Torque Sticks... Pros & Cons ??

I've seen these things, and have been tempted to buy a set. This video shows them being used, and being compared to a torque wrench accuracy wise. But it doesn't explain how they work. How does, what appears to be a solid steel extension, limit torque?

His video presentation isn't very scientific, but it does show real world application. What say you guys who have used them? Do you like and recommend them, or no?

I picked up a set a few years ago thinking they would be handy. They did work as advertised. I use them to get me to maybe 75% of my desired torque and then use a torque wrench.

What I’ve found over time however is once you get to know you electric impacts and their settings I can do this without the sticks so I stopped getting them out. These days I pretty much never use them.

Unless you think you will trust these enough to not use a torque wrench then these are kind a waste of money.

I wouldn’t buy them again.

As for how they work, some rotational torque is absorbed by the extension, how much depends on the diameter of the extension. They would only be accurate on rge one impact they were designed for so the mass of the hammer and IPM of different impact guns will give different results So keep that in mind.

I have a suspicion they are made from some kind of spring steel but someone smarter then me can comment on that.

I've got a set of sticks from Meyer's Tire Supply that I've used. They get close enough, but still have to use the torque wrench. I've found using my 1/2" stubby air impact setting gets it closer (84ish ft/lb for the Taco) than the sticks. The sticks are now collecting dust.

As for how they work, some rotational torque is absorbed by the extension, how much depends on the diameter of the extension. They would only be accurate on rge one impact they were designed for so the mass of the hammer and IPM of different impact guns will give different results So keep that in mind.

I have a suspicion they are made from some kind of spring steel but someone smarter then me can comment on that.

This article at bangshift and linked video make it much clearer how they work.

https://bangshift.com/general-news/...-the-truth-behind-the-tire-shops-best-friend/

How do torque sticks signal that it's time to stop turning the wrench?
They don't click.

See the video above. They simply won’t torque any tighter so the attached socket stops advancing.

For use with an impact wrench. I use an 80 lb torques stick and stop at 3 to 5 hammers then follow up with a torque wrench for the last 10+ foot lbs.

So no different at all than using them vs. an impact set lower and finishing by hand. ;)

I think it’s more about proper sequencing while securing lug nuts then finishing with a torque wrench. No warped rotors this way. The trouble is our tire stores, dealerships, and repair shops in general are in the mode of finishing quickly so they really don’t care. A comeback because of warped rotors is a great way to ensure more brake work. I’ve had torque sticks used once at Discount Tire. Got home and the actual torque on the lug nuts weren’t anywhere near the manufacturer’s torque specifications. At least it wasn’t a warped rotor situation. Somewhere between loose and stripped is what they’re after…

They absorb the torque and the socket stops turning TO A DEGREE.
The user can easily keep on hammering with a machine wrench.

Seems to me the simple exercise of care and use of a standard torque wrench is all one needs.

I've gotten so jaded over time I'd be willing to bet that the colorful torque sticks were invented for "tire shop show".

I can't imagine why anyone would want one of these for home use.
I can see their use for preventing over torquing when using a impact gun to install lug nuts or other fasteners. A sort of "safety valve" that prevents over torquing.

You can select a stick that's 10 or so pounds under your desired torque, then finish with a torque wrench. I would never trust a tire shop to correctly torque lug nuts. Using one of these sticks would make loosening and retorquing a faster and easier process.

I have a set in my trailer pulling trucks. When I get a flat on a trailer, I want to replace it fast, especially if I'm not parked in the best location. I can use the torque stick, I know it's close enough, and I'll check it with a torque wrench when I get home.

Sure, so do I. But a torque stick on a impact gun will get you there a lot faster and safer by not risking over torquing. You're talking 20 lugs per vehicle.
If you are too lazy to do it by hand, try one of those drill attachments, then use the torque wrench.
61fXzqUp0TL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Back