Tools you bought two or more of because it was so good.

I will buy most ANY type of oil filter wrench, that could benefit me in getting a stubborn oil filter off. I'm very careful regarding torque, and proper lubrication of the rubber seal / gasket. But in my years maintaining cars I've seen some real messes made from stuck oil filters, along with the disasters that followed with the butchery involved in trying to get them off.

So if I come across a oil filter wrench that could remotely become an asset in my tool box, I will purchase it immediately. Most are not that expensive, and if they are ever needed in a pinch, they'll be worth many times what I paid for them. Fortunately for me, most are still unused. And I hope they stay that way.

Ogs1JR7.jpg
the vice grip one seems pretty useful and the adjustable wrench looking one for really tight oil filters, might actually get those. i have that black penzoil oil filter wrench and a bigger filter wrench.

Craftsman cotter key extractor. I have one in my big box and one in my travel box. I can use it on cotter keys, baked-on hoses, a pilot punch and even a scratch awl.

Also, a 12 inch pipe wrench. It removes rounded bolts that Vise Grips won't touch. One in each box.

Craftsman cotter key extractor. I have one in my big box and one in my travel box. I can use it on cotter keys, baked-on hoses, a pilot punch and even a scratch awl.

Also, a 12 inch pipe wrench. It removes rounded bolts that Vise Grips won't touch. One in each box.
Ya know I have one of the Cman cotter key pullers and I can't say I've ever used it because I never seem to think to....but the concept seems solid and yes, it seems like one of those basic tools that could serve many purposes

I have never used a cotter key extractor (or seen one in person) but I can see how they could come in handy. It could double as a torture device...

Last edited:
I have never used a cotter key extractor (or seen one in person) but I can see how they could come in handy. It could double as a torture device...
In the rust belt they are not very useful. Most of the time all it does is tear open the round end of the split pin.

Those are great. I've got two of the 200mm version w/ regular dipped handles, and they are used often.
I generally just buy dipped handle pliers. Never thought I’d like these fancy handles but I really do!

I've ended up with two of something but not on purpose.

I do like that metal clip removal tool though. I've only seen plastic in that shape and figured it wasn't worth money. 😁

In the rust belt they are not very useful. Most of the time all it does is tear open the round end of the split pin.
What you do with them is tap the point into the round end of the key and move it enough that you can get a good grip on the key with a pair of diagonal pliers. And, I've lived in the rust belt my whole life.

Local NAPA had these near the checkout 10 or so years ago. Looked well finished and, important for me, had PoziDriv bits. Great little kit, so I bought a few more over the years; another for me and gifts for gearhead fiends w/ similar vehicles.

SUNEX Mini Ratchet Set

I thought of another one. Chinese fingers. Those three or four leg pick up tools. My boss showed me a cool trick today of putting a rag on the end and reaching it down in tight spaces to wipe up oil. I already own two sets I’ll be purchasing another for the cart most likely. I am also bad about dropping oil caps so they are perfect for picking those up too provided you can find it haha.

The Ryobi drills. They used to be $40-$60 and they came with the battery. The battery alone was sometimes $40-$60 so now I don't even know how many drills I have, at least 3-4, maybe more.... I mainly bought them for the battery. And the tire inflator, used to leave it in the car til the last one got stolen.

The Ryobi drills. They used to be $40-$60 and they came with the battery. The battery alone was sometimes $40-$60 so now I don't even know how many drills I have, at least 3-4, maybe more.... I mainly bought them for the battery. And the tire inflator, used to leave it in the car til the last one got stolen.
Definitely buy batteries with tools! It's also nice to have extra the chargers at various locations around the house...I have 2 in the garage, 1 in the kitchen, and 1 on the 2nd floor.

Last edited:
Back