Tool Storage In Unheated Space

CCI

If you had to store reasonably good quality hand tools (Craftsman, Snap-On) and things like specialty pullers and general mechanic tools in an unheated space, how would you protect them? WD-40? Something similar?

What about micrometers, snap gauges, dial indicators and finer type measuring tools?

The only thing I do is put some of those little silica bags (that say do not eat) in the drawers of the toolbox. Nothing else is done to protect my tools. Never had rust form on them.

How big is the space? The room I kept my Harley in is 16 x 7. I built it with 6" insulated side walls and 12" insulation on top. I keep my oil/oil filters, torque wrenches and man cave stuff out there. I use a 120 volt ceramic heater set on the 3 setting. Keeps it 65° in the winter. Maybe something like that would work for you.

In New Mexico? Isn't it dry enough there for atmospheric corrosion to not be a concern?

My basement where I keep mine doesn’t have heat I never have had issues with rust or anything but they also get used frequently too I do know people that give them a light coat of WD40 beforehand.

I don't have cold temps but humidity is high about 4 months out of the year. Sometimes I get a light rust coating on older tools but just wipe down with wd-40 and use them. No other special treatment.

This is the first winter I've had a heated garage in Minnesota, and my race trailer has always spent winters in unheated spaces. I've never done anything special with tools over winter and never seen an reason that I need to start doing so.

Camphor blocks and silica packs in the drawers.

For extreme climates (salt air near the sea shore), you could do what my Grandad did- coat tools in boiled linseed oil. Not as shiny, but better grip and no rust.

I wouldn't use WD-40. The problem with WD-40 is that it turns to brown, hard, sticky residue that won't come off with solvent. I ruined a set of taps & dies by spraying them down with WD-40 and leaving them for a year or so. I wouldn't want to get WD-40 into the internals of anything, or the threads of anything (like a puller) because if it gums up, and it will, you've ruined that thing until you can wire-brush all the gunk off. WD-40 is terrible stuff. Might be OK for wiping down, say, a box-end wrench, but I wouldn't use it on my tools, ever.

I actually buy Rem-oil (gun oil, available at Lowes) and wipe my tools down with a Spritz of Rem-oil and a microfiber towel.

I live near the beach, lots of humidity, lots of salt. I have never had a problem with tools that were wiped down. I wipe tools down with that oil-dampened cloth and a spritz of Rem-oil, or even just a spray oil, like this: https://www.liquidwrench.com/product/lubricating-oil/

I wouldn't use WD-40. The problem with WD-40 is that it turns to brown, hard, sticky residue that won't come off with solvent. I ruined a set of taps & dies by spraying them down with WD-40 and leaving them for a year or so. I wouldn't want to get WD-40 into the internals of anything, or the threads of anything (like a puller) because if it gums up, and it will, you've ruined that thing until you can wire-brush all the gunk off. WD-40 is terrible stuff. Might be OK for wiping down, say, a box-end wrench, but I wouldn't use it on my tools, ever.

I actually buy Rem-oil (gun oil, available at Lowes) and wipe my tools down with a Spritz of Rem-oil and a microfiber towel.

I live near the beach, lots of humidity, lots of salt. I have never had a problem with tools that were wiped down. I wipe tools down with that oil-dampened cloth and a spritz of Rem-oil, or even just a spray oil, like this: https://www.liquidwrench.com/product/lubricating-oil/

Agree … about all I spray with WD40 are large/crude things like shovels, rakes, hoes etc …

Good to know that about the WD-40, thank you. I will try the liquid wrench product.

My tools have always been stored in an unheated space and I've never had rust issues on anything...not even the handful of cheap tools I have. Never used any type of rust inhibitor product on them. Georgia has a lot of humidity about 2/3 to 3/4 of the year.

I also use silica gel in the toolbox drawers.

My big issue with my garage is "car water", salty slush that comes in hanging off of cars that melts and leaves puddles everywhere. The concrete slab stays cold and condenses humidity from the air on it. I go out there with a squeegie and dustpan, and get several gallons (!) of water up and into buckets for eventual disposal. When it's bad, the windows fog/frost up from the inside.

So far, being up off the ground and in drawers help my tools. I have an open shelf of mismatched fasteners, lug nuts etc and they rust. Low-value stuff touching the concrete rusts incredibly.

My heater is a ventless propane unit that gives off bunches of water vapor. I only run it for emergent repairs.

Keep the tools oiled At work doing service calls in the rain the tools would rust but with in a few weeks the rust was wore off.

I don't have cold temps but humidity is high about 4 months out of the year. Sometimes I get a light rust coating on older tools but just wipe down with wd-40 and use them. No other special treatment.
If you work on old leaky cars you never have to worry about rusty tools.:LOL:

Back