Total Rubia TIR 8900 Vs 9900

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm if there are synthetic and semi synthetic versions of the Rubia 8900 oil?

I was under impression it's fully synthetic only. But Google seems to show both semi and fully synth articles.

Can someone help me breakdown the 8900 please? I've got access to cheap 10w 30 8900.

I've done some reading regarding the TBN and HTHS. Seem favourable enough. Meets main OEM specs. So must be decent base stock oil?

It's for a passenger car, 3.0 turbo diesel running about double factory power, ~500bhp ish, that gets run hard daily. But short OCI, typically 3-4000 miles. No dpf to worry about.

Redline about 5500rpm. No oil cooler but there's no track abuse or vmax runs so I'm not too concerned about excessive oil temps or oil breaking down prematurely. Generally a nice efficient setup.

8900 is 10w 30. I have been using the 9900 which is the 5w30 version and the ideal weight for this engine. Seems good so far. Engine spotless when I changed timing chains.

Am I right in assuming 10w-30 will be thicker until up to operating temps? So 10w will be ok to use (British climate)?
I read something about 10w oil being same viscosity at 0c as 5w at like -10c or thereabouts. So whilst ambients don't get too cold, maybe 10w-30 won't be ideal where most wear occurs during cold start?

Sorry for the newbie ramblings. Appreciate any input to help. Thank you!

There is less exposure to Total oil on here, since they don’t have a huge presence in the USA.

Can you link to the product data sheets? Have you contacted Total and asked?

Since you’re running double design power, what are the weakest links you’re concerned with?

Folks in the US running double or more power from their diesels still generally run the 15w-40/5w-40 HDEOs.

Are you concerned with soot loading given the extra fuel and power?

There is less exposure to Total oil on here, since they don’t have a huge presence in the USA.

Can you link to the product data sheets? Have you contacted Total and asked?

Since you’re running double design power, what are the weakest links you’re concerned with?

Folks in the US running double or more power from their diesels still generally run the 15w-40/5w-40 HDEOs.

Are you concerned with soot loading given the extra fuel and power?
Hi there, thanks for the reply!

Sure, linked below. The datasheet mentions synthetic. But various resellers online advertising as semi synthetic.

Perhaps it's some sort of marketing ploy to call it synthetic and let people assume it's fully synth.

And yes, I'm just being overly cautious and considering stuff that I don't understand well to be better informed. The primary driving force is the ability to have this oil for minimal cost but I don't want to use if it's not suitable.

The chain on these engines are known to snap, no one really knows why. Speculated to be long OCI specified by OEM, fuel dilution during dpf regen, some sort of contribution from the aluminium engine block causing increased harmonics (the iron block variant is almost uneffected, same chain setup).

Mine have been renewed, though. My money is on long OCI and dilution causing reduced lubricity. But who knows.

I'm not sure how much the soot loading will influence but I DO make it run very rich pre spool to light up the turbo up quicker (decent sized JD vgt turbo). Quite clean AFR at top end to keep egt reasonable.

I also rev out 10% above stock rpm limit. I'm not sure this is much consideration regarding the oil choice context, I think that's more an issue for connecting bolts/piston speeds and my conrods staying in tact :D but it's on my mind all the same as surely increases shear on oil film?

Main missunderstandings/concerns were that of;

1) cold start lubrication (flow) and pumpability (we get typically 0 to 5celcius in winter, sometimes down to minus, "summer" can range to 5-7c at night sometimes and above) of using 10w-30 grade oil.

(OEM specifies 5w30 or 5w-40).

2) semi (I have read term blend used here and conventional for mineral) Vs fully synthetic properties regarding engine health

- I've since understood that fully synthetic likely maintains better oil film for first startup. And likely less viscosity index improver that could mean a lower viscosity at less than operating temps for same multi grade mineral and semi.

Basically, I know there are a lot of knowledge, smart people here and I would welcome discussion on various topics mentioned above to edcuate myself and feel more reassured. I like nerdy matters like the nitty gritty on oil choice.

This link says semi-synth; (data sheet available via pdf)

I cant find the link where I got the other data sheet screenshot from. But I've just noticed they list different manufacturer approval. The oil I have is the one listed under "semi synthetic".

Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211228-051309_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211228-051309_Drive.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20211228-051330_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211228-051330_Gallery.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 25
First of all, welcome to bitog! Sorry to say that I won't be able to help you out very much but I would like to express my surprise at the lack of attention your query is receiving. I am a little embarrassed because it seems like your expectations of this board are high and your question is quite reasonable, not at all like some newbies. I'm not a diesel guy at all but I would choose the 10w30 which should not be a problem at all in the UK as far as ambient starting temps go. The 10w30 will also of course use less VII 's. Keep the oci's relatively short and use a decent quality oil filter. I don't believe you will need a fancy engine oil considering the change intervals you are contemplating. Total is a respectable brand name oil and for what it's worth my opinion would be to use the 10w30. Good luck!

Back