Toro CCR Powerlite snowthrower won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to diagnose your problem but, it's more than just a primer issue. However, I'll try to explain how the primer works. There should be a line that comes out of the fuel tank to the primer and another line from the primer to the carb. The function of the primer is to take raw fuel from the fuel tank and dump it into the carb venturi to allow for a rich mixture of fuel to get into the engine. It sounds like your primer is in working order if it's pushing air on the carb side however, from what you say, it sounds like it's not pulling fuel out of the tank. You'll have to ensure all connections are tight, lines clear and the fuel pick up end in the fuel.

With the carb assembled and installed on the machine and it fires with starter fluid, that tells me that the carb's main jet might be blocked. As previously mentioned, you'll need to pull the main jet out of the carb and clean it. Also, the bolt that holds the float bowl on might have a couple of small holes drilled in it across the diameter of the bolt. Clean them too. Try to clean as many jets and orifices you can see with a very thin wire, WD-40 or carb cleaner and blow out with compressed air if you have it. Let us know how it goes.

Still working on it. I currently have the carb completely removed from the motor and taken apart.

What is the main jet exactly?

The bolt that holds that float bowl does have a hold drilled across the diameter. It is clear. There's also a pin in the bolt head and appears to be a very tiny hole in the tip of the bolt. What's that?

The carb assembly looks clear through the choke plate through the hole where it bolts onto the motor. I see numerous small holes around the assembly. Should I try to thread thin wire though all of them and/or use some WD-40 and spray into them?

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Still working on it. I currently have the carb completely removed from the motor and taken apart.

What is the main jet exactly?

The bolt that holds that float bowl does have a hold drilled across the diameter. It is clear. There's also a pin in the bolt head and appears to be a very tiny hole in the tip of the bolt. What's that?

The carb assembly looks clear through the choke plate through the hole where it bolts onto the motor. I see numerous small holes around the assembly. Should I try to thread thin wire though all of them and/or use some WD-40 and spray into them?

The main jet is usually right in the center bottom of the carb. It's usually a brass insert with a slot across it to allow you to screw it out with a flat screw driver. The pilot jet is often a similar but smaller insert to the side and usually visible. Anything that's brass is usually a removable part and should be cleaned. These jets meter fuel that goes on into the carb through tiny orifices and galleries. Those little holes should be cleaned as well. Feed the very thin wire into every hole you see then spray inside the holes a well as possible with WD-40. If you have compressed air follow up with that.

The tiny hole in the bolt screw should also be cleaned. Don't know what it is but clean it. Clean everything.

If you get the carb cleaned right and don't mess up the float setting, it should work perfectly.

SUCCESS!!! Took it all apart and cleaned the jets and everything by flushing WD-40 through all the holes and sticking a thin wire though them. I just got done cleaning today's snowfall off the driveway and walk.

boraticus, a special thanks to you for sticking with me.
cheers3.gif

"boraticus, a special thanks to you for sticking with me."

You're very much welcome.

I get great satisfaction knowing that I could be of assistance to someone with the desire and willingness to learn how fix their own stuff.

I'm afraid that doing our own mechanical work is a dying tradition for those not in the trade. Much of what we buy now is either too complicated to work on or so cheaply built that it cannot be repaired.

Real happy to see you've successfully repaired the carb and have your machine back in business.

Keep your fuel clean and you'll be set for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back