of the miles I put on the truck and to me that doesn't justify living with a 3/4 ton truck for normal day to day life. Spec's on my truck are 4wd, 3.92 gears, payload rating 1150lbs. Tow rating is right at 10k. Generally speaking if I'm towing a big trailer I don't have anything in the truck other than a couple passengers. I do have Airlift 1000 bags in the back that I pump up to 25psi if I have a big trailer.

Hemi has plenty of power in all situations. I generally hold it down in either gear 6/7 with the steering wheel controls. and it takes a large hill for it to kick all the way down to 4th at normal speeds. Takes very little throttle to maintain 55-65mph. The 8 speed does a fantastic job staying in the right gear and downshifting in braking situations. Built in brake controller also seems to work well. I got 10mpg towing the camper and 11-12 with either the tractor or that hearse. The camper GVWR was 6500lbs and I'd say my tractor/trailer combo weighs 7000ish lbs.

Attachments

• hearse.jpg
    hearse.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Ram Camper.jpg
    Ram Camper.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Ram Tractor.jpg
    Ram Tractor.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Bunkhouse, no slide Jayco? Similar to my 26DJSE if so. Although I use a little less truck than you.
Yeah I believe it was 26ft. I work on an Air Force base and they have them available to rent. I want a camper at some point, so renting this one was a nice trial run. I don't think I'd want to pull much more camper with my truck. The slide model seems to weigh nearly 1k more.

I towed for the first time with a '19 Rebel 4x4 the other day. My impression of the Hemi was exactly what you'd expect from a small block gasser today: adequate power but keeps the hamsters running at a dizzying pace.

They've done such a good job with NVH you don't know it unless you make the mistake of looking at the tach.

I've towed the exact same trailer across the country with my '11 Ford 6.2/6R140 and the 6.2 definitely did a better job.

The 6.2 spins, but the 5.7 Hemi with the same load spins a lot more.

We live at 6500' so altitude is a considerable factor.

I towed for the first time with a '19 Rebel 4x4 the other day. My impression of the Hemi was exactly what you'd expect from a small block gasser today: adequate power but keeps the hamsters running at a dizzying pace.

They've done such a good job with NVH you don't know it unless you make the mistake of looking at the tach.

I've towed the exact same trailer across the country with my '11 Ford 6.2/6R140 and the 6.2 definitely did a better job.

The 6.2 spins, but the 5.7 Hemi with the same load spins a lot more.

We live at 6500' so altitude is a considerable factor.
Did you notice how well the ZF 8HP handled engine braking? It is incredible.

Good comments. I had a 2017 Ram 1500 that was equipped with the 4 corner air suspension. That truck towed my 20' enclosed utility trailer flawlessly. Extremely stable. What was most impressive, the air suspension automatically added pressure to the rear bags when loading the trailer so there was essentially zero squat. Loaded, the trailer was only around 3500#, but the truck handled it wonderfully. for reasons not important here, I replaced that truck with a Ford F150 Limited, with the high HP 3.5 ecoboost (450 hp, 510 ft lbs tq). The Ford handled the same trailer well, but didn't feel as stable on the highway. Power obviously wasn't an issue, nor was braking (both trucks had an electric brake controller). Fuel economy was actually a bit better towing with the Ram. 13 ish towing with the Ram, vs 12 ish with the Ford. Overall, the Ram was a decidedly better tow vehicle.

Yeah I believe it was 26ft. I work on an Air Force base and they have them available to rent. I want a camper at some point, so renting this one was a nice trial run. I don't think I'd want to pull much more camper with my truck. The slide model seems to weigh nearly 1k more.
I purchased a 2020 F150 with the Ecoboost 3.5 last September-past camping season. I also have a 26DJSE like another poster. After watching the towing tests over at TFLtruck for the F150 w/the 3.5-I expect it to be a much better tow vehicle than the 2018 Silverado 5.3 I traded in. We shall see soon. I did hook up the wd hitch-and I'm happy to report it doesn't need any adjustments from the last truck.

I purchased a 2020 F150 with the Ecoboost 3.5 last September-past camping season. I also have a 26DJSE like another poster. After watching the towing tests over at TFLtruck for the F150 w/the 3.5-I expect it to be a much better tow vehicle than the 2018 Silverado 5.3 I traded in. We shall see soon. I did hook up the wd hitch-and I'm happy to report it doesn't need any adjustments from the last truck.
The 10-speed does a really good job of keeping the motor where it is happy, although it can be dim-witted at times it seems, it will pull that trailer around with no problem. I do it with the Ranger and the powertrain is quite effective, with that 3.5 it will be a cake walk.

Reactions: CKN
Back