Toro CCR 2000 VS Toro 38583 Power Clear 221QR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a CCR 2000 and I just replaced the paddles and scrapper board..runs awesome and always starts on the first pull. My brother offer me $250.00 for it. I know the CCR 2000 came with a Suzuki motor, I was wondering who makes Toro 221QR 2 cycle motor. Also anybody have an opinion on the 221QR?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: tangojetta
I have a CCR 2000 and I just replaced the paddles and scrapper board..runs awesome and always starts on the first pull. My brother offer me $250.00 for it. I know the CCR 2000 came with a Suzuki motor, I was wondering who makes Toro 221QR 2 cycle motor. Also anybody have an opinion on the 221QR?

Thanks

The two cycle engine in the 221QR has a lineage that goes all the way back to Lawn Boy. Toro bought the manufacturing rights to the Lawn Boy engine and used a variation of it in their two cycle lawn mowers and SS snow machines. From what I've read, somewhere along the line, Briggs and Stratton assumed the manufacturing rights and named it as the R-tek.

I bought my 221QR in January but have only used it for part of a season. Seems like a nice little engine. Plenty of power for it application in the 221. If it's a tough as the two little Tecumseh two cycle engines I have, I'll be very pleased with it. Do some research, you'll find that most owners of the engine are very much pleased with it's performance and durability. Here's some specs:

Model #: 38583
Capacity/Minute Up to 1700 lbs
Throw Distance Up to 30’
Clearing Width 21”
Engine Toro R*Tek 2-Cycle
Displacement 141 cc... 5.5 HP
Starter Recoil
Fuel Capacity 1.1 Quarts
Ignition Electronic
Compression Release Standard
Governor Air-Vane

I had a CCR 2000. Shoulda kept it.

I know the Suzuki 2-strokes are highly sought after. FWIW, the R-Tek's seem to run and throw snow equally as well.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
I had a CCR 2000. Shoulda kept it.

I know the Suzuki 2-strokes are highly sought after. FWIW, the R-Tek's seem to run and throw snow equally as well.

Joel

I was searching for a used CCR 2000/3000 last year. They fetch a pretty good price.

A woman listed a used CCR2000 for something like $475.00!!!! I tried to negotiate with her but she wouldn't budge. She said she paid over $1100.00 from the local Toro gouger. I ended up buying a brand new 221QE from Home Depot for less than $600.00.

My CCR2000 will be 25 years old in January. Started on the 2nd pull last week in preparation for the October snow storm. Still runs and blows snow very well.

Wow!!! What's with the used prices on CCR2000, saw one in ok condition..Wanted $375 firm. Mine is in way better condition than the one for $375.00

Originally Posted By: tangojetta
Wow!!! What's with the used prices on CCR2000, saw one in ok condition..Wanted $375 firm. Mine is in way better condition than the one for $375.00

Possibly the owner was royally gouged like the person I was dealing with.

If one pays a lot of money for something they expect a fair return when they go to sell it used. What they fail to realize is that they paid way too much for it new and cannot expect to get top dollar for it when a person can buy a similar brand new machine for only a few buck more than what they're asking for their used one.

I know Toro are very good machines and used ones will fetch a good dollar. On the other hand, people have to realize when they're asking too much when compared to a new one.

Love that R-Tech engine. Have seen 15 blown up R-Techs in the last couple years. I asked the guy at the local shop (auth Toro Dealer) where they were made and he hemmed and hawed, but never answered. I wonder if they're bilingual (Chinese)?

15? That's marginally horrendous.

I see Toro guarantees the R*Tek to start w/in 1-2 pulls for 5yrs. I wonder if that includes blowing up w/in 1-2 pulls as well?!?

Joel

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
Love that R-Tech engine. Have seen 15 blown up R-Techs in the last couple years. I asked the guy at the local shop (auth Toro Dealer) where they were made and he hemmed and hawed, but never answered. I wonder if they're bilingual (Chinese)?

That's the first I've heard of the R-tek engine having reliability issues.

How many of them were straight gassed? From your investigations, what was the primary cause of engine failure?

I've participated in a Lawn Boy/Toro forum where there's much discussion concerning the Toro/B&S R-tek engine. Don't recall anyone reporting a rash of R-tek failures.

I've got one R-tek engine in a Toro SS machine and two Tecumseh two cycle engines in a Craftsman and MTD SS machine. I flogged one of the Tecumseh engines mercilessly all last winter (over-riding governor to 6000+ rpm) and the engine is still running strong.

I'm somewhat dismayed that the R-tek, which lives a relatively tame life for a two cycle, would be unreliable?

I've serviced many (many) more R-Tech powered blowers that ran just fine after being cleaned up. I do believe, however, that it’s worth a person’s time to hunt down something powered with a two-stroke Tecumseh. Only a couple R-Techs and a mess of Tecumsehs have come in with regular or too lightly mixed gas in the last couple years. You can usually rock the shaft back and forth and get those freed up. I've got two (R-Tech) blowers behind my garage now with thrown rods. Don’t despair. My stats on R-Tech are in the dumper because people seem to bring their stuff to me when their machine has one or both feet in the grave. R-Tech powered blowers have been a gold mine for used parts. Kind of like AYP/MTD mowers are a great place to harvest good B&S engines. I save people quite a bit since I don't charge for used parts. Tomorrow I try to transplant a 4.5 HP Tecumseh from an MTD blower into a Toro with a blown R-Tech. Probably won't fit. Make everything just different enough so it won't work on anything else... Anybody hear anything on when the people who bought out Tecumseh are going to get their Chinese factory going?

yeehaw.

Let us know how the R-tek/Tecumseh swap goes. Some pics would be nice.

You're probably right that a straight drop in won't likely happen. Might need a engine mounting adapter. If the pto shafts are the same diameter, that should allow for some flexibility. Either way, I'm a big fan of the Tecumseh two cycle engines. They can take a serious flogging and seem to like it. I just make sure I've got a proper fuel to oil mix which is around 35/40:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back