Tow vehicle/daily driver SUV recommendations?

The way I understand it is if you are doing something illegal, then you are a risk of having your insurance contract cancelled should you get into an accident and get sued. Maybe someone in the auto insurance business here can comment on this?

Nope as I already said, you cannot retroactively cancel a contract. You might be able to rescind it for a material misrepresentation (very rare) or deny coverage for due you some exclusion, conditions or loss payment provision.

Insurance contracts are contracts of adhesion which means any vagueness is interpreted in favor of the insured.

It’s true most include an exclusion for illegal acts but thin interionally running your wife’s lover over, not speeding or negligently overloading a trailer.

I have never heard of an insurance contract that would do what you scenario said. Which is why I sled for an example.

Is towing overweight a crime of any sort ? I'm sure it is for over the road trucking companies . Kinda like the O.J case , he didn't do it but he is being sued .

Is towing overweight a crime of any sort ? I'm sure it is for over the road trucking companies . Kinda like the O.J case , he didn't do it but he is being sued .
Not that I am aware of, outside the 26k limit. If obviously unsafe I’ve read that cops will stop you, but also that they have other things to do than to see if you are 1k over.

Ive looked for cases of this being sued for overweight and the cause of an accident. There was a thread I finally came across, I think it was an RV board though, were someone was in insurance and did indicate that payouts went up due to negligence. Kinda second hand though.

I just read the Illinois statutes on when your auto insurance can be cancelled. There are a LOT of reasons you can be cancelled, including negligence and illegal behavior.
Cancelled or they won't pay a claim?

Obviously a company can decide not to renew you, albeit within the confines of a regulated marketplace where they may have to offer you insurance in the first place. And that experience can vary widely from state-to-state

Nope as I already said, you cannot retroactively cancel a contract. You might be able to rescind it for a material misrepresentation (very rare) or deny coverage for due you some exclusion, conditions or loss payment provision.

Insurance contracts are contracts of adhesion which means any vagueness is interpreted in favor of the insured.

It’s true most include an exclusion for illegal acts but thin interionally running your wife’s lover over, not speeding or negligently overloading a trailer.

I have never heard of an insurance contract that would do what you scenario said. Which is why I sled for an example.
The insurance companies limit of payout is your per person and/or per accident amount in your contract. For instance, a $250,000/$500,000 liability limit is common. If you get sued for negligence and lose a $10,000,000 lawsuit, your insurance is required to pay up to the limit or your liability coverage, but nothing more. So in this hypothetical loss, you'd be on the hook for $9,500,000. Keep in mind while you over load your truck that nuclear verdicts have become commonplace.

Can anyone expand on what is involved in gearing upgrade and what I could expect to improve with regards to performance? To answer 1 question posed, I could maintain about 45 mph on steepest inclines, but if I wanted anything more, rpms went out to over 4k and oil pressure went up with rpms.
So the gears in the rear would have to be changed. While not difficult it does require some knowledge to set properly and is often done by a shop specializing in it. And if you have a 4wd it then costs twice as much.

But with deeper gearing you get higher rpm at any given speed, as compared to before. And improved takeoff too, it should accelerate faster (or easier, depending on how you view it).

There should be an rpo code in the glovebox, a gu something, like gu5, which can be used to look up the gear ratio installed.

That said, I say, wind it out, V8’s sound glorious under load…

Op mentioned the possibility of a 5th wheel, that puts him right into 3/4 ton trucks and the previously touted Toureg or Excursion is going to struggle hitching up to that. He said he's fine with the performance everywhere but in the mountains. Re-gearing isn't going to keep the Sub from wanting to rev uphill unless he hits a sweet spot in the torque curve between gears that will work for a specific grade/speed combo. More power and or more gears needed.

$10k is going to buy a dumpster fire truck or SUV right now. Really think about the next trailer so you buy enough tow vehicle.

These towing threads always get sketchy advice...

If somebody slams in to me over payload I'm suing...........................I'm an avid tower and I know where my numbers are at! BTW-in many states simply changing the gears doesn't increase LEGAL PAYLOAD.

Op mentioned the possibility of a 5th wheel, that puts him right into 3/4 ton trucks and the previously touted Toureg or Excursion is going to struggle hitching up to that. He said he's fine with the performance everywhere but in the mountains. Re-gearing isn't going to keep the Sub from wanting to rev uphill unless he hits a sweet spot in the torque curve between gears that will work for a specific grade/speed combo. More power and or more gears needed.

$10k is going to buy a dumpster fire truck or SUV right now. Really think about the next trailer so you buy enough tow vehicle.

These towing threads always get sketchy advice...
That's because people that have never towed comment on these threads.....

Is towing overweight a crime of any sort ?
100% promise you that if you are overweight and you get DOTed, you will get a fine at minimum and probably parked. Generally local police don't deal with overweight issues, they just call their friends at the DOT. The DOT boys and girls take their jobs very seriously, ask anyone who has been "DOTed"

The insurance companies limit of payout is your per person and/or per accident amount in your contract. For instance, a $250,000/$500,000 liability limit is common.

Obviously with any negligence you subject yourself to the possibility of an excess verdict.

Promise you I understand exactly how limits work. An excess verdict wasn’t the original scenario I understood you were presenting… I basically have two issues with the original scenario - btw I completely agree that over loading it is a bad idea.

1) “canceling” - canceling is something that happens at a future date for instance for non payment of premium, claim history or driving record… you’ll get a letter that says the policy is canceled effective on —— < insert future date. Non-renewal would be effective for the next policy period and a rescintion is essentially a voiding of the entire policy with refund of premium. This generally only happens when some fact has been misrepresented to the point that the company would not have issued the policy had they known the true facts. EVERYTHING else is some form of denial of coverage.

2) if I understood the original scenario - the fictional PH had purchased some higher than minimum limit, but was only afforded minimum limits because of the illegal act - this would have to be some state statute I would think, I have never seen a policy that would respond like that… things are typically covered or not…

So if you have an example of it happening I’d love to read the facts and understand how that worked…

I’m talking about personal auto here too, not commercial… commercial policies are a different animal…

Re-gearing isn't going to keep the Sub from wanting to rev uphill unless he hits a sweet spot in the torque curve between gears that will work for a specific grade/speed combo. More power and or more gears needed.
Yep and precisely what a gear vendors would do for him.

Instaed on 1>2>3>4 he could have 1>OD>2>OD>3>OD>4>OD

I don't think overweight is an issue in this case. Trailer is 5472 with full propane tanks. I don't usually carry water, but when I do, it would add a couple hundred pounds. Tanks are always emptied before travel and we only carry some dishes, clothes, small grill and a couple tools in cargo bays. Tongue weight is 760...just verified. Not sure which rear axle I have, but manual says max trailer weight is 7400 or 8400 lbs, depending on axle. This is the main reason I bought this travel trailer, was the lighter weight. GCWR is 13k or 14k.

I don't think overweight is an issue in this case. Trailer is 5472 with full propane tanks. I don't usually carry water, but when I do, it would add a couple hundred pounds. Tanks are always emptied before travel and we only carry some dishes, clothes, small grill and a couple tools in cargo bays. Tongue weight is 760...just verified. Not sure which rear axle I have, but manual says max trailer weight is 7400 or 8400 lbs, depending on axle. This is the main reason I bought this travel trailer, was the lighter weight. GCWR is 13k or 14k.

I drive a half-ton Silverado. My trailer ready to camp is 5,000 pounds. My advice when the questions is asked on truck forums-"What trailer should I buy"?, I tell them not to exceed 4,500 pounds dry.(For half ton trucks) And there are PLENTY of trailers one can choose from. Your trailer is heavier than I would want given all the information you have shared. Your payload is probably around 1,400 pounds-and your tongue weight is half that. NOT GREAT numbers. My Silverado's payload is 1,444 pounds-there isn't any way yours is greater.

And I tow over 8,000 foot mountain passes in the "Great West" on a regular basis.

You are better off to get a lighter trailer and keep the vehicle you have. I know it's not what you want to hear.

Last edited:
Just curious how you verified the tongue weight ? Truck scale or Brochure ?

How much longer does it take to get to your destination going 45 on those steep grades vs in a normal car? An hour? How many times a year do you camp?

Are you willing to put up with feeding, registering, insuring, and maintaining a 3/4 ton daily driver to save this number of hours? I get it, it's embarrassing to be in the slow lane, but so are a bunch of other vehicles. Noone's going to pass you and say, oh, that's Fitz and his slow rig.

I assume the trailer has decent brakes that are up for the task-- as you say it goes fine.

I have never seen a 747 with engines mounted on the same nacelle, what is this unicorn?

Yes Boeing 747 G-BDXJ. Kind of the same engine design as the very popular B-52 Stratofortress we used to see overseas during the cold war.
6k lb travel trailer with a tongue load of 600 lbs using my 2003 Suburban 1500

You are really pushing the limits on a half ton with that kind of weight. Serious money involved by the time you add in 4.10 gears, overload springs, and upgraded brakes. Even then as preciously stated god forbid you are involved in a collision.

Back