Towing w/ 4-Cylinder Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
My aunt has been on the lookout for a replacement vehicle for a while now, something that can tow her 2023 NuCamp Tab400 camper. She’s pretty set on the new Lexus GX550 but who knows when it’ll be available.

With the new 4Runner that was just released, that could be a great option. However, it’s a 4 cylinder turbo. Has quite a bit more power than the V6 it replaces but I’m worried towing would stress out the turbo long term. For comparison she has a 2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6L and it’s pretty stressed. It isn’t just the weight, it’s mostly the camper being a giant parachute going down the road.

Would a small turbo be glowing-red towing a lot?

View attachment 213419
No, the turbo won’t be “glowing red hot”. It will be water cooled, well-lubricated, and just fine under load.

I’ve towed with a 4 cylinder turbo that had far less power and the turbo was cooled only by oil. Idled it for a minute before setting off. Idled it for a minute before shutting down. Both to let the turbo warm up, and to let it cool down.

The engine you’re discussing was designed for this. It has far more sophisticated engine management - and can manage EGT and fuel temperature through fuel enrichment and other techniques.

I wouldn’t worry about towing with that engine one bit.

Just don’t run “cheap” oil. Use something that meets Toyota’s spec and change it on time.

At 120+ kph? (72+mph) You can tow with a 3cyl geo metro if you only want to go 20 mph

Lots of American interstates have a 75mph speed limit and most people go at or over the limit

Legal towing speed here is 60mph which the car doesn’t break a sweat at.

That said one day we were on holiday about 100miles from home and my Wife came down quite ill early hours one Sunday morning and wanted to get home. Luckily there was a private road between the caravan site and our house where I was able to cruise at a steady 80mph for just over an hour. The oil temp was sitting about ~125 degrees Celsius, peaking at 140 degrees Celsius on some inclines. Car is fine!

Last edited:
Hey, get a repertible towing person for advice on towing stuff,,,,,you can maybe tow a trailer, but your frame may not be able to stand the weight and your towing vehicle needs to have stopping power and handling,,, when in doubt use an 3/4 ton truck and 4 wheel drive ,,,,you wont have any problems,,,imho

Hey, get a repertible towing person for advice on towing stuff,,,,,you can maybe tow a trailer, but your frame may not be able to stand the weight and your towing vehicle needs to have stopping power and handling,,, when in doubt use an 3/4 ton truck and 4 wheel drive ,,,,you wont have any problems,,,imho

Why not be extra safe and use an intercity train instead?

If a vehicle is approved by its manufacturer to tow a certain weight then the vehicle is almost certainly capable of doing so!

We tow at a maximum of 65. Any hint of a hill with the Grand Cherokee makes the temp gauge start to rise. If you guys think it’ll be ok, we’ll add it to the list. Thanks

Why not be extra safe and use an intercity train instead?

If a vehicle is approved by its manufacturer to tow a certain weight then the vehicle is almost certainly capable of doing so!
Weight yes, but there are other factors. Length, drag, ability to recover in an emergency situation. You can can have all the power in the world but you still don't want the tail to wag the dog.

General rule of thumb for wheel base, the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length.

As far as towing with the turbo engine? You are going to be fine.

Chryslers have a much less dampened temp gauge than the asian vehicles. It's nothing to be alarmed about.
It goes into limp mode, I ran a scanner and I've seen it get to 253*

1FBAD953-DD94-4AD5-8FAF-8BFC7EA7B107.jpeg

My aunt has been on the lookout for a replacement vehicle for a while now, something that can tow her 2023 NuCamp Tab400 camper. She’s pretty set on the new Lexus GX550 but who knows when it’ll be available.

With the new 4Runner that was just released, that could be a great option. However, it’s a 4 cylinder turbo. Has quite a bit more power than the V6 it replaces but I’m worried towing would stress out the turbo long term. For comparison she has a 2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6L and it’s pretty stressed. It isn’t just the weight, it’s mostly the camper being a giant parachute going down the road.

Would a small turbo be glowing-red towing a lot?

View attachment 213419
That is a little itty bitty trailer. Should be fine. For a 4 Runner. Forget about the "power" output being higher than the previous V6. Irrelevant.

BIG THING= find the gear ratios for every gear in the tranny. Stay out of any gear that is less than 1.00, this will help tremendously. Worry not about spinning the engine, find a reasonable speed, in that gear >1, and check your oil at your gas stops.

It goes into limp mode, I ran a scanner and I've seen it get to 253*
Ok, that is not normal, I thought the gauge would just go above the half mark, but going into red and limp mode means something is amiss. Either the thermostat is partially closed or there is a blockage somewhere. The system should have more than enough cooling capacity for towing without any issues.

I've owned two turbo cars.

Towing will have the turbo glowing bright red, and the fuel mixture will be much richer. MPG will be very low. I'd suspect the turbo bearings would coke up due to the constant high temps. Maybe you could get around that with extra oil cooling.

I wouldn't try it unless the vehicle was specifically designed to tow.

That is a little itty bitty trailer. Should be fine. For a 4 Runner. Forget about the "power" output being higher than the previous V6. Irrelevant.

BIG THING= find the gear ratios for every gear in the tranny. Stay out of any gear that is less than 1.00, this will help tremendously. Worry not about spinning the engine, find a reasonable speed, in that gear >1, and check your oil at your gas stops.
Well, a couple things there. The weight isn't the problem for this trailer, it's the awful aerodynamics. It is an absolute parachute going down the road. I towed a car hauler trailer with my sandrail back from Oregon and it was fine. It's the load with the wind resistance.

Not looking for more power, the 3.6L is fine. Not going to win any races that's for sure, but I figure if it has more power, the engine won't be as stressed, and likely to overheat.
Ok, that is not normal, I thought the gauge would just go above the half mark, but going into red and limp mode means something is amiss. Either the thermostat is partially closed or there is a blockage somewhere. The system should have more than enough cooling capacity for towing without any issues.
I'm on the 3rd thermostat, new hoses, and I upgraded the radiator from the standard 5/8" thick one to the towing package one that's 1" thick. Condenser is clean as a whistle.

This car is just too old and needs to be retired as well. Around 164k miles. $ isn't the problem, it's the availability of a replacement vehicle. 4Runner, Land Cruiser, or GX550.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back