Total Grip 3593A

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post, though I have been reading this site for over a year. I cut open the Advance Auto filter I took off my fathers 2002 Hyundai Elantra the other day. This filter had been on for approx.
 -

-

Here is what I found on exam of the filter element.
 -

-

The pleats on both sides of the seam had torn at the filter ends. My feeling is that it tore seconday to using 10-30 in the cold winter here in upstate NY. Also the mileage was approx 6k miles using dino oil.

Just thought this would be interesting to people. I will post pics of the filters that I pulled off my Neon, my stepsons Neon and my wives Saab 900 turbo that all use 3416 filters.

Scott

shocked.gif
I just installed this same filter on my festiva. I'm also using 10w-30, although it doesn't get as cold here in the midwest. I'll have to look at mine after the next change. Eric

Not trying to dissuade you from what you are doing, but have you looked into the 7317? I had looked at running the 3593a on my bike, but it was too fat. the 7317 seems to be a bit bigger than the 3593A, and I have been impressed with it as a filter. Both the Supertech and Pureone have had solid construction. The AA7317 looks and feels as solid as the PureOne i used. I don't know about the winter temps in your part of 10-30, but i figure that you were pushing some molasses through that filter

I'd say the filter rupture is do to 6,000 miles on dino. At least with pre GF-4 speced oils, they deplete their ability to maintain cold weather performance. One of the more strict components of GF-4 is the ability to maintain cold weather properties over the life of the oil. I've cut open Purolators that have been run through winter, down to 0F with 10w-30, and the filters were fine.

Looks like another incidence of a dome-end bypass not protecting the filter when the going got tough...
Sounds like the puro-boys are NOT immune to the stress syndrome ,,,we may have to start keeping a tally-sheet!
It seems the long oci theory may be showing some stress cracks here lately.and the new filter every other oil change thing may be all wet too..maybe the oils can go longer than some of the filters can..I wonder if the vehicle mfgrs are gonna start prohibiting certain types of filters for their advertised new improved long OCI's???

Asisensei..
Did you call Advance or Purolator and tell them about your finding? Give them an opportunity to show some customer service?

quote:

Originally posted by ZR2RANDO:
snip....

Asisensei..
Did you call Advance or Purolator and tell them about your finding? Give them an opportunity to show some customer service?

Says right on it satisfaction guaranteed.

I did not call on the satisfaction guarantee. In fact, didn't even think of it. The Filter went out today with the trash prior to me reading this. I wonder what they would have said?

I agree, 10-30 was probably too thick, but it is what my dad had purchased and what I used. The temps this winter got to -26F this year.

I used the 7317 once on this car. I looked at the size of the filter and felt that it was way too small. It was the smallest filter I have ever seen on a car by far.

Thank for the comments everyone. Like I said, I wanted everyone to see what I found, giving back to the group as I have been sucking info for the last year.

scott

I think we'd all like to see what they say. You've got the pictures, worth a try, just call, send'em the pics and see what they say.
ANY company needs to see any problems with the product..they can't fix things unless people let them know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back