Touring Cummins Facilities

Some of you know that I work for Cummins Filtration...this week I had the opportunity to travel up to Columbus and Seymour, Indiana for some plant tours. I had toured the Cummins Engine Plant (CEP) in Columbus during my onboarding week almost ten years ago, but I had not been to several of the other facilities up there. On Wednesday I visited Cummins Fuel Systems facility in Columbus and then drove down to Seymour Engine Plant after lunch to watch where they manufacture several models of Cummins High-Horsepower (HHP) engines...the QSK19, QST30 and QSK95. Lots and lots of Fleetguard filters on not only the engines being produced, but on the engines in all of the test cells and labs we checked out. When you buy a $300,000 engine, you better believe it comes with a Fleetguard filter on it!

Then yesterday, I had the chance to tour the Cummins Heritage Collection in Columbus and then wrapped up with a personal tour of the Cummins Mid-Range Engine Plant where they build the B6.7L engine specifically for Chrylser/FCA/Stellantis to go into the RAM truck...they've been building engines for the Dodge Ram/RAM since 1992...pretty cool.

When I graduated from high school, I had a good friend become an independent trucker. His Dad took a second mortgage against his house and helped him buy a new truck. I remember at the time that the manufacturer told him that he had a choice of 3 different engines; Caterpillar, Cummins, and Detroit. He chose the Cummins. I think he did his research and found that many people recommended that particular model at the time over the other 2.

Now I don't follow the industry, but if memory serves me correctly, I think Caterpillar has either scaled back or gotten out of the OTR market altogether. Detroit is obviously still around, but no longer makes the infamous 2 stroke diesels that they were known for. The moral here is that Cummins seems to be kind of "standard choice" for the OTR market. Like I said, I am not an expert on this industry, but I would welcome any further education from other BITOG members.

Do they have any displays about the CDC engines?
I assume you're talking about these engines?

Pic 0712

1DEC8881-8275-43CB-8CEC-251CC1265B36.gif

On Pic 0714 what are all those filters for?
I assume the 4 together are for oil and the one in front fuel? What are the smaller ones for? Coolant? Power steering?

I assume you're talking about these engines?

Yep. The way I understood it was that Cummins didn’t make smaller Diesel engines around that time. The 5.9 6BT/4BT were originally a tractor engine.

On Pic 0714 what are all those filters for?
I assume the 4 together are for oil and the one in front fuel? What are the smaller ones for? Coolant? Power steering?
Correct, the four together are lube filters...the big one toward the front is a fuel water separator. The two next two each other coolant/water filters. Not entirely sure about the small one down by itself. The stage 2 fuel filters would be around on the other side.

I’m all too familiar with the sound of an L10/ISL/L9 and M11/ISM in slide 15 - all the buses around here went Cummins in 1997-1998 as the Bay Area transit agencies switched to the M11/L10 after being let down with the Detroit S50.

And cool that Cummins makes their own fuel systems - but weren’t they using Bosch injection pumps on the B/C engines?

I’m all too familiar with the sound of an L10/ISL/L9 and M11/ISM in slide 15 - all the buses around here went Cummins in 1997-1998 as the Bay Area transit agencies switched to the M11/L10 after being let down with the Detroit S50.

And cool that Cummins makes their own fuel systems - but weren’t they using Bosch injection pumps on the B/C engines?
Possible that they were. I'm not super familiar with all of the history there. I was amazed at the volume of legacy injectors we still make for older engines. I guess there are still a ton of lagging-emissions applications around the world in operation.

Back