Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5w40 - Subaru FA20 (Scion FR-S) 4297km

Ran this oil for 6 months this summer. Like the last run with the Pennzoil Euro 5w40, viscosity was a bit low for a 40w according to Blackstone. I also installed a performance intake from Injen a few weeks into the OCI. Did it gain any power? Who knows, who cares. I just wanted the noise. It's fun how you can play around with the engine noise depending how hard you press on the throttle. Thankfully the filter seems to be doing it's job.

BCIWA7sh.png

Don't see a lot on Total oils here. Looks like it did just fine. Shear into the 11s seems pretty common for the 5w40/0w40 Euro oils in most applications, the Shell product is lower than most but it also appears to be among the thinnest new. Thanks for posting.

Ran this oil for 6 months this summer. Like the last run with the Pennzoil Euro 5w40, viscosity was a bit low for a 40w according to Blackstone. I also installed a performance intake from Injen a few weeks into the OCI. Did it gain any power? Who knows, who cares. I just wanted the noise. It's fun how you can play around with the engine noise depending how hard you press on the throttle. Thankfully the filter seems to be doing it's job.

BCIWA7sh.png

Numbers ok. Very thick vis. Check your oil fill cap for grade. You could try a thick 30 wt. .02

Don't see a lot on Total oils here. Looks like it did just fine. Shear into the 11s seems pretty common for the 5w40/0w40 Euro oils in most applications, the Shell product is lower than most but it also appears to be among the thinnest new. Thanks for posting.
That's actually one of the reasons I picked the oil up in the first place. I thought it'd be fun to try out and provide a bit of data on a not so common oil. I'm not worried about the shearing as that just happens to be a thing with these oils like you said.

Numbers ok. Very thick vis. Check your oil fill cap for grade. You could try a thick 30 wt. .02
Oil cap says 0w20. Subaru Japan recommends a euro 40w oil for harder driving, so that's why I use it. I did run a thick 30w oil like you suggested (Castrol 0w30) and it worked well too, but I've settled on 5w40/0w40 as their availability in 5L/5qt jugs is higher

As a previous owner of an FRS, with some track time, these engines love w40 oils, or thicker. I beat the hell out of mine with very good UOA results. Keep doing what you're doing, and have fun with it.

Where do you see very thick viscosity? 🧐 It literally sheared out of the original spec and is now a thick 30 grade, just as you suggested he try next. 🤦🏻‍♂️

OP, I like your plan to stick with the 0/5w40 oil. The engine seems to like it. 👍🏼

Where do you see very thick viscosity? 🧐 It literally sheared out of the original spec and is now a thick 30 grade, just as you suggested he try next. 🤦🏻‍♂️

OP, I like your plan to stick with the 0/5w40 oil. The engine seems to like it. 👍🏼
Uh, oil vis was thick for a 0w20 oil cap spec........Right?

Uh, oil vis was thick for a 0w20 oil cap spec........Right?
Well that depends on the application IMO. When the FR-S/BRZ first came out, I read comments from engine builders that the bearing clearances absolutely did not allow anything thicker than a 20 grade. This was also what was advised to Subaru techs during training.

In just a short time, there were quite a few bearing failures from hard driven cars that were seeing some track time (ft86club.com). I do not recall if there were failures on street driven cars. Meanwhile, from day one Subaru Japan recommended Euro 0W-30 and allows up to 5W-40 on hard driven cars. So yes, it is two grades thicker than what's on the cap but not too thick depending on the application and what Subaru Japan recommends.

Last edited:
Well that depends on the application IMO. When the FR-S/BRZ first came out, I read comments from engine builders that the bearing clearances absolutely did not allow anything thicker than a 20 grade. This was also what was advised to Subaru techs during training.

In just a short time, there were quite a few bearing failures from hard driven cars that were seeing some track time (ft86club.com). I do not recall if there were failures on street driven cars. Meanwhile, from day one Subaru Japan recommended Euro 0W-30 and allows up to 5W-40 on hard driven cars. So yes, it is two grades thicker than what's on the cap but not too thick depending on the application and what Subaru Japan recommends.
Hopefully now you understand how that cannot be possible.

Agree for the op's app the 40 weight worked great. I was just observing that the 11.05 vis after 4700 miles was a little thick for what I presumed to be a 0w-20 oil spec.

Back