Topping up '23 Santa Fe 2.5T questions

A few weeks ago I bought a '23 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 2.5T engine, which I'm really liking so far. The manual calls for 0W-30, ILSAC GF6 and API SP oil. It also shows a drawing of the dipstick indicating the oil level between the 'F' mark and the 'L' mark. When checking the oil level is was exactly between those two marks. So according to the book, I'm good. But being a little OCD about oil, I'm gradually working my way towards the 'F' mark. That shouldn't be a problem, correct?

My second question concerns the oil that I have on hand to add. I have a quart of Castrol Edge Euro car 5W-30 on hand that I kept on hand for an emergency to add to my S3 if needed. I bought this oil in the last year but I now noticed that it is API SL. So that is not on the same level as the SP. But this oil meets MB-Approval 229.5 and VW 502 00/ 505 00. This is where I get lost. I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that these German approvals are more stringent than the API approvals. So am I OK adding a little of this Castrol to this engine even though it is SL? Do the German approvals make it better than the SL would indicate?

I do have some QS 5W-30 that meets Hyundai's specs, but I will be letting the S3 go before too long so wanted to start using the Castrol for filling in.

Thanks for your help.

The oil level between F and L is acceptable. No need to top it up, but since you already have, be careful not to overfill.

I like to keep the oil level as close to the “F” as possible. I wouldn’t use the SL rated Castrol in a modern turbo GDI+MPI engine, but I would use the SP Quaker State.

The area on the dipstick between the ADD and FULL marks is known as the "safe zone." Many dipsticks have "OK" stamped in this area. In normal driving conditions, if the level is in the safe zone then you are good to go. If the level is near or below the ADD mark, add 1 quart and recheck the level. The only time you need to keep the level right at the FULL mark is if your engine is leaking or burning oil (for a buffer), or if you are really pushing the engine hard such as towing/hauling or racing (more oil volume provides more cooling effect / more fluid to absorb heat from the engine). My $0.02

I'd leave it be for now.

Being a Hyundai/Kia engine, I'd top it up to around Full at your next oil change or to the max listed capacity in the book and periodically make sure it hasn't deviated much from that line. Don't know if you get it done by a shop or DIY but probably work keeping a quart bottle or five to get close-ish to what is used - depending on how much it takes to top off too.

I highly recommend Liqui Moly’s Molygen 5w-40. Pretty much all Korean T-GDI engines do really well on slightly thicker oil. I run it with great success in my fully tuned 500 hp Kia Stinger 3.3 twin turbo with 4k OCI’s without any consumption. I’m running 0W-40 in the 1.6t Tucson Hybrid. Change that oil by 500 miles and definitely don’t recommend extended OCI’s.

Last edited:
The area on the dipstick between the ADD and FULL marks is known as the "safe zone." Many dipsticks have "OK" stamped in this area. In normal driving conditions, if the level is in the safe zone then you are good to go. If the level is near or below the ADD mark, add 1 quart and recheck the level. The only time you need to keep the level right at the FULL mark is if your engine is leaking or burning oil (for a buffer), or if you are really pushing the engine hard such as towing/hauling or racing (more oil volume provides more cooling effect / more fluid to absorb heat from the engine). My $0.02
This is spot on ⬆️

dipsticks are not exactly the most precise device used for mechanical measurement on automobiles... if you have oil between the marks, stop with the OCD and check it again in a couple thousand miles.

Feeling OCD about your Hyundai could cause you to inflict damage to your vehicle. Leave it alone.

The dipstick on our VW Tiguan isn’t very accurate either. It’s always in the middle of the safe zone. It doesn’t matter whether I’ve just changed the oil or just before changing the oil. Don’t worry too much. Take note of where it is after changing and filling with the required amount.

Enough is enough. Call it giving yourself some room in case of fuel dilution if your OCD cannot handle it.
I would actually add an extra half quart to deal with fuel dilution. Those Hyundai turbos are pretty sensitive to the AW package in the oil, so better safe than sorry.

I would actually add an extra half quart to deal with fuel dilution. Those Hyundai turbos are pretty sensitive to the AW package in the oil, so better safe than sorry.

Just making sure I understand. You're recommending overfilling the engine oil by 1/2 quart because of fuel dilution (where excess fuel will add even more volume to the crankcase)?

OK guys. I've stopped adding. I've added maybe a quarter of a quart. The level started out at the half way point and now it's pretty much at the 3/4 full mark. I'll not add any more.

My 2023 Sonata 2.5 (non-turbo) also shows about 1/3 below FULL line on the dipstick after an oil change. I too suffer from oil level OCD and am in the 6-step program. Instead of 6.13 quarts, i put 6.25 to get it to F. Yes...i'm that guy. I'll try to get over it as the manual also says between F and L is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
If I had the Hyundai 2.5 Turbo I would uograde to Mobil 1 FS 5W-30 or 0W-40 API SP. That oil should keep the engine happy for a long time.

Back