Towing a Horse Trailer w/Living Quarters

Friend wants to upgrade to a horse trailer with living quarters.

This is her current trailer: http://www.4startrailers.com/sites/...unabout/Bumper_Pull/Brochure_pwxb2d117069.pdf

Her current truck configuration is as follows:

21 Ram 2500, Crew Cab, standard 6.75' bed.
4X4
6.4L HEMI
3,124 lb payload rating
17,124 tow rating
Factory 5th wheel prep pkg

Can she realistically tow something like this:

I am hearing that 5th wheel horse trailers of this length need a 1-ton dually long bed, period, due to risk of jack-knifing.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Most if not all Featherlite horse trailers are gooseneck, not 5th wheel.

I tow a Featherlite Goosneck two horse trailer with my 2002 F350 V10 just fine. I am checking into the specs of the 7821. The 7821 caomes in 2,3, or 4 horse trailers. What size is your friend wanting to purchase?

On a good note- that trailer is aluminum, which is a nice weight saver over steel.

The Featherlite 7821 appears to have a gross weight of 15,000 lbs, so your friend will be in that limit. A couple things, as Barkleymut mentioned, where will the trailer be used. And how often..

Goosenecks are generally much safer to haul compared to a bumper pull. I do think the weight is the thing to look into, and how the trailer will be used and where. Once or twice a year from Florida to Texas? Or Monthly from Salt lake City to Denver. Big differences....

You know critic there are horse people (forums) out there who could help out. Many are seasoned at this type of towing. If she is going to be towing up in the Sierra Nevada's or other high mountains she needs a bigger truck-JMHO. I know in Utah the PRCA rodeos are held (I have attended) up in high mountain communities. I can't recall even seeing a 2500 in the "Rodeo Cowboy's" parking lot.

This is yet another example about how the trailer should have been bought first-then the truck to match......

Here were the weights listed for the featherlite trailer.
I imagine these are unloaded, and gooseneck which will be more stable.
Should be more than ok for the 2H, i might ask questions on the 3H/4H options.

Weight2H = Ranges from 7300# to 8000#; 3H = Ranges from 7500# to 10,700#; 4H = Ranges from 7700# to 11,500#

This is yet another example about how the trailer should have been bought first-then the truck to match......
Technically, she did buy her current trailer before the truck.

But things change, and she wants more.

Here were the weights listed for the featherlite trailer.
I imagine these are unloaded, and gooseneck which will be more stable.
Should be more than ok for the 2H, i might ask questions on the 3H/4H options.

Weight2H = Ranges from 7300# to 8000#; 3H = Ranges from 7500# to 10,700#; 4H = Ranges from 7700# to 11,500#
Thanks! To answer yours and @GON's questions, I think they are looking for the 2H model. FAQ suggests 30-35% pin weight for a LQ gooseneck trailer, so I am thinking that she will be very close to the truck's payload limit once that trailer is loaded.

Last edited:
Thats a reasonable amount of truck for the smaller trailer. I wouldnt get the 3 or 4 horse.

might not pass too many cowBros with 1000ft/lb torque diesels going up the mountain though.

While not a goose neck My daughter bought a bumper pull Featherlight 3 horse warm blood size with a dressing room that weighs 5,000 lbs empty and the wife's old F250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke pulled it really good with 4,000 lbs of horses pretty good and she now has a F350 with the 6.2 gas engine and we now only have 2 horses RIP the evil to the core mare, Cookie my wife has been to Roy Washington and Palo Cedro California with 2750 lbs of horses and the wife is happy with the performance ,,,but the living quarters trailer is much heavier. The TFL as some videos of the Ram pulling the Ike grade link to TFL the Ram could be borderline but may work do the math. Horse people are crazier than pilots in their passion.

Last edited:
That truck should be able to pull that without issue. It is probably close to what is comfortable for a gasser at that weight.

I am guessing she will be around 14,000 fully loaded if dry weight is about 7500. 2 horses, hay, equipment and all the stuff in here living quarters.
That seems like a lot of pin weight. When they talk 5th wheel travel trailers the average pin weight is usually about 20 percent.

My wife's family is really into horses. I can't remember the average weight of one but figure anywhere from 600 to 1100 lbs. My estimate of 14,000 might be a little high.

I could not find where you found that pin weight. I would probably run airbags with that load for stability if she can't or does not want to upgrade.

I will say this, those are some nice looking trailers. I don't blame her.

That truck should be able to pull that without issue. It is probably close to what is comfortable for a gasser at that weight.

I am guessing she will be around 14,000 fully loaded if dry weight is about 7500. 2 horses, hay, equipment and all the stuff in here living quarters.
That seems like a lot of pin weight. When they talk 5th wheel travel trailers the average pin weight is usually about 20 percent.

My wife's family is really into horses. I can't remember the average weight of one but figure anywhere from 600 to 1100 lbs. My estimate of 14,000 might be a little high.

I could not find where you found that pin weight. I would probably run airbags with that load for stability if she can't or does not want to upgrade.

I will say this, those are some nice looking trailers. I don't blame her.
Thanks.

This is where I found the pin weight info:

"
Q: Where should a load be placed on the trailer?

It’s recommended heavier items are loaded over the axles and kept closer to the floor of the trailer. Be sure to also maintain even side-to-side weight distribution. Well-designed and constructed trailers will maintain proper tongue weight, which is the downward force exerted on the hitch ball, provided they are properly loaded. Featherlite recommends that 10 to 15 percent of the total trailer weight should be on the tongue on bumper pull trailers, 20 to 25 percent on gooseneck trailers and 30 to 35 percent on living quarters trailers."

Thanks.

This is where I found the pin weight info:

"
Q: Where should a load be placed on the trailer?

It’s recommended heavier items are loaded over the axles and kept closer to the floor of the trailer. Be sure to also maintain even side-to-side weight distribution. Well-designed and constructed trailers will maintain proper tongue weight, which is the downward force exerted on the hitch ball, provided they are properly loaded. Featherlite recommends that 10 to 15 percent of the total trailer weight should be on the tongue on bumper pull trailers, 20 to 25 percent on gooseneck trailers and 30 to 35 percent on living quarters trailers."

Got it, that is a heavy pin weight. I figure my 32-foot bumper pull is just about 800 to 900 lbs. The 20 to 25 percent is common for a 5th wheel.
The living quarters must be heavy. She will be at or over payload.

Is the question whether the truck will physically pull it or will the truck pull it with a margin of safety and within the truck's weight limits? The 2 horse weight listed of 7300-8000# is likely empty? Horses, tack, hay, propane, water, personal living items could easily run it up to 11-12k. 30% for 11k is 3300# on the gooseneck. There were no GVWR numbers listed for these trailers. She needs to have a conversation with Featherlite and on some horse owner forums. Over 10k works a gas truck pretty good, you have to be okay with lots of high revs.

Personally-I don't think it will be a great towing experience. She just bought that truck. Can she get more than she paid for it? Somebody on another thread got $4,000.00 more for a totaled Honda Ridgeline than he paid.

You know critic there are horse people (forums) out there who could help out. Many are seasoned at this type of towing. If she is going to be towing up in the Sierra Nevada's or other high mountains she needs a bigger truck-JMHO. I know in Utah the PRCA rodeos are held (I have attended) up in high mountain communities. I can't recall even seeing a 2500 in the "Rodeo Cowboy's" parking lot.

Not sure if what you see in the Rodeo parking lot is a good indication on what rig fit's your needs....You'll end up with a 550/5500 or a medium duty Peterbilt;)

Not saying that a 2500 is sufficient for that trailer as I didn't look at the specs.

Personally-I don't think it will be a great towing experience. She just bought that truck. Can she get more than she paid for it? Somebody on another thread got $4,000.00 more for a totaled Honda Ridgeline than he paid.
She'll take an "average loss." Truck was purchased at $3000 UNDER msrp. It currently has 6K miles. Carvana trade in is $42K, which is $4K less than her pre-tax purchase price.

I don't think the resale value is very strong for 3/4 ton gas trucks, especially Stellantus products.

Not sure if what you see in the Rodeo parking lot is a good indication on what rig fit's your needs....You'll end up with a 550/5500 or a medium duty Peterbilt;)

Not saying that a 2500 is sufficient for that trailer as I didn't look at the specs.
I have seen hundreds of rodeo circuit trailers running on the interstate, through mountain areas. They all have one thing in common- driving insanely fast. They appear to be racing from one rodeo to another. The drivers of rodeo circuit rigs do not drive like individual horse trailer drivers.

The biggest issue I see is fueling up. One must be selective on the fuel stop when hauling a gooseneck with a truck that takes unleaded. Many unleaded fuel pump islands can't handle a truck and a gooseneck trailer.

If she keeps her RAM, rear air bags may be very beneficial for safety/ stability of the truck. Typically air bags run under $500, don't require any drilling, and can be installed by a novice in a few hours.

Here is a picture of my 2002 F350 V10 gasser and my Featherlight trailer. Zero issues running the truck and trailer at maximum weight through the Western Rockies/ mountains. The issue is the fuel stops. Fully loaded, this combination is lucky to get 8MPG, 6MPG can happen. Your friends rig will already be weighted down by the very nice living quarters her proposed trailer comes with (I saw the brochure- wow).

horse trailer.jpg

Back