Top Tier Stations Detergent Levels

How did we get from Top Tier, to stickers, to brainwashing. There are extremes, such as, go to law school when it's not ABA accredited (these exist in CA), and not likely to ever be able to practice law. So good idea to look for ABA accreditation.

But if a person wants to seek out non Top Tier gasoline, that's not that hard, I mean you might get Top Tier by mistake especially when a new brand is added to the list. But it's very doable and the success rate is probably high if a person hasn't been brainwashed yet

In my area, go to Wawa, or BJ's, and you've avoided Top Tier. Easy peasy

How did we get from Top Tier, to stickers, to brainwashing. There are extremes, such as, go to law school when it's not ABA accredited (these exist in CA), and not likely to ever be able to practice law. So good idea to look for ABA accreditation.

But if a person wants to seek out non Top Tier gasoline, that's not that hard, I mean you might get Top Tier by mistake especially when a new brand is added to the list. But it's very doable and the success rate is probably high if a person hasn't been brainwashed yet

In my area, go to Wawa, or BJ's, and you've avoided Top Tier. Easy peasy
How would you know if you got Top Tier by mistake or not? I'm not avoiding Top Tier I just say it's a scam as it's not needed. Or if it is not in my experience. Maybe I got good cars and good gas supply? With the introduction of ethanol in the late 70s the fuel systems stay quite clean. That is my experience.

Luckily we have a vp nearby...only state with no ethanol in the 91 now so I drive 40 minutes one way to get their fuel for my OPE.
Awesome! A couple powersports places here sell VP by the can but if i drive 2 hours there is a VP station. Oh and if i was cool and had something that needed 110 there are 2 stations that have VP 110 at the pump for 9 bucks a gallon

What year/gen GTI?
2015. So mk7.
It’s known that COSTCO adds additives when fuel is delivered…but WHEN? Before the truck dumps gas? After his load is in the tank? As he fills the tank.
Buddy installs the systems at Costco so trust his info - added after delivery. I've posted a link to how Costco's Top Tier add pack system before if you search. I use Costco gas almost exclusively.
I worked at Costco several years ago and did a shift out at the gas station a few times a week. Our store was brand new at the time, 10+ years old now, but they still use the same system today. And I dont know what other Costco's do or if our setup is typical but I can tell you exactly what our Costco did

The additive system is fully automated and begins additizing DURING delivery. As soon as he starts putting fuel in the tanks, the system comes alive and starts dispensing additives in a way that (it claims) maintains the same ratio of fuel:additive in the tanks at all times. So it's constantly measuring the amount of fuel going into the tank and constantly adding additive proportionally to maintain the same ratio. Or so it claims. Obviously I have no way of verifying how accurately it was maintaining that ratio. But I can tell you for sure it starts additizing during delivery.

QuikTrip is another. Just filled up at a QuikTrip here in Illinois with the TopTier logo clearly advertised on the pump.
Another 2nd tier company. Only five stations in Illinois and the closest one is 60 miles. Do you go there because they advertise the Top Tier?

One thing that I noticed at the Quik Trip that I was at this morning... they had a separate nozzle for ethanol-free 91 octane.
Now THAT is a rarity in Illinois.... even more rare than TopTier. I don't believe I've ever seen this at the Missouri QuikTrips that I've been to.

Last edited:
2015. So mk7.

I worked at Costco several years ago and did a shift out at the gas station a few times a week. Our store was brand new at the time, 10+ years old now, but they still use the same system today. And I dont know what other Costco's do or if our setup is typical but I can tell you exactly what our Costco did

The additive system is fully automated and begins additizing DURING delivery. As soon as he starts putting fuel in the tanks, the system comes alive and starts dispensing additives in a way that (it claims) maintains the same ratio of fuel:additive in the tanks at all times. So it's constantly measuring the amount of fuel going into the tank and constantly adding additive proportionally to maintain the same ratio. Or so it claims. Obviously I have no way of verifying how accurately it was maintaining that ratio. But I can tell you for sure it starts additizing during delivery.
So you weren't out there with a box of Techron unscrewing and dumping them into the tank as it filled from the truck? 🤣

My wife fills at Costco most of the time, I tend to frequent Arco or 76 just often (all based on price and the fact I don't have a Costco card).

So you weren't out there with a box of Techron unscrewing and dumping them into the tank as it filled from the truck? 🤣

My wife fills at Costco most of the time, I tend to frequent Arco or 76 just often (all based on price and the fact I don't have a Costco card).

Someone mentioned that with some Chevron deliveries, the driver might need to dump the contents of Techron bottles into the tank before delivery of the fuel. It would be for situations where they couldn't supply that automatically. But that would be at the fuel depot.

I heard about Costco's system, and I was worried that it might be just dumped in before fuel delivery. However, it seems like it's carefully metered to match the flow of the fuel coming in.

Last edited:

If your wife has a membership and you live at the same address you can be added to it and get your own card eh? Not that anybody at the gas station is checking that closely anyways if you just borrowed her card, but you could get your own.

If your wife has a membership and you live at the same address you can be added to it and get your own card eh? Not that anybody at the gas station is checking that closely anyways if you just borrowed her card, but you could get your own.
It's slightly more complicated than that. Long story...

Basically two cards are available with the most basic membership. They say both cardholders have to be in the same household, but that's kind of hard to prove.

A total of two people can be on a Gold Star Membership (either regular or Executive): one Primary Member and one free household member who is over 16 and lives at the same address. If you are the Primary Member, we leave it up to you to decide who receives the second card—something you can change at any time by visiting your Account Details or the membership counter at your local Costco.​
The notable difference between Gold Star Membership and Business Membership is that the Primary Member on a Business Membership can add more than one person for an additional fee.​

Top Tier is a scam! Save yourself.....

I have never seen a Top Tier sticker on a gas pump in Illinois.
Nothing more of a scam than Illinois. Top Tier isn't about the detergent package only, but the pledge to keep organometalic emission damaging material.

Screenshot_20240404_195858_Brave.jpg

One thing that I noticed at the Quik Trip that I was at this morning... they had a separate nozzle for ethanol-free 91 octane.
Now THAT is a rarity in Illinois.... even more rare than TopTier. I don't believe I've ever seen this at the Missouri QuikTrips that I've been to.
Oakgrove QT has 91 clear on 2 pumps.

I wish HPL made gas!
They do sell a “top-tier” fuel additive that has a veritable laundry list of all the good additives. I don’t know all of them, but Dave said that literally every additive that’s been proven to be an effective fuel system or combustion chamber cleaner is in their formula.

The only downside is that to ship it by ground it’s classified as hazardous material and gets all the stupid fees associated with that. So unless you can pick it up in Manteno, it’s not an attractive financial proposition even though it’s the best fuel system cleaner available.

Road trip, anyone? 😂

Back