Tow truck company sues oil filter company

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears the filter company denied the claim and accused the customer of misuse.
Typical response by a filter company when it comes time to honor a warranty.
The difference here from the cummins case is the small towing company didn't have millions to spend. Cummins/dodge was nobody for fram to mess with. Fram forked over the expenses in that case.

Really? You're resurrecting this old story? Your link doesn't even work. This is as bad as mentioning Tearolator in every thread!

38.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2605434/1

Another Fram hate ploy ... go find years old threads and keep the hate train rolling. Classic trollism.
crazy.gif

As pointed out in that thread, oil filters typically don't crack of spit open for no reason. Most likely the oil pump's pressure relief valve was faulty and caused the can to over pressurize.

16. Examination of the motor and oil filter revealed that the filter case and/or filter had cracked and/or split.

Better start warning people about tearing oil filters too then. What's that ... it's not a brand you hate so you're not into that? OK, I get it.

Fram didn't honor their warranty and fix his engine because their analysis probably concluded there was an over pressure condition caused by his engine's oil pressure relief valve being faulty, or some other circumstances that would have made it crack during use, like causing damage to the can while installing the filter.

Here's a disintegrated filter causing engine destruction from late 2013 again vet recent.

Critial warning re fram filters
We recently had one of our Fortins Engines fail due to low oil pressure. Working with the customer we determined that the root cause of the failure was a new FRAM oil filter that had internally disintegrated and plugged off its ability to pass oil through it thus starving the bearings for oil. Needless to say the engine did not live long without oil pressure.

On the upside the customer will be getting a new engine, at no cost to them but at considerable aggravation at having to re and re the engine. Going forward he will no longer use FRAM filters.

For our part all future engines will be shipped with a LARGE note stating that the use of any filter other than Lubrifiner or K&N brand filters will void the warranty.

In researching this failure we have become aware that FRAM has in the recent past shipped their manufacturing off shore and it is these off shore products that are causing the issue.

Our advice generally would be to discontinue the use of FRAM oil filters on any engine that you place a value on keeping it alive.

Call me on our toll free at 866 853-5835 If you would like to discuss this in person.
Al Beix
www.westerncanadacobras.com
www.specialtycarpartscanada.com
Toll Free 866 853-5835
E-mail - [email protected]

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Better start warning people about tearing oil filters too then. What's that ... it's not a brand you hate so you're not into that? OK, I get it.

There are just as many people pointing out that brand's faults, and in this thread already!

Originally Posted By: dishdude

There are just as many people pointing out that brand's faults, and in this thread already!

That wasn't the point.

Then why did you mention tearing filters? The two of you need to get a beer!
11.gif

I'm very Leary of all my filters and will continue to cut open the spin one when done.
I have one vehicle that uses cartridges so those are easy to inspect.
Tearing is very dissapointing and if I am ever to discover one I will take appropriate action. Until I find a tear I'll remain calm since the tearing hasn't seemed to really cause damage. My applications aren't known to tear either.
Bit I can't risk using a filter that's Benn known to deteriorate and destroy engines. Especially when the filter manufacturer denies it and tries to shift blame. That's totally unacceptable and should not be tolerated.

Then why did you mention tearing filters?

Better go back and read it again ... pretty obvious.

You're allowed to slam "Tearolators" and no one is allowed to say anything about Fram. Got it.

You're allowed to slam "Tearolators" and no one is allowed to say anything about Fram. Got it.

Maybe when I dig up 5 to 15 year old cases you can make that comment and it might be valid. You think what happened 15 years ago (like SilverC6 and his Cummings card) with an oil filter is still going on today? Anyone who digs up stuff like that is on a mission. That's the point. Talk about CURRENT stuff that's going on NOW ... that makes more sense.

And BTW, you were the first to mention Tearolator here ... and now you're getting on me for saying something about it, and not even in the same context?

Puro tearing issues is a matter of its own. Another filters issues known to be severe needs to be dealt with according to it's own discrepancies. This thread isn't meant to compare to different manufacturers products nor should outplayed be a subject matter. Puro is the subject of many threads already.

Maybe when I dig up 5 to 15 year old cases you can make that comment and it might be valid. You think what happened 15 years ago (like SilverC6 and his Cummings card) with an oil filter is still going on today? Anyone who digs up stuff like that is on a mission. That's the point. Talk about CURRENT stuff that's going on NOW ... that makes more sense.

And BTW, you were the first to mention Tearolator here ... and now you're getting on me for saying something about it, and not even in the same context?
2012 and late 2013 are not 5to 15 years ago.

Well, in the lawsuit documentation it says this:

14. On or about January 17, 2010, while the Dodge was in operation on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the Dodge lost oil pressure; the operator pulled to the side of the road; shut off the engine; and called for assistance.

So it will be 6 years in Jan when this incident occurred. Go to the link given earlier in the thread, then see the link I posted there. It shows the actual lawsuit document.

So what was the outcome? I see they requested a jury trial...now this is one time I would look forward to jury duty!

Well we need to know what's been done to fix these issues. Even still I couldn't bring myself to ever trust this company after learning what I have and seeing that they leave the consumer high and dry by refusing to take responsibility or even admit fault. Even worse, they blame the customers. Not a business I find appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back