Total Quartz oil

In my 2021 Kia Soul LX 2.0 (which falls under the infamous piston ring recall) I’ve been using Castrol GTX synthetic oil, 5w20 flavor. Zero consumption so far but with only 14k miles on it that doesn’t mean much, but I digress. While buying a filter at the local Kia store they had Total Quartz oil on sale with a decent price. Being as the engine compartment has a sticker indicating Kia recommends TQ oil I decided WHT, why not give it a try? After checking the specs online my opinion is it’s nothing special, about on par with what I have been using. I have no concerns using it but just for fun what does everyone here think of this oil.
B2F22060-95BF-4D50-9FAA-3374A0AAC83A.jpeg
845ADD95-6C24-4FDE-8D5E-17F5AA4EF597.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you see in my sig, I've been using Total quartz for a long time.

It's the name of their full saps line and has been for a long time.

Think it's good oil. Had my Soul changed at dealer for first 100k of its life while it was under factory warranty.That's what they always put in it. It now has 160k on it. Still runs great and never used any oil between changes. Have no idea if it was their 900 flavor but it was total quartz

Thanks guys, good to know. The car is spec’d for 5w20 and going into winter in the Az mountains it’s gets cold enough to warrant using this weight. After this run might go to Mobil 1 5w30 for the summer. Kia does give some latitude on the weights allowed.

Thanks guys, good to know. The car is spec’d for 5w20 and going into winter in the Az mountains it’s gets cold enough to warrant using this weight. After this run might go to Mobil 1 5w30 for the summer. Kia does give some latitude on the weights allowed.
Almost any 5w-xx will give the same results and work in your Winter climate.

i know it isn't popular there but it is here and you can find it test it , sometimes its very cheap besides good.

I saw it at Advanced behind the counter $$$. Can’t imagine they sell much of it. $$$ Total was supplying Mazda dealers with bulk oil for a time. I don’t know if they still do. My 2018 manual recommends Castrol. I let my dealer do the first change. I got a VALUE filter and they overfilled it. Maybe they thought the extra oil made up for the GYPO filter.

It's cheap and easily available in many European countries, and have many variants with the usual Euro approval. Not much else to say about it.

I used my last bottle this year. Local parts store had them on clearance a few years ago and no issues after using 6-7 jugs vs. other synthetics like Supertech or PP. I am not super loyal to one brand over other so I buy whatever is on sale for cheap.

Used a bunch of Total Oil in the Saabs.
Promotionally priced on a parts site it was.
The colorful, bold yet delicate Total logo has been on the Phillies' rightfield wall.
Don't know if it's there this season.

Back