Tool Crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.autonews.com/fixed-ops-...ome-techs-saps-service-department-morale

Some excerpts:

When Kevin Inkell was a service technician in his teens, he decided he had to have a state-of-the-art toolbox. He eagerly awaited each visit of a tool company representative to his dealership's shop. In their fancy trucks, the persuasive salespeople displayed the latest, greatest, shiniest tools to the techs. Money was no object to Inkell. That was the problem. "I was 18 years old, living at home with Mom and Dad, with maybe $200 a month in expenses," recalls Inkell, now 39 and a veteran tech at Arrigo Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep-Ram in West Palm Beach, Fla.

"I started to pull credit lines from all the tool guys," Inkell told Fixed Ops Journal. "I had $10,000 here, $15,000 there, $8,000 at another. I just went on the truck and said, 'I want this, this, this and this.' I handed the tool guy my credit card and told him to charge it."

Despite working what he calls "crazy hours," paying back as much as he could and at one point returning $8,000 worth of tools he had bought, Inkell amassed tens of thousands of dollars in tool and interest charges. Coupled with an on-the-job injury and the costs of a subsequent marriage and divorce, the tool debt Inkell couldn't repay forced him to declare bankruptcy.

...Credit and financial services can be major profit centers for tool companies, but the problem of technician debt is one that the companies evidently don't care to discuss. Spokesmen for Snap-on, Matco Tools and Mac Tools — the largest suppliers of automotive tools to techs — did not respond to repeated requests for comment for this story...

...Greg Sutton, a service technician at a dealership in Pennsylvania that he asked not be named, says he avoids debt by paying cash for tools. "I have seen guys buy quad-bay toolboxes, spending $10,000 to $20,000 just to hold their gear," he adds. "To me, that's an irrational move. If you work for a dealership, you'll need some specialized tools rather than gear for every make and model of vehicle."...

...Evidence of technicians' tool debt is more anecdotal than statistical. The National Automobile Dealers Association says it has no data on such debt.
But a forum for technicians on the job website Indeed.com includes numerous accounts of technicians who say they are "drowning" in debt because of "massive" and "skyrocketing" tool prices, double-digit interest rates on tool purchases and "house-sized" investments in their toolboxes....

Last edited:
Its insane to go into debt like that for tools. I can say I never went into any debt and I have nice tools but my boxes (which are large) were very lightly used because some poor sap had to keep up with the other guys and buy the biggest Snap on offered.
I bought the initial set from Sears in 1975 with a top box and a used small bottom box from a tool truck for cash and added on as I went along.

Nothing really matches (the tools are all the same brands but not the sets) but all the brands are top shelf that I picked up when there was a deal to be had and I couldn't care less if all my screwdrivers don't have the same colored handles. Yes you have to spend some money to have nice tools but you don't have to sell the farm or go into debt to do it just buy smart.

I was in HF a few years ago and one guy says I won't buy any expensive tools any more since they tent to have legs. Guess a lot of good stuff goes missing in his shop.

This is a story? lots of guys are bad with money - no reason for tool companies to get into that with anyone, or car companies, or anyone that offers terms.

Blame the tool guy - lol - if you're such a huckleberry you cant say "no thanks" to a tool truck guy, go find a safe space somewhere and tweet about it.

"Borrow tools" from older guys - lol - how about "rent it" so you don't come off as a needy punk?

Buying stuff you can't pay off is a stupid game.

UD

Not the tool companies fault. American greed! I 've made my share of mistakes, so I know.....Now, that is the school of hard knocks, including divorce...Hopefully, he learned a valuable lesson and can teach others.

You don't need to have the best tools to be good at your job. However, you will find a lot of the people who are good at their jobs have good tools.

Mechanics are in tough because their tools are so expensive and they need them right away to complete jobs. Boxes aren't so bad unless you buy a massive Epiq or something insane like that. Being organized saves time which is also super important to flat rate techs.
Originally Posted by JC1
I was in HF a few years ago and one guy says I won't buy any expensive tools any more since they tent to have legs. Guess a lot of good stuff goes missing in his shop.
Don't buy the same tools as everyone else and permanently visibly deface them. If they think you will at least try to kick their [censored] they won't steal them. Other than that, keep them organized to keep track of them and show potential thieves that you will notice when they are gone.

"Growing legs" is a term that old men use to blame everyone for stealing their tools when they lose them. If I spend 50-100% more for a quality tool you can bet I will notice the second it is gone. Old dudes also tend to not buy expensive tools because they are cheapskates.

How is this different than any other poor soul who ends up $33k in debt and doesn't have the income to pay?

And he might have, had it not been for an injury and divorce. One might not be avoidable; the other, perhaps.

I have no doubt that there's a decent investment to get going. In the thousands of dollars. But in this Information Age, finding what's the right tools to get isn't hard. And getting American made boxes for less is certainly doable.

You don't even have to sell out your neighbor to the importer du jour!

There are quite a few aircraft techs with expensive tool sets. However, low boy tool boxes are generally required, so they can be pushed under wings in a crowded hangar.

I have one expensive tool box, and 5 additional craftsman style boxes. One for each set of specialized tools. Sheet metal tools take up one box, for example.

I have a nice collection, but it's very old (about 35 years) and it's certainly not all SnapOn. Only the mission critical tools are Snappy.

I have a pet peeve with our schools.
I believe no one should get out of grade school without an understanding of a savings account, checking account and credit cards.
No one should get out of high school without a basic understanding of personal finance, especially the time value of money.

Most go out into the world unarmed in the world of finance; it leads to so many problems.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I believe no one should get out of grade school without an understanding of a savings account, checking account and credit cards.
No one should get out of high school without a basic understanding of personal finance, especially the time value of money.

Most go out into the world unarmed in the world of finance; it leads to so many problems.

Why is it the government's problem?

To me, that is the problem. Teach your children.

There's absolutely no reason to go into debt like this buying tools. I never spend a DIME with Snap-On, I will occasionally buy from the Mac dealer, but mostly I buy from HF and our independent tool vendor.

Why? What's the difference, that's why. Snap-on has a warranty, so does HF. When your $166 dollar Snap-On ratchet fails, the guy on the truck will rebuild it and give you the same crappy, beat up, used ratchet back.

When my HF ratchet ($26.99) broke, I took it back to the store with no receipt and was handed a new one. No questions asked.

I have plenty of Snap-On tools that were worth the price of admission. Most, in my opinion, aren't.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
You don't need to have the best tools to be good at your job. However, you will find a lot of the people who are good at their jobs have good tools.

Mechanics are in tough because their tools are so expensive and they need them right away to complete jobs. Boxes aren't so bad unless you buy a massive Epiq or something insane like that. Being organized saves time which is also super important to flat rate techs.
Originally Posted by JC1
Don't buy the same tools as everyone else and permanently visibly deface them. If they think you will at least try to kick their [censored] they won't steal them. Other than that, keep them organized to keep track of them and show potential thieves that you will notice when they are gone.

"Growing legs" is a term that old men use to blame everyone for stealing their tools when they lose them. If I spend 50-100% more for a quality tool you can bet I will notice the second it is gone. Old dudes also tend to not buy expensive tools because they are cheapskates.

My electrical tools have always been marked with metallic gold spray paint. It's gaudy, sure, but no one wants to steal my tools anymore.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

With cost of living high enough that often both parents have to work, the government can spend some of that tax money on personal finance. The problem is they can't even teach math these days.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
There's absolutely no reason to go into debt like this buying tools. I never spend a DIME with Snap-On, I will occasionally buy from the Mac dealer, but mostly I buy from HF and our independent tool vendor.

Why? What's the difference, that's why. Snap-on has a warranty, so does HF. When your $166 dollar Snap-On ratchet fails, the guy on the truck will rebuild it and give you the same crappy, beat up, used ratchet back.

When my HF ratchet ($26.99) broke, I took it back to the store with no receipt and was handed a new one. No questions asked.

I have plenty of Snap-On tools that were worth the price of admission. Most, in my opinion, aren't.
Big difference. The Snap On warranty is a phone call away, where you have to drive to HF and stand in line. I can understand comparing Snap On to another mid or high end American or Euro brand, but Snappy and HF are apples to oranges.

Originally Posted by JC1

A tire shop we deal with a lot has switched to the $69 harbor freight impacts as the expensive ones walk off while his guys are fixing the tire.

Shopaholics spending too much money. This has to be the first time that's ever happened.

This has been happening for decades, Predatory lending practices & living/borrowing beyond ones means is as American as Apple Pie!

I own many Snap-on tools & have had small RA's here & there with Snap-on, Mac, & Cornwell. If one ever actually reads the contract terms from the Credit Arms of ANY of these companies will realize they charge the maximum APR% legally allowed no matter your credit score!
When I bought my Snap-on MT2500 Super Deluxe, I borrowed the money from my bank.....Paid it off in 12 months-interest free & my Snap-on Rep knocked 40% off retail for paying cash.

Truck RA's are interest free, But most franchise reps won't carry much over a grand for good customers, Way less for a 18 YO high risk kid they don't know.

The culture in shops/garages has to carry some of the blame here, The old guys in the shop poking fun at a kids tools just to make themselves feel better is flat WRONG......He!l......They try that crap with me at my new job because I don't have a $20,000 Triple Bank with a hutch & lockers......I'm older & been turning wrenches longer than them!
I do have a KRL7022/KRL1201 at home.....But they don't make me a better mechanic & got tired of lugging them around truth be told.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Well, what if the parents don't understand basic finance?
What if the kid doesn't have parents?

Call me crazy, but isn't education supposed to educate people?
My point is that basic finance should be in the curriculum.
I took Calculus in high school; I have used it exactly once in my working life and that was under discussion not actually used in any computer program I ever wrote.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back