Torn between tool brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a variety of brands for different apps. Mac sockets are the greatest sockets I have ever used, and some S&K sockets might as well be Harbor Frieght specials. However, S&K wrenches are excellent. Snap On Torx sockets are the only ones I can count on. I have Snap On triple square tools because they are similar to Torx.

As others have said, pick up good deals in pawn shops. 1/2 of my tools are from pawn shops.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Silk said:
Hazet, Stahlwille, and Facom are better than Snap-on in what way?[/font]

As I mentioned, I don't use my Snap-on 1/4 drive ratchet every day because it doesn't feel good in the hand, the far cheaper Teng is a better tool to earn your living by. The high chrome Snap-on finish also looks cheap, my German tools have a satin finish, nice to use and look good even after 40 years of use.

I have earned my living with this stuff for 45 years, brand isn't important, doing it's job is important. I've had my tools stolen twice, replaced by the companies I worked for. Don't US employers insure their employees tools? In my shop I always insured my guys gear, and upped the amount every year.

The look of chrome vs satin is highly subjective. I don't really care if it is chrome or satin, but smooth is good in my opinion, easier to clean. (don't like craftsman wrenches for that reason, harder to clean).

I like my Snap-On 1/4 ratchet a lot, the MAC one with the screwdriver type handle is also nice.

And, no US shops do not as a general rule insure the employees personal property.

Facom, Hazet and Stahlwille are all available here although I don't recall ever having seen them on a tool truck. Ultimate Garage sells Facom. I believe SK is the US importer. Amazon sells all three.

And yes to buying consumer grade stuff that is only used for occasional or very specific jobs.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Get your impact sockets from Harbor Freight's Pittsburgh Pro line. They have a lifetime warranty and are good quality and about 15 times cheaper than Snap On.

+1 on the HF sockets. I've even used the impact sockets to hammer out a wheel bearing with a 5lb sledge hammer and then put it back into use on Axle nuts. Still going strong.

The HF earthquake impact guns are great too for a starter tool.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Hazet, Stahlwille, and Facom are better than Snap-on in what way?[/font]

Better is not the word i would use. Snap-On are world class tools without a doubt.
I prefer the Stahlwille and Hazet based on the matt finish and ergonomics as well as the thinness of Hazet wrenches and low profile quick release of the Stahlwille ratchets.

Now Snap-On has comfort grip handles and QR on their 80 tooth i will definitely own one.
Due to an artificial shoulder joint and extensive nerve damage to my right arm and hand the comfort grip is a huge plus point.

I have been retired from the industry for 14 years but as far as the sockets, wrenches, ratchets and screwdrivers Snap on is by far the best at the time in fit finish and strength. There are some features that certain other Mfrs have in their tools that may be needed. Ingersol Rand impacts were far superior to Snap on brand air tools at the time. We ran the compressors at 175 psi and I never broke the IR 231 but 4 times I sent in the Snap on impact to replace the broken anvil assembly. Results from home tool quality brands just don't work well for commercial duty.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I have been retired from the industry for 14 years but as far as the sockets, wrenches, ratchets and screwdrivers Snap on is by far the best at the time in fit finish and strength. There are some features that certain other Mfrs have in their tools that may be needed. Ingersol Rand impacts were far superior to Snap on brand air tools at the time. We ran the compressors at 175 psi and I never broke the IR 231 but 4 times I sent in the Snap on impact to replace the broken anvil assembly. Results from home tool quality brands just don't work well for commercial duty.

This mirrors my buddy Jon's experience as well FWIW. He warrantied his Snap-on impact (he's an HD Diesel mech) a number of times and then said screw it and bought the IR one. It ended up being a much better tool.

As far as sockets and stuff goes though, his box is full of (and his box is) Snap-On. He's had a few other brands but they just don't hold up.

When you work on big stuff tool quality shows its value. I hav pretty much 2 of what was needed to do my job as when a tool breaks and it does you can't go to the store and buy another one .The job has to get done as the customer need the equipment up and running asap to get the job done.

When you work on big stuff tool quality shows its value. I hav pretty much 2 of what was needed to do my job as when a tool breaks and it does you can't go to the store and buy another one .The job has to get done as the customer need the equipment up and running asap to get the job done.

I am a truck mechanic myself, and therefore also use big sized tools. I am sorry but I disagree with you. A 10 mm bolt is a 10 mm bolt no matter if it is mounted on a moped or a 60 ton truck. And the wrench or socket or whatever really don,t care.

Ofcourse if you choose to loosen 32 mm lugnuts with a 1/2" ratchet and a 2 metre pipe. Some brands will brake sooner then others. In my opinion the quality off tools is inportant no matter what you use them on.

Last edited:
Steering wheel mech here, IR air tools, Snap on rachets, torque wrenches, and specialty sockets, mixed bag of snap on wrenches and kobalt from Lowes, everything else from Grainger. Box from NAPA has 23 years in a bad environment so happy there for sure.

You nailed it. My shop shared compressors with a body shop and the body shop techs bumped the cutoff up to about 165-170 PSI so their inline sanders and DAs worked better/faster. IR tools are just overall more reliable than Snap-on air tools, or at least they were when I retired in 2000. For hand tools and Sockets, Snap-on is atill the best.

I started wrenching in 02 and at the time I would say the IR air tools were superior to Snap-On. I would not say that anymore though. The new(ish) 800ftlb Snap-On impact has more power than my IR made Mac 4400 and has proven reliable for many of my coworkers. I bought Snap-On to replace an older worn out 3/8 air ratchet and my broken air hammer as well because they were the best out of any I had used. I still don't know if they are best "for the money" but I needed best I could find and paid the price.

Originally Posted By: punisher
For hand tools and Sockets, Snap-on is atill the best available in the US through normal channels.

Fixed it for ya. They are very good but in no way are they better than Hazet or Stahlwille unless you are a Crow or Raven looking for shiny trinkets.
Their sockets are in my own experience not as good. I have broken more of their deep sockets than other US brands never mind Hazet or Stahlwille.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: punisher
For hand tools and Sockets, Snap-on is atill the best available in the US through normal channels.

Fixed it for ya. They are very good but in no way are they better than Hazet or Stahlwille unless you are a Crow or Raven looking for shiny trinkets.
Their sockets are in my own experience not as good. I have broken more of their deep sockets than other US brands never mind Hazet or Stahlwille.

You didn't fix it good enough because if you had, you would've fixed his typo.

I believe he meant to write still.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back