Tow vehicle/daily driver SUV recommendations?

After my first road trip towing my 6k lb travel trailer with a tongue load of 600 lbs using my 2003 Suburban 1500, I was quite satisfied with the ride and performance, but it really struggled on the steeper mountain inclines. I am starting to consider other options with higher tow capacity and possibly upgrade my travel trailer in the future. My wish list is an older model vehicle (to try to keep cost down to 10 k range) either king cab pick up which would give me option for 5th wheel in the future, but more ideal is a SUV. I like the space for on the road enclosed storage when exploring my destination and lots of room for 3 plus dog. Thinking of older 2500 suburban or excursion. Would like to get 10mpg while towing. Maybe financing newer vehicle could be an option. Any input, feedback or recommendations? Vehicle would be used in between trips as a daily driver for wife. I realize 10k is probably not very practical, but anything more than that would need to be financed.

Are you satisfied with your current travel trailer? If you are committed to keeping this travel trailer, then sure look for a better tow vehicle, but if you even have a thought of getting a heavier/larger trailer or a 5th wheel, then figure that out first. Avoid upgrading your tow vehicle again because you decided to get a different trailer.

I have to say I have been very happy with my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Mine is a 2-WD with a 5.7 HEMI V-8, (360 H.P.). It has the towing package with a 7,400 pound towing capacity. (200 lb. more than the same model equipped with 4-WD).

Around town I average 19.0, and on the highway it easily tops 21.0 MPG. When we moved, I pulled a severely overloaded 12' U-Haul trailer 200 miles, and I honestly never knew it was back there. It barely made a dent in mileage as well. It comes in a variety of different trim packages. Mine is the Limited.

I don't think you can get the HEMI in 2-WD any longer. Or in the Limited. The higher trim packages all offer it however.

The problem with the older trucks, like your suburban, are the gears.

Not enough gears to stay in powerband. Big drop from first to second in older gm trucks.

I was towing a 5k trailer and was ok with an 03 avalanche (suburban frame 3.73:1). When I got 7k loaded TT it was inadequate. Brakes too small. No power ,hills killed it.

I went with a new ram with 4:10 and 8 speed , night and day difference.

I guess what I'm trying to say is with an older truck, you are going to spend money and still be unhappy because of the fewer transmission gears.

Maybe if you went diesel, but gas ( even2500) trucks you might not be happy with unless you get up newer to get past the 4l60 , 4l80 gears.
That will be hard to do in the 10k range.

Last edited:
Well you didn't give length of trailer , 6000lb trailer will have a tongue weight of more like at a minimum of 800 lbs . Published tongue weights are not remotely correct.
It's all about payload capacity , SUV's just don't have it , especially when you say 3 dogs and wanting inside storage for stuff . Most 1/2 tons have pretty poor payload capacity . You start adding everything up it doesn't take long and your overweight .
I have a 26 travel trailer , towed it with 1/2 one season , bought a 3/4 ton . 1/2 tons aren't for heaving towing .
Your best info will be in a travel trailer forum . A reliable vehicle for towing for 10k doesn't exist anymore . Hopefully you can work something out SAFELY .

Only thing you can find that would be reliable and able to tow (somewhat) heavy for under $10K is a newer Express 3500 (or 2500) with the 6.0/6L90, like the one in my sig. 10 MPG towing isn't likely to happen, to get those kind of MPGs with 10,000 pounds behind you will require diesel or at least Ecoboost turbo DI power, and then the price tag goe$ WAYYY UP!

Well you didn't give length of trailer , 6000lb trailer will have a tongue weight of more like at a minimum of 800 lbs . Published tongue weights are not remotely correct.
It's all about payload capacity , SUV's just don't have it , especially when you say 3 dogs and wanting inside storage for stuff . Most 1/2 tons have pretty poor payload capacity . You start adding everything up it doesn't take long and your overweight .
I have a 26 travel trailer , towed it with 1/2 one season , bought a 3/4 ton . 1/2 tons aren't for heaving towing .
Your best info will be in a travel trailer forum . A reliable vehicle for towing for 10k doesn't exist anymore . Hopefully you can work something out SAFELY .
Like I said above, my Express can do it, and has seating for 12 (which is removed exc. for 1 back seat) and it was $6500-but it took a lot of looking to find a decent non-rusty one. Weight distributing hitch, trailer brake controller, sway control, and the STRONGEST receiver hitch available are all necessities (I have the Curt Class V). https://www.curtmfg.com/part/15320

Just to play devil’s advocate, why not toss a new set of rear gears in there? Maybe uncork the exhaust, perhaps there is a bit of mods that can be done on the cheap. It sounds like you don’t want to spend money and finance, so perhaps there are some lower cost options that will fit the need.

What is “struggle”? If it kicks down to 2nd and maintains 60-65mph, is that considered “struggling”? Or is it truly dropping to 45mph out on the open road?

My old 2500 Suburban was a beast towing after I installed a front and rear 4.56 R&P. Was used to tow a 30 foot enclosed car hauler.

0A13B414-F7D9-4531-88F9-75B4D6DA8530.jpeg

Last edited:
VW Touareg TDI. Tows 7500 pounds and gets 30 mpg empty and maybe 20 mpg towing.
It has no payload capacity , no hitch capacity , tires that can't handle weight etc .
I looked at all the numbers of every SUV available when shopping vehicles . Yeah lots of vehicles have good towing numbers but that is only part of the equation .

VW Touareg TDI. Tows 7500 pounds and gets 30 mpg empty and maybe 20 mpg towing.
How much does it cost to buy, and what does it cost to repair? OP stated a budget to work within (I don’t follow the used market so I truly don’t know).

Tdi Touareg has like 1400 lb payload capacity , put 3 people and some gear in it plus a 80lb hitch there is nothing left for capacity .

I tow a 245 Terry 5th wheel with our 07 Ram CrewCab. I have an Anderson hitch with frame mounts. It has 3.92 2 WD gears. It gets about 21-22 not towing and 10-11 towing it. We love the setup cause our hitch weighs just 40 lbs and is easily removed to get our truck bed back. Previously we had a 34 foot class A and got 7.5 mpg with it.

What are you talking about? It's got all the capacity for what you're towing. That thing can tow a 747.

Does not have the wheelbase to tow a long 6-7 k travel trailer safely.
Also there is a difference in towing 6k on occasion, vs the duty cycle of towing all summer camping. Touareg would not hold up for this, plus as mentioned the payload and mainly the tongue weight.

Would not be safe.

Does not have the wheelbase to tow a long 6-7 k travel trailer safely.
Also there is a difference in towing 6k on occasion, vs the duty cycle of towing all summer camping. Touareg would not hold up for this, plus as mentioned the payload and mainly the tongue weight.

Would not be safe.
Safety has more to do with the driver than the equipment. Just looked it up and it can tow 7,716 pounds and has a 614 pound tongue rating. Well within the OP's trailer specs. Also, tow ratings in the U.S. are underrated for liability reasons. Plus there is a built-in safety margin so if you go a few hundred over it should be fine. If he has cargo that would raise that weight much more above the capacity, store it in the trailer.

Back