Total loss vs keeping car and cash

Take the money. Your pictures were too close to get a total picture but that quarter is not going to look right if you put some bondo on it. It’s got a lot going on and the bondo would probably make it looks worse. Either keep the car and drive it into the ground as-is and get something else to drive Uber in or let the insurance company have it and get more money.

So I received an offer
They get the car for 4700 or I keep it and get 3600.
If that's your 08 Sonata, $4700 is the exact NADA Retail book value for the car with 139,000 miles as I said it would be in your original post. That is a dream price that any private owner would love to get if they were selling the car. That this offer just falls in your lap, consider yourself fortunate as most insurance companies would lowball you on the price. You would have to be crazy to pass it up. With those miles, that engine is ready for timing chain issues which are an engine out job.

Last edited:
If that's your 08 Sonata, $4700 is the exact NADA Retail book value for the car with 139,000 miles as I said it would be in your original post. That is a dream price than any private owner would love to get if they were selling the car. That this offer just falls in your lap, consider yourself fortunate as most insurance companies would lowball you on the price. You would have to be crazy to pass it up. With those miles, that engine is ready for timing chain issues which are an engine out job.
Thanks

Don't forget to add in the tax, registration and title/dealer fees for your 'hypothetical' replacement car. If NADA is exactly what they are offering, they are shorting you.

I'll take exception to the post above. I don't think you can find a replacement car for what they offer.

Just an FYI, looking locally for a car like yours, with no accidents, I could not find one for less than $6K asking price. Most were between 6 and 7. Knowing local dealers, there is no way you'd get out the door for $4700.

Last edited:
Back