Tool box brands - Does it really matter?

I have a Snap-on box. Let me be the first to tell you - they are not worth the money. They use a lot of 18 gauge steel in their boxes now. The last good Snap-on box to be made was the KR1000 and the other boxes from that time frame. The KR1000 last appeared in the 1990 catalog. My advice is to find a very old Snap-on box if you have to have a Snap-on box. Something made before 1991.

I have a big Snap on box... 85th anniversary edition or something.
I started out at 18 years old buying a Mac top chest for 300 bucks. The Snap on man offered me more than I paid for it to get into an 1800 dollar top and bottom.
Every five or so years, as I needed a larger box, I always managed to get great deals. The box I have now was on the truck for a LONG time... It's kinda ugly but who cares? It's for holding tools.
It was a long time ago, but I remember trading in my then current box and maybe 500 bucks and getting the anniversary box and two pairs of the Snap on boots.
My Snap on guy was a real [censored]. I liked him.
What I'm getting at is there are deals to be had if you can wait a little.

Save the money on the tools instead of a box reason I say that is the tool guys often have rebates and promotions and the 7000 tool box can be had for 3500 or so. So your 50% discount isn't really any better than what I can do currently only difference is i may have to wait a month or so for a promotion to come around where you can use your discount whenever. Tools rarely have those kind of deals . So i say use your disount on the tools.

I very recently bought(3) 52" boxes from home depot. One top and bottom combo for $598 and two bottom boxes with wood work bench type top @ $298 ea. All have ball bearing slides (double slides on bottom drawers). The top/bottom combo isn't as deep as the other two but adequate for my home use. Drawers glide easily , even the heavily loaded ones. The metal is thinner than other boxes perhaps but it fine for me. They only come in black. Best value I could find, even better than Harbor Freight.

I worked with a guy who did primarily carb tuning and rebuilding. More bench work than rack work. He did good with throttle bodies too.
He did this for 8 years.. his toolbox: a red craftsman 3 drawer DIY box, complete with the locking bar!
Most of what he had was screwdrivers, taps, precision tools, 1/4" sockets, rubber tipped hammer and a regular claw hammer. nothing really fancy in there.
Yeah, he was borrowing tools from the boss's ginormous snapon box, which was loaded with tools that never got used. Since the boss decided he was above wrenching and just sat and counted his money.

But this guy was able to be pretty functional with basic handtools. Given, the bigger jobs he had to borrow, but like everyone's been saying, the tools get the job done, the box just sits there.

My take on it is this - If you don't own the shop you work for, run a good, cheap (reasonable) box. If you own the shop, own a good, clean, sharp looking box you won't need to replace, and will make a good impression on customers that may see it.

I think toolboxes are a sales tool. If you don't need to be selling, buy for function. In my wood shop, I've got a cabinet and bench I built to the best of my ability. It's a sales tool, to demonstrate my ability to customers.

My mechanic brother-in-law has pretty plain Craftsman boxes for his day job. They're pretty rough now, as they've been moved a lot. His home shop has Snap On, because his customers see it. I think they are reassured in seeing a name brand that is neat and clean. They think it should also mean neat and clean work.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
A real serious mechanic will have a least one Kennedy tool box.

LOVE that brown crinkle finish, the felt lined drawers, the script "Kennedy" on the side, no chinky nascar logos... simple and very professional.

The only place I've seen a Kennedy box on display for sale was at the book store when I went to trade school. You can only get them from an industrial supplier. If you have a local industrial supplier, they might just have some stuff on display. I've never seen one for sale in a hardware store. The only other place I would recommend is a pawn shop.

The first thing I look at when a new machinist comes into the factories shop is his toolbox, if it isn't a Gerstner or Kennedy my first impression is "oh no another know nothing button pusher". True about 90% of the time

If your judging a machinists talent by the brand of toolbox he owns....tsk tsk

I worked more than 10 years in a dealership, worked my way from the bottom helper guy up to one of the top techs. I started w/ a 3 drawer because I got it free from autotech in high school and I knew I was going to be shop b*&%h for a while so it didn't matter if I had tools. I bought a craftsman 41" ball bearing and lived with it my entire time in the dealership because after about 4-5 years I knew I wanted out. I had to invest in a roll cart, and realistically, did all my work out of the roll cart. I got the huge Matco cart with a work table and all that (off craigslist very cheap).

My advice is save money on the box. Craigslist has many great deals. If you feel strongly that you'll be wrenching more than 5 years, a box is probably worth the investment, but I still wouldn't buy new. Buy it from someone retiring or giving up on wrenching off the internet. Buy a repo or trade in.

Or (and I am in no way affiliated) buy one from Strictly toolboxes. Google them. I told my friend about them that I used to work with, but like I said, I never had the intentions of staying so I never wanted to invest in a big box. He got a 72" from Strictly and its great. After seeing it in person and hearing about their customer service to him, I'd never consider anything else (if I was shopping new). The quality is great if you can find a box they sell that you agree with.

Now I'm a government fleet tech, and my advice to you would be get into some sort of fleet, salaried work if you can. And remember to shop for a box that you'll be able to keep at home if need-be. I don't think everyone can fit a 72" box at home, but a 52" should be do-able in most garages or sheds.

And I read somewhere in other posts, Matco trucks are few and far between. I've experienced that as well. In a very busy district, our tool men were always vanishing except for snap-on. I had a great matco guy for 3-4 years, then never again in my 12 years there. Mac was off and on each year it seemed like, and Snap-on was always there.

Last edited:
Skip the Husky box and consider a Homak Big Dawg if you are looking for a large box at a discount price. Their 60" boxes are 2400-2500 delivered online. They are worth the cost and will hold up.

I would run this until you feel the need to upgrade to a 'namebrand'.

The issue with Husky and all other 'cheap' boxes are the slides, they are cheap and the wheels are small.

Atleast with the Homak, it is made by Kennedy and have decent slides.

For a year or so I did maintenance in a manufacturing plant and had to buy my own tools. I bought the HF box that's either 41" or 44" long for around $370. Since I left that job, that box sits proudly in my garage and holds a lot of tools, plus it has a nice flat surface for working on things. One of the best purchases I've ever made ! It's NOT a Matco or a Snapon, but it was only $370 !!

Here's another vote for buying good tools, but save your money on the tool box. Notice that I didn't say to buy a low-quality tool box.
Also remember that the tool box is only as good as your ability (or your tool dealer's ability) to find replacement parts for it when parts are needed. As far as buying name brand tool boxes, I bought a new Matco tool box back in 1980. Over the years, it's held up well, but about 10 years ago it needed a small clip on the sliding rails to stop one of the drawers from completely pulling out. A young, new Matco tool dealer came into the area and noticed my Matco tool box. He commented that he hadn't seen one like that before (course he was only a dealer for a short time) and then he commented on how it has held up over time. I then hit him up for the replacement drawer clip. Without batting on eye, he told me that replacement parts for my tool box have LONG been discontinued and wouldn't be available, end of story. He didn't even offer to make any attempt to look for one.
He didn't last long.

I have a Crafstman box from ~10yrs ago, and the drawers are starting to wear and not close properly (OK, only one draw is doing this). If I was buying another box I would check the design and quality of the drawer sliding mechanism ... better to buy used and good vs new and cheap IMO.

Originally Posted By: NJC
I have a Crafstman box from ~10yrs ago, and the drawers are starting to wear and not close properly (OK, only one draw is doing this). If I was buying another box I would check the design and quality of the drawer sliding mechanism ... better to buy used and good vs new and cheap IMO.

I bought a brand from Menards and the fit and finish is definitely subpar. But, honestly, for the price, it holds my tools and works well enough. Personally, I'll save the money and have one that flops left and right because it's crooked. I only change oil and some random maintenance every few months. If I used it every day I'd probably have a different opinion.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
A real serious mechanic will have a least one Kennedy tool box.

LOVE that brown crinkle finish, the felt lined drawers, the script "Kennedy" on the side, no chinky nascar logos... simple and very professional.

The only place I've seen a Kennedy box on display for sale was at the book store when I went to trade school. You can only get them from an industrial supplier. If you have a local industrial supplier, they might just have some stuff on display. I've never seen one for sale in a hardware store. The only other place I would recommend is a pawn shop.

The first thing I look at when a new machinist comes into the factories shop is his toolbox, if it isn't a Gerstner or Kennedy my first impression is "oh no another know nothing button pusher". True about 90% of the time

I've never understood why some people have such an opinion that a real professional uses Kennedy tool boxes. I've used Kennedy tool boxes.

A company I used to work at had all Kennedy tool boxes throughout the plant. I guess some buyer somewhere was getting a kickback from the industrial supply company. Anyway, the Kennedy tool boxes never held up. It was not unusual to see one with at least one broken drawer that sagged on one side or the other. Sometimes you would have to open the broken drawer before you could open the drawer below it. And they were always covered with dents and bends. The handle that is used to move the tool box, was often badly bent.

I'd often comment that I sure wish the company would buy a better tool box. Even if it were just a Craftsman. But there was always someone that would tell me how great these Kennedy tool boxes were. I'd look at the tool box and say "really?"

Sorry, but your toolbox with brown crinkle paint doesn't impress me in the least. It's been 25 years since I have worked at the plant. But to this day, every time I see a Kennedy tool box, I wonder what the fascination is with them.

There are two schools of thought on tool boxes, you have heard one of them in buy a cheap box it is the tools that make the money not the tool box.

Here is the other side. Cheap tool boxes are just that cheap. They do not hold up, the slides will fail, the drawers will start to sag, you will start to have a hard time opening and closing the drawers due to this and you will have a hard time securing the box due to the sagging drawers. The tool box itself will start to twist as you continue to put more tools into it adding weight it was never designed to handle.

I owned my last set of Snap On tool boxes from 1985 up till 2009, that is 24 years and the drawers still worked fine and none of the drawers sagged. These were all friction sliders as well with the exception of the bottom drawer which was ball bearings.

Back when I bought that box it was the biggest single bay tool box that Snap On made and I had both the bottom box and the top box. They were the KR650 and KR655 set. I was retiring in 2010 and decided to buy myself a retirement present for all my tools for my own use and bought a set of double bay Snap On boxes with a side box. They are the KRL722, KRL791 and the KRL711 boxes. 95% of my tools are Snap On. I have some Mac and some Matco some Cornwell as well as some other specialty tools from KD, OTC and a few others.

My advice is find a good quality tool box used that is from Snap On or Matco. I would stay away from Cornwell and Mac unless you can find a really great deal on a used Mac box but Snap On and Matco are better boxes in my opinion with Snap On first and Matco second. I would also stay away from the store bought boxes from Northern Tool, Harbor Freight and Sears. Todays Craftsman boxes are not the same Craftsman boxes from 25 years ago.

I started out with a 3 drawer used Craftsman bottom box in 1979 and quickly traded it in on a set of Snap On KR555 and KR557 boxes, then added the center box for that set and a side box. As I out grew that box I traded it for the KR650 KR655 set that I kept for 24 years.

My current Snap On double bay bottom, top and side box will last me the rest of my life to pass on to one of my grand children one day. I am just a do it yourselfer these days and my personal tool inventory comes out to $47,758 and change not counting my two floor jacks, motorcycle jack and my air compressor.

The only advantage a name brand box would have for you at this point is trade in value. If you have a Harbor Freight box you can take it home or sell it on classifieds but the tool man is not going to want it.

Back