torco

is there any current experiences with Torco engine oil?, a friend of mine is considering using this in his car ,the specs look good on their web site,

For what it’s worth there are a bunch of posts and discussion on Torco oils, it’s not hard to find them with the unique search term.

And just make sure the “specs” are verifiable and not just “recommended for”. Anyone can make recommendations.

I've never used Torco but I find it odd that they're hardly ever mentioned here compared to HPL, Amsoil, Redline or Driven. Maybe they just advertise less, but Torco seems largely unknown around these parts.

is there any current experiences with Torco engine oil?, a friend of mine is considering using this in his car ,the specs look good on their web site,

I've used the Torco SR1 5w30 in our 2015 Ford Escape for awhile,never had any issues.

I, too, am interested in peoples' experience with Torco oil, especially Torco SX-8 which is their passenger street vehicle oil. Torco gets very little mention here on BITOG. Torco SX-8 now meets Dexos1 Gen 3, and it's comprised of Group III and Group III+ (GTL) base oils according to a Torco representative I spoke with recently.

I, too, am interested in peoples' experience with Torco oil, especially Torco SX-8 which is their passenger street vehicle oil. Torco gets very little mention here on BITOG. Torco SX-8 now meets Dexos1 Gen 3, and it's comprised of Group III and Group III+ (GTL) base oils according to a Torco representative I spoke with recently.

I wonder why it doesn’t show up on the dexos licensed oils page?

If you do a search here for oil changes, you'll see I've used SX-8 and Torco SR1 oils. I had no issues with any of Torco oils.

They're surprisingly transparent about base oils used.

Racing:
1698632765634.jpg

Street:
1698632796266.jpg

1698632845838.jpg

Yeah their site is actually pretty good. I guess I have to add them to one of the few good boutique brands. They're very straight forward with what they use, per grade - PAO, III, III+, V/AN.

Last edited:

Racing:
View attachment 185877

Street:
View attachment 185878
View attachment 185879

That PDS could do with some better fact checking:

MEETS/EXCEEDS:
5W-30: API SN/SM/SL/SJ ● ACEA C3 ● VW502.00/505.00, 504.00/507.00, TL 521 95 ● MB229.31/229.51
● BMW LL-04 ● Porsche C30

Racing:
View attachment 185877

Street:
View attachment 185878
View attachment 185879
MPZ appears to mean Moly, Phosphorous and Zinc.

The SR-1 Street oils are a blend of III/IV and V.
The SR-5 Street oils are PAO/V/AN.

Last edited:
According to a Torco representative, SX-8 is on the GM Dexos1 Gen 3 approved list. However, the "Supplier" is listed as Amalie, and the oil is listed as just Torco. The Torco rep went on to say that Torco purchases some components from Amalie, and the Dexos1 Gem 3 licenses are for SX-8.

I understand that the Technical Data Sheets (TDS) do not determine how well an oil will perform. The TDS for Torco SX-8 in 5W30, for example, does not stand out, especially compared to Amsoil or Red Line. However, SX-8 may be equally as good, but it's hard to tell given that real-world user data for SX-8 is not available.

According to a Torco representative, SX-8 is on the GM Dexos1 Gen 3 approved list. However, the "Supplier" is listed as Amalie, and the oil is listed as just Torco. The Torco rep went on to say that Torco purchases some components from Amalie, and the Dexos1 Gem 3 licenses are for SX-8.
So the answer is there’s no reason to seek out and purchase their brand over whatever d1G3 might be on sale at Walmart.

Decent video. He emphasizes how challenging it is to get things just right. Push too much in one direction you're likely taking away from another. Kind of like a balloon.

Decent video. He emphasizes how challenging it is to get things just right. Push too much in one direction you're likely taking away from another. Kind of like a balloon.

Yes, this comes back to the fact that oils are fully formulated products, and this is a balancing act in order to meet the requirements of different test protocols that may respond favourably to completely opposed chemistries. This again highlights the risk of "dosing" a finished lubricant with some 3rd party additive and concluding that you've made the product better, or that mixing two oils like TGMO and M1 0W-40 yields a superior end product than a fully formulated one.

Back