Total Maintenance on a Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I just bought a 1997 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L automatic almost a month ago. I've put about 1600 miles on it in 3 1/2 weeks and it's been great. It now has 187k miles.

The previous owner had the following done in May of 2013 at 176k miles at Brake Masters:
Transmission flush
Coolant flush
New serpentine belts
New radiator hoses
New power steering pump
4 new Munroe Quick Struts
Wheel alignment
Total cost for him for this: $2200 (Must not have been too smart to pay so much on it, but he needed a truck and sold this)
Front brakes done before this visit at Brake Masters

I did when I bought it within the past 1600 miles:
Oil change with Mobil Super HM 5w30 & a Wix filter
New valve cover gasket (looked pretty clean underneath)
PCV Valve & Grommet
Timing belt & tensioner & idler pulley
Water pump & thermostat
Spark plugs & wires
LR wheel bearing hub assembly

On the to do list:
All new inner and outer tie rods, then take it for an alignment
Rear control arm bushings
Oil pan gasket at next oil change (slow drip)

There's a clunking noise in the rear at lower speeds and over bumps, but not on the highway. I raised up both tires in the rear and checked for play. LR had play at 3 and 9 o' clock and I assumed wheel bearing. Over $70 later, that didn't fix the problem, though the old one looked pretty bad and didn't turn that great by hand so I guess it was due. After looking underneath while tire is wiggled at 3 and 9 o'clock I can see the control arm bushings wiggle.

Front has a little clunking noise over some bumps occasionally but I can see play in the inner tie rods, already bought but just waiting to install, everything else looks good as farm as suspension.

What else should I do to this car? I need it to be reliable (who doesn't need their car to be? Haha) and I've been getting decent mpg as well. Air filter looks pretty good and I don't know anything about the fuel filter, except from reading on forums it isn't fun to change. The only other quirks this car is, is the wiper delay function doesn't work, they just constantly wipe in the delay setting and when you turn the wipers off, they just stop wherever and don't park at the bottom. Also the RR door won't open from the inside at all. Changing the child lock won't make a difference. Opens outside just fine.

Check the motor mounts. A lot of times you will hear a noise and think it is a suspension issue, when in fact it is the motor mount.

Check to make sure that the strut rod center nut is torqued correctly. Some of those "quick struts" are not always properly assembled.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I think 97 has a serviceable fuel filter near the firewall under by the airbox.

Do not attempt to change this fuel filter unless you absolutely have to. They usually last the life of the vehicle - it is very rare for these filters to clog/fail. If you do some research on the Toyota Camry/Avalon forums you will see why I make this suggestion. It is virtually impossible to remove the old filter without destroying the tubing connections.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a keeper in the making
smile.gif

If the cylinder head was clean when you changed the gasket, the engine is probably in good shape. Not all those engines sludged; they were just more prone to than others, and yours doesn't seem prone to.

If you have any doubts you could add a round of Kreen or MMO if so inclined but if it were mine I'd just use the PU as planned. Using PU will just keep things going well, and it's a pretty stout cleaner in it's own right. With your kind of driving, 7500 miles would be easy and very conservative.

Re the RR door not opening, there should be a cable or flexible rod inside that allows the inside door handle to activate the locking mechanism. It may be broken. I haven't replaced one on a Camry but I'll bet you can find some You Tube info about how to do it.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I think 97 has a serviceable fuel filter near the firewall under by the airbox.

Correct. Not difficult to get at. At least on my 95 2.2 maybe the 97 is different?? Did you change wires and cap? Cheap on our cars.

Watch the gas filler neck they tens to rust.

Last edited:
That gen of Camry and Avalon had Rear Shock/Strut "MOUNTS" that would clunk over bumps. Event though all 4 shocks/struts were changed out, were the Rear shock mounts changed as well...Not to worry!

I used to do ATF & Diff(DEXIII/Merc) changes on my SIL/BIL all the time. Quite easy! Overall they're quite an easy vehicle to work on.

As long as the engine is sludge free, I'd still keep with reasonable OCI even with the PU/Wix. NO 10K-15K mile OCI's...Oh IDK, 7500-8000 ???
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back