Total loss vs keeping car and cash

So I received an offer
They get the car for 4700 or I keep it and get 3600.

I drive for Uber to keep busy and would go nuts without doing it.
they have a lot of fine print in their contract no salvage titles no rebuilt cars, no visible damage

The adjuster said it would not be marked as a salvage title until I sold the car.
Would Uber know from a car fax?

Also... ask for a bit more? I thought it was a pretty good offer but do they usually have a little more to give and if so how much

Why would uber run a car fax on an existing driver? Lay low.

Read the paperwork from the insurance, it could be a "release of liability" or something where you don't actually buy and sell the car from them.

Knowing what state you're in might matter too. Is this an e-title or a paper one?

Read the paperwork from the insurance, it could be a "release of liability" or something where you don't actually buy and sell the car from them.

Knowing what state you're in might matter too. Is this an e-title or a paper one?
Paper

Are you insured through Uber when driving for them? If so, I would be concerned that driving a salvage title car contrary to their agreements might give them an out if you get in a wreck. I wouldn't want the liability for a paying passenger's injuries to fall on my shoulders.

Are you insured through Uber when driving for them? If so, I would be concerned that driving a salvage title car contrary to their agreements might give them an out if you get in a wreck. I wouldn't want the liability for a paying passenger's injuries to fall on my shoulders.
Yes they insure you on a trip.
But in reality I’m old and I don’t have any assets anymore to sue me for. Kids got it.

My dad is a retired attorney who had his own general practice. He retired a multi millionaire because of stupid people.
Your VIN number is on file electronically. It wouldn't surprise me if Uber has a program that checks VIN numbers every so often.
So everything could seem fine and dandy tell you get a notice your terminated as a contractor and you forever lose your working privilege
with Uber. Then you try to switch to Lyft and find out they share certain common intrest nformation between each other and they don't want you either.

Vehicle Requirements​

All vehicles being used for rides on the Uber app must meet the following requirements:

- must have 4 doors and be able to transport a minimum of 4 passengers
- vehicle model must be 15 years old or newer
- title cannot be salvaged, reconstructed, or rebuilt
- rental vehicles - except those from an approved Uber lender - are not allowed
- cannot have any cosmetic damage, missing pieces, commercial branding or taxi paint jobs
Interesting they allow cars 15 years old.

Can your car be repaired correctly for the $3600 if you keep it? I think I'm glad to never be in a position to need to use Uber.

The simple answer. Take the money. Get a job that doesn't cost you money to work. You can make more money working at McDonalds. They always need "more mature people" who can work in the middle of the day when the kids can't.

You have a fallacy in your argument. Even if you are sued and have no assets you need legal counsel. Therefore you lose what ever the Attorney costs. People sue just to make another's life miserable. Sometimes assets have very little to do with it.

Can your car be repaired correctly for the $3600 if you keep it? I think I'm glad to never be in a position to need to use Uber.
😂
I’ve used Uber a lot in Las Vegas where it’s not worth renting a car and it makes it real nice
Cabs here anyhow
He buys 5 totaled Dodge vans at auction and makes 2 or 3 cabs

The frame is not bent....quarter is bent a tiny amount
Trunk lid gone but functions
Seems like 1000
Bondo on the q
Used trunk.. The junkyard has three for $55
Bumper cover
Paint

Uber is great! Was Ubering in Vegas out to Aliante from the Strip and the CEL was on in the Jeep that picked me up. About 3 miles from Aliante the Jeep went into jog mode. The driver didn't know what was going on and started to panic. I had to explain to him what it was. The Uber drivers have all been great except one guy that was kinda scary. But I've had far more scary guys as taxi drivers.

To the OP, $1100 is not enough money for me to keep it and try to fix on my own and worry about the salvage title.

Take the money and run. Salvage titles have other issues too like if there's any manufacturer's warranty left like emissions or any extended warranty. Those are all void on salvage titles but they still have to fix recalls. For $1100, just find a newer car with lower mileage that's not salvage. You could rent out your car through Turo also, but they also don't allow salvage.

Last edited:
Uber is great! Was Ubering in Vegas out to Aliante from the Strip and the CEL was on in the Jeep that picked me up. About 3 miles from Aliante the Jeep went into jog mode. The driver didn't know what was going on and started to panic. I had to explain to him what it was. The Uber drivers have all been great except one guy that was kinda scary. But I've had far more scary guys as taxi drivers.

To the OP, $1100 is not enough money for me to keep it and try to fix on my own and worry about the salvage title.
It’s close I’m thinking I can pull 2,000 out of equity and drive it till it blows
I just don’t even know if two grand is worth it

The simple answer. Take the money. Get a job that doesn't cost you money to work. You can make more money working at McDonalds. They always need "more mature people" who can work in the middle of the day when the kids can't.

You have a fallacy in your argument. Even if you are sued and have no assets you need legal counsel. Therefore you lose what ever the Attorney costs. People sue just to make another's life miserable. Sometimes assets have very little to do with it.
If you are sued and have no assets, you still have auto insurance which will still cover the legal costs of the lawsuit up to the limits of the policy.

I think that's surprising too, I remember it being less the last time I looked a while back, maybe 7 or 10 years old, but I could be remembering wrong.

They probably have to push the age out that far just to keep enough drivers available.

I think that's surprising too, I remember it being less the last time I looked a while back, maybe 7 or 10 years old, but I could be remembering wrong.

They probably have to push the age out that far just to keep enough drivers available.
Many big cities it’s 10
Rural type areas small cities it’s 15
Could be income demographics

Back