Took the initial hook- Heber City Police called and said I missed a court date

When I receive calls saying that I will be arrested unless I pay a bill immediately, or arrested for any other reason. I say great, even better yet if you could send my cousins, uncles, or auntie that are all officers. They hang up on me every time.

Before installing our Call Sentry box when we got calls like that I would just tell them to come get me, I'm armed to the teeth and waiting for them.
I had a caller threaten to have a warrant for my arrest issued and that I could be facing up to 5 years in prison. I replied that I was pretty stressed at work and could really use the time off so could they just skip the formalities and come get me now? I can't believe the guy hung up on me... :LOL:

What, you didn't just pull a quart out of the trunk of your car?
When I was selling wholesale lubes, I always had a case or two in the trunk. New products, demos, whatever. Maybe a dozen times over the decades on the job, I saw people with their hood up, holding a dipstick with a look of despair on their face. Often the story would be the oil light was on, and they had no money for oil, or there was none close to purchase. I'd fill them up, give them a quart or two for spares, and send them on their way. When they would try to pay me, or apologize for being unable to, I'd tell them not to worry about it. Maybe help someone else when they had opportunity, and consider our product when making future purchases.

What i'm curious about, is how do these scammers have police departments and other names show up on caller id? How do they spoof their phone numbr as someone elses?

Seems the phone networks could stop some of this if they wanted to.

Caller ID is so easy to change it is not funny. I manage the phones at work and all I have to do is change an entry in the phone system for my DID and it will become anything I make it.

What i'm curious about, is how do these scammers have police departments and other names show up on caller id? How do they spoof their phone numbr as someone elses?

Seems the phone networks could stop some of this if they wanted to.
That's what they've been doing for years. If you install any kind of software for calling on your computer, as you computer doesn't have a number, you could put in whatever number you want. That's why spoofing is easy.

And you're in luck, the major phone companies have implemented Shaken/Stir last month which requires the phone number to be verified and not spoofed, but not all carriers were required to do it, some of the smaller ones didn't have to do it for a while.

Caller ID is so easy to change it is not funny. I manage the phones at work and all I have to do is change an entry in the phone system for my DID and it will become anything I make it.

Yep - was going to post exactly that. I manage a Cisco phone system, changing the caller ID is a 20 second process.

Never answer phone call these days, if they do leave a name and I'll search online to call back from the 1800 number I found from the big corp or gov. I do not trust anyone.

Usually I found it easier to just tell them this person got murdered last week, and if they know the person of interest. They usually got scared and won't stay on the call for long.

Reactions: GON
There's a scam going on around here with the Power Company. A pre-recorded message calls and says " You need to call 1-800- scammo"....to keep the power on.

Another big mistake you made is when they asked if you are Mr. xxxxx, you answered yes. NEVER SAY YES! I always say “who is this” or “he is not here right now”.
I might even say I’m only house sitting. (I normally don’t bother answering the phone, just wait for voicemail).

BTW, have not seen the following addressed.

With Some spam calls, when you answer, there is nobody there? Or hang up even before you speak. These are Robo Calls meant for FAX Machines. If a call comes in to a Fax, the robo caller tries selling you paper, ink, etc, using up your paper etc. Friend of mine left his Fax on all night. Next morning, found many fax messages.

When called, the receiving Fax puts out a tone different than your voice phone. When the transmitting fax hears that tone, it starts sending that spam fax. If it foes not hear that fax tone, the transmitter fax hangs up.

The transmitter robo faxer does not know if the phone number it is calling is a regular number or a fax number.

About four years ago someone was spoofing the real IRS number. They left a voicemail in perfect English saying that I owed back taxes as I hadn't filed. I know that I did as I've had receipts. The number on my caller ID was the real IRS number. Yes it's scary that they are getting that sophisticated.

I had a woman try some funny stuff at the grocery store this morning. I was loading a few groceries into my truck. She pulled up and asked if I had a gas can. She claimed to be low on gas and late for church. She was driving a Volvo S60 with a car lot tag on it. My radar went off immediately. I believe that she was trying to set me up for something. There are gas stations 1/2 mile in either direction. I watched her for a little while. She pulled into a parking space for a very short time and later moved to another. I won’t play their game. I should have called the law on her.
What would you have told them?

Another big mistake you made is when they asked if you are Mr. xxxxx, you answered yes. NEVER SAY YES! I always say “who is this” or “he is not here right now”.
I might even say I’m only house sitting. (I normally don’t bother answering the phone, just wait for voicemail).
A scammer once asked, "Can you hear me?" Do not say "Yes." End the call immediately. Let them call back and leave a message.

The scam was when the OP calked back the scammer and he gave them his name,DOB and SS number.

Back