Toro 21” Commercial Suzuki 2 Stroke Lawnmower?

I never seen or knew that two strokes were on lawnmowers. Anyone have any information or used one etc. The history and or story behind something like this? This is a local ad for sale - they are looking for 1000 bucks for this lawnmower. I'll give them it does look clean and brand new, is this two-stroke lawnmower really worth $1000? No I am not interested in buying it I'm just curious on something like this I would like to learn a little more about it.
🙏
273528218_4623317581050254_7580607310839981945_n.jpg
273623489_6996343273740457_2610053194974557484_n.jpg
273528912_4855844641177025_4521470439820481581_n.jpg
273537609_4640694702726297_5232428489780615393_n.jpg
273595434_4764891313556475_7692598407938093114_n.jpg

Many years ago I found one of these at a curb. I thought I struck gold. It would run great for about 20 minutes then shut off. After much research I deduced it was the coil. The coil is nearly $ 200. That's why previous owner threw it out.

About three months ago I saw another Toro Suzuki being thrown out. I didn't have the means to bring it home but on my return trip it was gone. Probably had same issue.

beautiful mower! Lawn Boy ran 2 strokes on their mowers for years (decades?). Great power, light weight, worked great for mowers. Stricter pollution regulations did in the 2 strokes. Do a search on that mower...looks like a solid unit. Those had steel wheels running on ball bearings, aluminum (or magnesium?) deck...those were built for the long haul.

Two stroke engines were VERY common on lawnmowers before the mid 90s. For example, all Lawnboy lawnmowers had two stroke engines before 1990. Most of the major lawnmower manufacturers offered two stroke engine options back in the day. The Wisconsin Robyn two stroke was a popular option on Snapper's commercial mowers (Snapper homeowner mowers had a Tecumseh two stroke option). Toro also offered the Suzuki two stroke on their higher end homeowner models. The only thing that would kill it was long-term dirt ingestion.
Having been in the business, and having sold and serviced MANY Toro Commercial mowers, I can say without hesitation that this was the best, most reliable, and most durable 21" commercial lawnmower ever produced. Everything about this mower is bull stout and it is extremely heavy. If a homeowner bought one of these it would be the last lawnmower they would ever buy. At the very end of production they sold for $1300, definitely not chump change, but worth every penny. Having said that, the seller is being quite cheeky with the price considering that they have been out of production for nearly 25 years. If it runs as good as it looks it would be worth about $600 IMO, still not chump change, especially for a 25 year old 21" lawnmower. The commercial guys that I know who are familiar with this mower would jump all over it at $600 (some of them are still using a few of these, that is how good they were).

Last edited:
I have a side discharge, non self-propelled model of that Toro at my workplace. I haven't used it in years and it needs a carb rebuild.

Up here, the Toro's started showing up after the venerable Jacobson commercial 2 cycles were phased out.
1644499213649.png

IMO, sometimes prices on commercial equipment are really whacko. I.E., the spreader I have below sells for over $800 now:
1644499706332.jpg

Last edited:

I found the listing in marketplace and I see it comes with a spare coil.

Details​

• Condition
    Used – like new
  • Power source
    Gas
  • Brand
    Toro
This mower is a 22040 and has hardly been used. This mower is in beautiful shape and I just have it sitting around my showroom as a display unit. This mower is as close to new you well get for a 20yr mower. These machines last for ever and are the most durable mower ever made. This unit also comes with a brand new spare coil which is worth $200-300

Ignition magnetos (coils) did not commonly fail on the Suzuki two cycle engines. The reason for why they are so expensive now is because this engine has been out of production for nearly a quarter of a century.

Toro makes an excellent lawn mower. But I would not want one with a 2 cycle engine unless it for "for display only".
The reasons that the commercial guys liked the 2-cycles were because they could be operated on steeper hills without ruining the engine, they were more maintenance-free, and they could operate all of their handheld equipment as well as their lawnmowers out of the same fuel can.

I had a well used Toro/Suzuki years ago. One of the best commercial mowers ever built. The compression was so great it took a huge effort to pull the rope to get it running so I sold it. Along with a new oem coil, the asking price seems reasonable for a like new Toro/Suzuki two stroke. It won’t last long even at $1,000.

I used to be a collector of Toro mowers. I had like 20 of them at one time. That thing is a GEM. Literally one of the best mowers ever made.

The price is decent for what it is.

Its best for a collector. Parts are hard to find for that engine.

Its better than any $1000 mower in your dealers showroom.

That deck would last 30 years for an average home owner. Assuming they could keep the engine running, they could theoretically still be using that mower to mow their lawn in 2050.

I had a well used Toro/Suzuki years ago. One of the best commercial mowers ever built. The compression was so great it took a huge effort to pull the rope to get it running so I sold it. Along with a new oem coil, the asking price seems reasonable for a like new Toro/Suzuki two stroke. It won’t last long even at $1,000.
If you had brought that mower to me, I could have fixed it for you.

Last edited:
I have that same model tucked away at my sister’s Maryland house for the past 6 - 7 years, in a separate storage unit. Same condition physically, structurally and appearance as this one. I stored it as a collector’s item, not a regularly used mower.

I got it from a Nebraska Toro dealer who stripped down, restored and rebuilt to like new condition, repainted and sold old outdoor power equipment (during the slow winter months). Interesting concept!

At one point, I owned the following 2 cycle, self propelled mowers (as a collector), Wisconsin Robin powered Snapper, Toro/Suzuki and Lawn Boy 22261 (the most coveted commercial Lawn Boy model ever made). The Snapper and Toro were the the most “bulletproof and unbreakable“ mowers you could pass down to your grandkids (more than any of today’s 4 cycle mowers). The Lawn Boy was more powerful but temperamental to use. Would not stall cutting wheel height grass.

The Toro/Suzuki is the last one I own. However, if there is someone in the Maryland/VA area with $1000 on hand, it can be yours by the first spring lawn cutting.

Question: Can the engine pictured above be installed without issue on the deck of an older commercial frame built in 1987 (10 years prior)? Mine has the metal gas tank, no primer bulb, and also no blade brake mechanism. It needs new piston rings though and new carb gaskets at the very least. I found someone that has a brand new engine exactly like in your photo and if I can just have that put on my machine that will be way cheaper than rebuilding my engine (like half as much) because the guy is letting the new engine go for no more of a cost than what the coil would be alone. Will the bolt holes line up, transmission work properly, and would I need to buy any new hardware for crankshaft/ blade? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
yes the swap can be made . nothing has changed in this regaurd on these. i have done dozens of these swaps on these. the worst part is removing the blade adaptor.

The one you're looking at was built in 1997. I've had a similar Toro commercial model in the push version since I bought it new in 1986. It's been a great mower but $1,000 for that??? The seller must think it's a used pickup truck.

Back